Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

They sure did.

Just went on another walk today. But I was beaten to the punch lol. But I’ll post them regardless.

IMG_2700.jpeg
IMG_2701.jpeg
IMG_2702.jpeg
IMG_2703.jpeg

They will strip the formwork on Wednesday, backfill it and then mill the road. They may even pave it as well, depending on what taking place at Absolute intersection.

May 12
All photos for various areas are now on line on my site

Milling machine for Absolute and Elm intersection with paving equipment at Sq Dr
53721825416_4d77662a27_b.jpg

North 403 pier poured.
53722160844_ba7063a4d9_b.jpg

Top of ramp retaining wall has to be partly rebuilt as it was too low that it was supposed to be.
53722473374_f0d326fb43_b.jpg

53722569670_714a290a9c_b.jpg

Ramp to Rathburn ready to be backfill to start the guideway to the station that was to happen last year.
53722473169_0530a1c0b4_b.jpg

Sorry for the quality, as I'm not nearly the caliber of photographer that this forum often sees.
Pfffft I don't think anyone cares about the quality of the photos unless you were shooting them using a webcam from the early 2000's. The more photos the better!

Op-ed from Mayor Brown: https://www.qpbriefing.com/news/a-n...of-the-lrt-is-a-feather-in-premier-ford-s-cap

A New Era for Brampton: Phase 2 of the LRT is a feather in Premier Ford's cap​

Together, with sustained support from our provincial leaders, we can look forward to a city that is not only growing but thriving in its new era.
Published May 15, 2024 at 1:15pm

By Patrick Brown
1715800315069.png

Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown speaks during a press conference to announce his intention to re-run for mayorship, at city hall in Brampton, Ont., on Monday, July 18, 2022. (Cole Burston/The Canadian Press)

As Mayor of Brampton, Canada’s fastest-growing large city, I am privileged to witness the transformational changes shaping our community. The approval of Phase 2 of the LRT project by Premier Doug Ford and Ontario Transportation Minister Prabmeet Sarkaria is a monumental advancement for our region, linking our past to our future in a manner that honours Brampton's unique heritage and addresses our modern needs.

Premier Ford's commitment to enhancing Peel region's connectivity draws inspiration from the visionary leadership of the late Bill Davis, a Brampton legend and former Ontario Premier, who first brought GO Train service to our city. Continuing this legacy, Premier Ford has extended robust transit solutions across Ontario, including significant projects in Mississauga, Toronto, and Hamilton.

The choice of a tunnelled route for the downtown section of Brampton’s Phase 2 LRT is pivotal. By tunneling beneath Brampton’s historic downtown, we preserve the integrity of heritage buildings and maintain the aesthetic appeal of our narrow streetscapes. This method prevents additional surface-level congestion, ensuring traffic flow and pedestrian safety in our bustling city centre, and mitigates environmental impacts, maintaining the livability of our urban core. This was the same solution which has worked for many other higher order transit lines in the GTHA. This includes underground sections for the Eglinton Crosstown, the Ontario Line, at both ends of the Finch West LRT, and a significant grade separation in the centre of the LRT line in Hamilton. Even the Port Credit Station at the south end of the Hazel McCallion line is underground.

Furthermore, tunneling allows for more flexible urban planning. It frees up the Main Street corridor for housing and employment density which is critical in a growing City. It also preserves the ability for further LRT extensions down the road. By moving transit underground for the final portion of the LRT Phase 2, we enhance overall safety and streamline city logistics without the complications of surface-level crossing and the existing underground channels. Importantly, this phase of the LRT also paves the way for an additional 30,000 housing units, a significant step in addressing our city’s housing needs in the midst of a national housing crisis.

It was Bill Davis who wisely pointed out back in 2015 that a surface alignment would not serve Brampton's best interests. His foresight has been invaluable, steering us away from potential pitfalls reminiscent of earlier rushed projects like the Eglinton Crosstown. This time, with comprehensive planning and community consultation, the government has ensured that the LRT's design aligns with Brampton's long-term urban strategy.
The collaboration between the provincial government and Brampton's leadership underlines a shared commitment to not just discussing public transit improvements but actively realizing them. This partnership is highlighted by the recent tour I took of Alstom Canada in Brampton, where innovative, green transportation solutions are being developed. Alstom's contribution extends beyond Brampton as they are also building trains for the Finch West and Ottawa LRT projects. With 170 local employees, Alstom is instrumental in bolstering our economy and reinforcing our status as a hub of technological innovation.

