Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

It is in the Hwy 407 corridor and not under Brampton control as it is own by Hydro One. Its my understanding, the border between the 2 cities is the middle of 407 hwy.
As much as Hydro One controls its corridors with an iron fist, I'm sure that the municipality that the corridor lies in could run interference.
Putting the border in the middle of the 407 would make sense. I know Mississauga did a swap with Halton to that purpose.

The border is the southern boundary of the "greenbelt" strip, which includes the hydro field as well as Highway 407. The GO park and ride lot at Hurontario and the 407 is in Brampton. Where the hydro field meets the CN Halton Sub between Bramalea and Torbram, that becomes the border.

As I understood, the maintenance facility buildings would be where the driving range is, betwen the 407 and the hydro field. I'm not sure who owns that parcel (MTO, Hydro One, or another ministry or agency).

Last edited:
What were the other locations considered?
Metrolinx wanted it to be on Dundas in Cooksville by CP tracks. The idea was to have it there so it would service the Dundas LRT line and before the change to BRT.

There isn't any land in that area to support the yard without closing off streets and tearing up employment and residential building. The other location was over by Dixie Rd on Dundas where that strip Box store complex was built.

Another area was south of 401 on Hurontario, let alone the north side, but $$ was the big issues as well lost of employment land.

Metrolinx wanted it to be on Dundas in Cooksville by CP tracks. The idea was to have it there so it would service the Dundas LRT line and before the change to BRT.

There isn't any land in that area to support the yard without closing off streets and tearing up employment and residential building. The other location was over by Dixie Rd on Dundas where that strip Box store complex was built.

Another area was south of 401 on Hurontario, let alone the north side, but $$ was the big issues as well lost of employment land.

Thanks.....the reason I asked was because even though I firmly believe the northern half of this line (MCC to Brampton) can be very well served now and in future with BRT (I know you disagree so no need to re-hash all that) I fully recognize that if you are gonna build the yard at Hurontario and 407 (meaning you have to run track that far north anyway) you really are left with only 3 options for a terminus.....1) at the 407 2) Steeles or 3) Brampton GO (of course there are people in Brampton who would suggest a 4th option much further north but lets leave that out).

So, as much as I don't believe the northern half of this LRT makes much sense....you have to see that the yard location is, to some extent, taking that decision away.

Last edited:

I don't recall ever hearing about the Cookville location. I do recall talk of the one near Dixie and Dundas, and 401 and Hurontario. I think there was also one location under consideration on City-owned land north of Dundas near Mavis if memory serves me. Maybe you're calling the Mavis one Cooksville. It was dropped for the same reason as the Dixie one.

I don't recall ever hearing about the Cookville location. I do recall talk of the one near Dixie and Dundas, and 401 and Hurontario. I think there was also one location under consideration on City-owned land north of Dundas near Mavis if memory serves me. Maybe you're calling the Mavis one Cooksville. It was dropped for the same reason as the Dixie one.
No Mavis was not the One for Cooksville.

Mavis would have been a worse location than the other one as there is nothing there in the first place.

I believe there were plans to rationalize the border between Brampton and Mississauga to be the 407, but as it stands, the border has still not changed, and is still just south of the 407.

The maintenance facility is to be located between the 407 and the hydro lines just south of it and Kennedy to the east with a track to Hurontario running along TopFlight Dr.
If Brampton doesn't want or can't decide about the LRT then swing it east at Derry to the Airport and Malton. Following this route, there is a lot of land at the corner of Airport and Derry that the city could "expropriate" from the GTAA for the maintenance facility.

I don't believe the city can expropriate any GTAA land since the land is Federal and on long term lease to the GTAA. That land in question (probably the old McDonnell Douglas Canada plant) could one day be used for another runway or cargo terminal. Something needs to be done to get this sorted out now. As someone who works in Port Credit, this project needs to start without delay.

re: funding

Patricia Lonergan ‏@Canuckscribe 22m

Leave transportation up to the experts, McCallion says. Also suggests LRT along Hurontario shld be 100% paid for by province.

If the border is moved to the 407, then the yard will be in Mississauga. The province should just move the border and fund it up to the yard. Brampton will get it when they sort out their issues. The province can't let municipalities walk all over the plans.

If the border is moved to the 407, then the yard will be in Mississauga. The province should just move the border and fund it up to the yard. Brampton will get it when they sort out their issues. The province can't let municipalities walk all over the plans.

what's the point of consultations then? And, keep in mind, this is a project originated by the municipalities.

Back