Toronto James Cooper Mansion | ?m | 32s | Tridel | Burka

Well with any luck, all the St. Jamestown buildings will be demo'd and replaced a la Regent Park at some point.

The two aren't remotely comparable. Forget ownership, Regent Park is being replaced through up zoning and, AFAIK, St Jamestown is still one of the densest blocks in Toronto. I just don't see tearing down a 30 storey, 500+ unit making economic sense unless you allow around 2000 units in return including replacement units.

Far more likely to see the buildings' refurbished partly through intensification. The surface parking lots provide lots of developable space and the one to two storey underground levels beneath can be rebuilt with increased capacity.

Last edited:
St Jamestown is still one of the densest blocks in Toronto..

Actually its Canada's most densely populated community, and one of the most densely populated neighbourhoods anywhere in North America

I just don't see tearing down a 30 storey, 500+ unit making economic sense unless you allow around 2000 units in return including replacement units.

I agree, but again what is the lifespan on a 50 year old high-rise, sooner or later they will have to go.

I think their lifespan is a lot longer than 50 years. Fuller or Flatiron building in NYC has been around for over 100 years already, and likely will be for a lot longer.

May and June Construction Photos

Here's some construction photos of James Cooper Mansion.

May 2009

200905construction-1200.jpg

Excavation of the parking garage below the Mansion's transfer slab. I guess it helps not to think what is above you.

200905construction2-1200.jpg

What it takes to hold the walls back on the west part of the site.

200905construction3-1200.jpg

June 2009

Excavation of the elevator shaft. The crane pad is getting ready to be poured.

200906construction0-1200.jpg

Installation of the crane.

200906construction1-1200.jpg

Last edited:
Cranes will still go up all over the place, projects will likely just be smaller here for a while. Less large scale multi (100+) units for the next while though. Thats ok, we will build more streetscape while we wait for the big ones again...:)

James Cooper Mansion

Here's a photo taken on June 30, 2009 by one of our warranty staff.

20090630construction-1000.jpg

Oh wow, that looks amazing. I've got to get over there and photograph this site before the amazing underpinnings are covered up.

Back