This transformative project, supported ardently by Premier Ford and Minister Sarkaria, ensures that Brampton is not only a participant but a leader in modern, sustainable urban development. Their dedication to a tunnelled approach showcases a commitment to quality and foresight over mere expediency.

As we look forward to the implementation of this project, we are reminded of the power of visionary leadership and strategic collaboration. Phase 2 of the LRT is a pillar of Brampton's future growth, community connectivity, and a tribute to those who see the potential for a greater, more connected Ontario.

This project highlights our collective resolve to build a safer, more prosperous Brampton, and demonstrates the enduring benefits of thoughtful, well-planned urban transit solutions. Together, with sustained support from our provincial leaders, we can look forward to a city that is not only growing but thriving in its new era.

Patrick Brown has served as mayor of Brampton since 2018. He's a former leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario (2015-18) and a former Conservative MP for Barrie (2006-15).
The views, opinions and positions expressed by all iPolitics columnists and contributors are the author’s alone. They do not inherently or expressly reflect the views, opinions and/or positions of iPolitics.

May 15
My plans for today got change yesterday that allow me to kill a lot of things and more today.

Elm Dr
Sign said intersection to open May 16 now and will happen if paving equipment shows from where every it coming from as it gone from Absolute Dr and Sq One Dr. When I looked at it at noon, concrete barriers were gone and replaced with pylons and tap. 25% of the northbound lane was back fill as well strip with the southbound strip and no backfilling. 5 hours later, all backfill and ready for paving.

Burnhamthorpe
The southbound turning lane is now open with the bus platform being removed. This will allow traffic to be shift to it when the start the T guideway work in July now with Sq One intersection work starting on May 21.

Absolute Dr
The intersection is now open and it has the same temporary walkway over that large hole like Elm and Matthew Gates and I found out why later on my trip. At Barondale they have pour a round curb in front of a concrete walkway that has a curb on both sides of it.

Sq One Dr
Starting May 21 for 2 months, the intersection will see the guideway built across both Sq One Dr and Hurontario. Saw no sign for the northbound traffic, but the southbound traffic not allow to make a left tun which is odd as you can only do a U-turn there unless the sign in the wrong location.

Elevated Section
Crew working on the Rathburn elevated section for the joints with a few joints having the concrete pier side poured for it, but most are missing as well a few on the Hurontario Section.

The south pier has been strip and ready for backfilling as well building the top to support the beams over the 403.

403-Kingsbridge
Hydro has most of the new poles in place and strung on the east side. Once hydro is done, the northbound curb lane can be open. The Substation at the south end of the plaza is now in place with a crew working on it.

Wintergarden-Nahani Way
Tracks have been installed along with ties and mesh waiting to be level and alignment so forming can take place

Nahani Way-Trailwood
50% of the southbound track has been poured in place with another 25% formed for pouring. 50% of the northbound track south of Trailwood formed and waiting to be pour. Not all of the northbound track in place.

Bristol-Barondale
Crew were placing ties for the northbound track on top of the mesh with the southbound track already fully in place waiting to be level and alignment to allow forming to take place.

Matheson Station
Starting May 27 no left turns for both directions for Hurontario traffic and no clue as to why other than concrete work for the intersection. No signs that I could see on Matheson regarding left turns at Hurontario
Seem the track work for this area has been an opps from track at the wrong level and location that had to be re-done. Forming of the station track as well 200' north of the station is almost complete to allow the tracks to be pour along with a topcoat as well.

The one thing I have noticed for both Matheson and Derry Station that they are set further away from the intersection compared to the other ones that have the base only. It looks like an engineering design error as the south end of the Matheson platform has holes drill in the end for rebar to be install to connect to something south of it like a platform extension. I need to look at Derry the next time I am up that way. As I noted about the forming of an extra 200' for Matheson platform with a topcoat, the extra addition is to be prepared for expanding the platform to support 2 LRV's at some future date.

