Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Putting the "what's best for Brampton" argument aside for a minute, one of the primary purposes of the LRT is to get people to and from the Brampton GO station as quickly and conveniently as possible. From a system-wide point-of-view it's critical that the LRT connect to the GO station. The result should be a boon for downtown Brampton businesses and landowners. The only reason not to connect it straight up Main street is it will run past a few dozen heritage houses. I suspect it will come down to who has more money - the NIMBY's who own the heritage houses along Main Street or the developers who own property in Downtown Brampton.

It's not only the NIMBYS who doesn't want congestion inside the most prized heritage area Brampton has to offer. So it is in the best interest of Brampton to stop the route at Steeles if they can't decide on the route to get the LRT started. Hopefully DT Brampton will be congestion free whatever they decide on. We are just happy of Michael Freeman's proposed route as an alternative, to get other residents of this City see what route is truly beneficial. Not just one dedicated route proposed by Metrolinx PEOPLe

It's not only the NIMBYS who doesn't want congestion inside the most prized heritage area Brampton has to offer. So it is in the best interest of Brampton to stop the route at Steeles if they can't decide on the route to get the LRT started. Hopefully DT Brampton will be congestion free whatever they decide on. We are just happy of Michael Freeman's proposed route as an alternative, to get other residents of this City see what route is truly beneficial. Not just one dedicated route proposed by Metrolinx PEOPLe

I think you need to be careful with the word "we"....sometimes these boards interpret the words of one Bramptonian to be a proxy for all Bramptonians....and that is not the case. ;)

... the most prized heritage area Brampton has to offer.
Quoted for irony!

I can't imagine anyone so anti-transit that they wouldn't think that running the line up Hurontario is a no-brainer.

And what has running LRT have to do with a heritage area or not. The tracks go in the middle of the street. Not the middle of the houses. #fail

Quoted for irony!

I can't imagine anyone so anti-transit that they wouldn't think that running the line up Hurontario is a no-brainer.

And what has running LRT have to do with a heritage area or not. The tracks go in the middle of the street. Not the middle of the houses. #fail

So now if you don't like to run the LRT through Main Street downtown that makes you anti-transit! Wow!

Let me make it clear for you again ... I am Pro-Transit/ LRT, but anti-LRT in DT Main Street Brampton, You wanna know why?
ILL give you a no brainier : dedicated LRT lane + car lanes + narrow sidewalks = ??? Guess what ??? CONGESTION !

Pls tell me that equation will not create a congested DT! So I can quote you for irony! Now that's a NO BRaINER!

Or maybe you wanna suggest some other heritage place in Bramtpon to make it an iconic city? Pls tell me

Last edited:
So now if you don't like to run the LRT through Main Street downtown that makes you anti-transit! Wow!

Let me make it clear for you again ... I am Pro-Transit/ LRT, but anti-LRT in DT Main Street Brampton, You wanna know why?
ILL give you a no brainier : dedicated LRT lane + car lanes + narrow sidewalks = ??? Guess what ??? CONGESTION !

Pls tell me that equation will not create a congested DT! So I can quote you for irony! Now that's a NO BRaINER!

Or maybe you wanna suggest some other heritage place in Bramtpon to make it an iconic city? Pls tell me

In your equation, however, the cars are not mandated to travel on Main.....they may choose to or, as water finds its level, they may balance out and travel elsewhere. There is a choice that can be exercised.

Light rail fights congestion by getting people out of their cars. The average number of people per automobile is about 1.3. See this link.

auto capacity.jpg

It's cars that cause congestion. Get rid of the cars, you get rid of congestion.

Attachments

• auto capacity.jpg
    auto capacity.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
how so? the route goes straight up with the exception of the loop around MCC which will act as more of a branch than a detour.

Why not implement something similar to Waterloo's LRT in Downtown Brampton? Their solution for getting a high capacity LRT through Downtown Kitchener and Uptown Waterloo was to split the northbound/southbound tracks to two parallel side streets that are walking distance from each other. The LRT tracks could potentially split at Main and Wellington, with northbound continuing up Main and southbound going on the parallel George Street. From there they can join at Brampton GO.

At the end of the day, the LRT needs to go through downtown Brampton in some way, considering it is the most transit friendly, most walkable, most dense, and arguably the most interesting part of Brampton. It would not make sense to detour all the way to another concession road and find some roundabout way of getting to Brampton, increasing the price tag just to avoid a relatively small section of Main Street. Also, splitting the northbound/southbound tracks can increase the coverage area of the LRT.

I think the arguments about LRTs ruining Brampton's heritage are silly. South of Wellington, where's the heritage? All those supposed historical homes are hidden behind trees, the road looks no different from any other suburban arterial, or like Queen Street south of the railway tracks at streetsville. North of wellington, the LRT will add life into the massive plaza on Main and Queen, though I do admit it would be hard to squish a right-of-way into the already narrow road...but that could be solved by putting the southbound lane on George St instead as I mentioned above.

Why not implement something similar to Waterloo's LRT in Downtown Brampton? Their solution for getting a high capacity LRT through Downtown Kitchener and Uptown Waterloo was to split the northbound/southbound tracks to two parallel side streets that are walking distance from each other. The LRT tracks could potentially split at Main and Wellington, with northbound continuing up Main and southbound going on the parallel George Street. From there they can join at Brampton GO.

At the end of the day, the LRT needs to go through downtown Brampton in some way, considering it is the most transit friendly, most walkable, most dense, and arguably the most interesting part of Brampton. It would not make sense to detour all the way to another concession road and find some roundabout way of getting to Brampton, increasing the price tag just to avoid a relatively small section of Main Street. Also, splitting the northbound/southbound tracks can increase the coverage area of the LRT.

I think the arguments about LRTs ruining Brampton's heritage are silly. South of Wellington, where's the heritage? All those supposed historical homes are hidden behind trees, the road looks no different from any other suburban arterial, or like Queen Street south of the railway tracks at streetsville. North of wellington, the LRT will add life into the massive plaza on Main and Queen, though I do admit it would be hard to squish a right-of-way into the already narrow road...but that could be solved by putting the southbound lane on George St instead as I mentioned above.

so....a one way loop?

Back