Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

They wanted to interline the Jane & Eglinton LRT with the St. Clair streetcar. However, now that they are different track gauges, they will not be able to.
That was to be done under Transit City plan. There was talk that St Clair would be cut off from the rest of TTC system when it came to replace the tracks in 20 years so they would be standard gauge to deal with Metrolinx system.

Then, Jane St has fallen off the map at this time.

Taking the line into Port Credit will be the same gauge as Hurontario once they decided what to do with the Lakeshore Rd.

I see the LRT going east to Long Branch on the Lakeshore and it already on the books to be done. When is unknown at this time.

I can't see the line going west other than to the Imperial lands if it can be use for residential as there is nothing west to support it in the first let alone getting bus service done to 5 minutes from it current 20 due to loooow density.

I still prefer to see the line going on Port St, as Lakeshore is the only through road over the Port Credit River south of the QEW. Do do so, you need to remove all on street parking and some ways not a bad thing to do.

The last time that any streetcar or radial car travelled to Port Credit was on October 14, 1945. See this link to route 507 Long Branch.
The Hurontario is stopping in Port Credit, but not in the centre of it. It stopping at the GO station for now.

I am the candidate that wrote the proposal for changing the route of the LRT in Brampton. I welcome all of your input as I am seeking to have the best route possible for Brampton. I believe that my proposal is an improvement over the other options. Other politicians are pushing for a tunnel to Williams Pkwy or for it to stop at Steeles. I will try to do a multi-quote to respond to some of you while not flooding this thread.

The McLaughlin-OBRY route may not be perfect, but neither is the current route. My aim is to get a discussion started locally about where the best route is.

Creating a wider sidewalk for a more complete street is one of the reasons why I proposed this route compared to the downtown alignment which would not be able to create a successful pedestrian experience due to the narrow width of the right of way. The proposed removal of local bus service on Main St is another concern with the large distances between stops.

As far as I know, in Brampton I am the only one to have proposed an alternate route with a map. I know Peter Robertson drew a map with the LRT heading west to Churchville, up the same rail line then across Queen St to the PMH site.

I'll blame that one on spell-check. I have fixed it, thank you.

A section of the downtown route will run in mixed traffic. Having trains wait in traffic behind left turning cars plus waiting for the lane switch at Wellington will reduce the time difference.

There are more redevelopment sites along my proposed route. The current route services the Brampton Mall area. The rest of the route is the Historical District and a park along the Etobicoke Creek. My route gives better access to the Malta Road development (450 units), Sheridan Davis Campus, the Flower City Community Campus (65 acres & possible university site), plus redevelopment of the Queen West(aimed at 200 people plus jobs per hectare).

The cost savings of not having to replace the superstructure of the 2 Etobicoke creek bridges should go a long way to covering the cost of the extra distance. The tunnel from Nanwood to the Go station would be ~2km or $500 million at crosstown LRT cost. The cost of ~2km surface LRT is about $150 million. My route would be less as a portion would run in a rail right of way.

I was not involved in municipal politics at that time.

There would be little development on the part of the route that I am diverting. I'm afraid I can't do much about my writing style, but I wanted to do more than the usual bullet points and buzz words that most politicians use.

Also I said that running LRT in mixed traffic lanes would make that section effectively like a streetcar. In that section (apart from the driver cab at either end) it would look and operate very similar to the new Toronto streetcars.

We are with you in this proposed route, As this is the most beneficial route for Brampton, thankyou for looking out for the Future of Brampton.

Last edited:
The restaurant/banquet hall "Spot 1" in Brampton hosted a transit debate for municipal candidates in Mississauga and Brampton.

Couldn't make it myself but did see this tweet from it that I found interesting:

Fazal Khan ‏@fazal4brampton 2h
Lots of opposition from #mississauga candidates on #LRT. #misspoli #brampoli
8:12 PM - 12 Aug 2014 ·

Any idea why there has been no update on the Environmental Project Report (EPR). It said it was sent to the Minister of Environment on July 18th and the Minister had until August 22nd to make a decision. Another part of the project website said the decision was on the 25th. Both dates have passed and no news regarding approval of the EPR has surfaced.... any idea what gives?

They are still debating on Brampton route wether it should go through main st in the downtown or not,"! I think they are gonna stop it at steeles. Which is a good idea so they can later reroute it to Sheridan college, as per Michael Freeman's proposed route which is the most beneficial route for Brampton

They are still debating on Brampton route wether it should go through main st in the downtown or not,"! I think they are gonna stop it at steeles. Which is a good idea so they can later reroute it to Sheridan college, as per Michael Freeman's proposed route which is the most beneficial route for Brampton

Idiots. What's the likelihood that this idiocy will prevail?

Idiots. What's the likelihood that this idiocy will prevail?

Can we stop with the "idiots"....people have a right to debate and discuss how any of these things interact with their community.

The whole line has been subject to debate and discussion....why not this part? Were the people in the south end "idiots" for opposing it so strongly based on what it would "do to" the old village of Port Credit? Were the people in the middle part of it "idiots" for taking what was supposed to be a single ride, straight through, route between Brampton and Port Credit and making it loop around MCC? Were they then "idiots" for then seeing that the loop now meant that it was better if it were not a single ride and there should be a change of trains at MCC?

If not for the election, Brampton would be done with this debate now....but we are in an election and candidates are attempting to differentiate themselves and this is an issue they are doing that on. Some (like the current mayor) fully support the ML plan of surface vehicles going up Main to Church Street....others (like Mr. Freeman) are supportive of a re-routing of the line over to Sheridan then north to DT....still others are bringing up the notion (again) of tunneling under Main from north of Steeles to Church. Still others are looking at this line for the first time (elections do that) and wondering what it brings to Brampton at all.

Come November, ML will likely (as they should) attempt to focus whoever makes up council in Brampton on making a decision on this....until then, debate can/will/should happen.

Putting the "what's best for Brampton" argument aside for a minute, one of the primary purposes of the LRT is to get people to and from the Brampton GO station as quickly and conveniently as possible. From a system-wide point-of-view it's critical that the LRT connect to the GO station. The result should be a boon for downtown Brampton businesses and landowners. The only reason not to connect it straight up Main street is it will run past a few dozen heritage houses. I suspect it will come down to who has more money - the NIMBY's who own the heritage houses along Main Street or the developers who own property in Downtown Brampton.

Putting the "what's best for Brampton" argument aside for a minute, one of the primary purposes of the LRT is to get people to and from the Brampton GO station as quickly and conveniently as possible. From a system-wide point-of-view it's critical that the LRT connect to the GO station. The result should be a boon for downtown Brampton businesses and landowners. The only reason not to connect it straight up Main street is it will run past a few dozen heritage houses. I suspect it will come down to who has more money - the NIMBY's who own the heritage houses along Main Street or the developers who own property in Downtown Brampton.

re: the bolded bits....on the one hand you want to put aside what is best for Brampton (which in and of itself is weird thing to ask people in Brampton to do) but on the other hand you extoll the virtues of this for Brampton?

I think my position on this fairly clear....I have been opposed to the province/ml spending money on the northern half of this line (which I have always defined as being from MCC north) as it is a way overbuild of capacity and that part of the line could/would be adequately served by Viva type BRT.....that said, if the thing is to be built in its entirety, the only approach that makes sense is the approach that ML are currently proposing.

As I have said before, though, this notion that it will lead to massive development (and the profits from said development) in Dowtnown Brampton is just not supported by fact or by the existance of any significant sites to be developed.

Back