Waltline Ave Crossover.
A few short sections missing rail along with a switch to connect to the southbound track

Brunel-Britannia
Crew cleaning up the guideway to start installing the mesh and then the ties and rails. Waiting for a bus, a trailer pull up to the area with a load of mess with the trailer been place there for storage. Did see a truck go south with a load of rail and most likely for the Queensway

Dundas-Queensway
Southbound lanes still not open. From the TD bank driveway to Dundas, the southbound lane is being dug up with the driveway to the plaza and the RBC close off.

Queensway
Did this on the spur of the moment and the police are going to have fun dealing with clueless drivers trying to left in all directions regardless of signs no left turn. In the short time I was there, no less then 10 drivers trying to turn even with the offices point no and saying no. Spoked to him and he said been that way all day and was looking forward 5:00pm when his shift was over and expecting a zoo after the 2 of them leave. He said there were 25 pay duty office out on the line today. Then a few pay ones were dealing with an accident just north of the Queensway for northbound traffic.

More to follow and be on line
Elm Dr
53724768945_2928b85c43_b.jpg

53723432827_11bc57e9ce_b.jpg

Absolute
53723425627_a3fddcf16e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh. By mentioning Bill Davis all those times, he sounds as bad as Steve Paiken. Brampton, at least, only has two and a half things named for Davis (a school, a college campus, and a courthouse also named for the father – half the things named for the Queen of Sprawl in Mississauga), but don’t forget Bill Davis helped to sink the LRT last time.
If we're naming a transit system because we're in denial about the damage decades of unchecked sprawl then Hazel McCallion is a good place to start. If we're naming a transit system for the benefit of wayfinding and navigation, then Hazel McCallion is a good place to stop.

If we're naming a transit system because we're in denial about the damage decades of unchecked sprawl then Hazel McCallion is a good place to start. If we're naming a transit system for the benefit of wayfinding and navigation, then Hazel McCallion is a good place to stop.
Around the world,lines are either known as a number or colour. Take line one to line to... or Take red line to the blue line....

Around the world,lines are either known as a number or colour. Take line one to line to... or Take red line to the blue line....
In Vancouver, do they refer to them as such? They have Canada Line, Millennium Line, etc.

I expect exactly no one to refer to this as the McCallion line except official communication.

In Vancouver, do they refer to them as such? They have Canada Line, Millennium Line, etc.

I expect exactly no one to refer to this as the McCallion line except official communication.
Just like Toronto, they are a rarity.
I know both Calgary and Montreal it is by colour.
I know Boston is colour. NYC is by number.
San Diego is by colour.

I would think if they have the line brown, it will be called the hazel line.

May 16
It will be the Hurontario line or line 10 to me.

Elm Dr intersection will be open sometime in the morning as it is fully paved and you can feel the heat from the asphalt about 7:45 after I got off the bus to have a look before heading home. They were loading the equipment on the trailers as the bus pass them.

Looked at the intersection at noon before heading into Toronto and the southbound was mill, but no paving equipment in sight.

I asked why the northbound lane wasn't mill since it was sitting on Elm and got answer that was dumb and why things are slow been done. The city only one side to be done at a time that goes against any other system that rail in the road. Every system I have seen where paving is taking place for an intersection have mill both sides at the same time to speed thing up and be ready for paving.

When I got on the bus, I said to myself it will be interesting to see what will be done today when I get back tonight.

The one thing I noticed tonight, Elm intersection is different from Matthew Gates as there is no hole in the crosswalk.

Ugh. By mentioning Bill Davis all those times, he sounds as bad as Steve Paiken. Brampton, at least, only has two and a half things named for Davis (a school, a college campus, and a courthouse also named for the father – half the things named for the Queen of Sprawl in Mississauga), but don’t forget Bill Davis helped to sink the LRT last time.

At least he didn't have a piece of failed legislation named after him yet - which I can't say the same for her worship.

AoD

It will always be the "Hurontario Line" to me.

I don't even refer to the subways by their numbers and still find myself calling them the Yonge, University & Bloor lines.
I'll call it the Hurontario line or the Highway 10 line. I don't think Hazel McCallion line rolls off the tongue for me.

Back