Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I really think that you could fit 4 tracks on the line with little or no expropriation. With sidings, it's already 3 tracks wide in many places and there's still room to spare.

There are some spots that can hold a 4th track, but not in the build up areas. From Dundas going east to Dixie will only support 3.

From Confederation to west of Erindale Station Rd, will only support 3.

The bend at Mississauga will require property to be bought on the west side. I have no idea how a grade separation can be built there without doing a major impact on the area.

Getting under the Erin Mills overpass has major issues for 3, let alone 4.

Going through Streetsville has some issues with the high school on the west side of the tracks as well crossings.

Since CP see less than 50 trains a day and mostly at night and 3 tracks is good enough for now to support 30 minute service 7 days a week.

There are sections that have 3 tracks in place with the 403 to Confederation section as one of them.

Council considers hiring light-rail consultant

By: The Mississauga News

March 27, 2008 09:21 AM -

Mayor Hazel McCallion is asking City of Mississauga staff to help explain the process for establishing a light-rail transit system along Hurontario St.
At yesterday’s City Council meeting, McCallion asked Martin Powell, commissioner of transportation and works, to prepare a document that lays out the process of implementing light-rail along the busy north/south corridor.
McCallion said she has received several calls on the subject. "I'm being asked questions, but I have no idea when it might possibly be in place," said McCallion.
Powell said the City is "very close" to hiring a consultant, along with the City of Brampton, to conduct a feasibility study on light-rail along Hurontario St.
"There are going to be many hurdles; for example, taking away two lanes of traffic (along Hurontario St.) is unfeasible," said Powell. "There are many, many steps to go through before light-rail."
When the provincial budget was announced Tuesday it included $26.5 million for a Dundas and Hurontario Higher-Order Transit Corridor Development in Peel.
"This (money) is related more to bringing in more buses. It's for trying to upgrade service," which might include a light-rail system somewhere down the road, said Powell.

"There are going to be many hurdles; for example, taking away two lanes of traffic (along Hurontario St.) is unfeasible,"

This is quite disappointing, to be honest. Even on the city's busiest transit corridor they are still unwilling to give priority to transit. The city has not changed its attitude at all.

This is quite disappointing, to be honest. Even on the city's busiest transit corridor they are still unwilling to give priority to transit. The city has not changed its attitude at all.

Yea, as I posted on SCC:

"If the city keeps thinking "taking away two lanes of traffic (along Hurontario St.) is unfeasible"... I dont think we will ever see LRT on Hurontario. It will mean going above ground or underground, and I doubt the cost of this will be seen as 'feasible'."

"There are going to be many hurdles; for example, taking away two lanes of traffic (along Hurontario St.) is unfeasible," said Powell. "There are many, many steps to go through before light-rail."

A light rail rapid transit right-of-way will be narrower than a right-of-way for a bus rapid transit. A bus needs a wider path, especially at higher speed. If a bus is crawling along slowly then, maybe, if they don't veer off the path.

Because a LRT is fixed, it doesn't need that much width, compared with a BRT.

Yea, as I posted on SCC:

"If the city keeps thinking "taking away two lanes of traffic (along Hurontario St.) is unfeasible"... I dont think we will ever see LRT on Hurontario. It will mean going above ground or underground, and I doubt the cost of this will be seen as 'feasible'."
The biggest challenge we face is shifting the mindset from cars to Transit. Leadership has to emerge from somewhere, and while I respect Hazel, I don't think she should listen to Powell. The only reason it's unfeasible is because it will be politically unpopular in the car-crazy suburbs.

Soon, the final bottleneck in Hurontario Street will be addressed - the 401 interchange where it narrows to 4 lanes over the late 1950s-era bridge. IIRC, as Hurontario was to be widened from 4 to 6 lanes, one lane in each direction was supposedly intended for HOVs. Never happened, of course, like all the 6-laning of suburban arterials in Peel region (Peel is really the only place you'll see these 6-lane arterials in the 905, apart from a few small segments in York Region).

A shame that they still feel that you can't take a lane away from general traffic. The MTO is really bad for this mentality - not putting in HOV lanes where they'd be most useful (ahem, 401), but using them to justify highway widenings.

Traffic Balance on Hurontario

As someone who actually uses and lives just off Hurontario, I'm also opposed to taking away any lanes off the road. I know the traffic patterns pretty well having grown up in this area all my life, and I agree with the Commissioner that its unfeasible.

In my opinion, there is more than enough room to create a centre median exclusively for the LRT to run on, while taking no lanes away.

From Matheson southward to Burnhamthorpe Road there is a landscaped median already in place which the LRT could simply occupy instead. South to Port Credit and north to Brampton, there is almost a continuous left turn lane running down the centre which also can be eleminated and turned over for the LRT.

The LRT will probably have to run in a mixed traffic lane south of the QEW to Port Credit where Hurontario narrows into 4 lanes into a beautiful established neighbourhood, the same would probably be done as you approach downtown Brampton.

Louroz

Even Mavis is now 6 lanes wide. So is Erin Mills of course. They want to widen Britannia to 6 lanes starting at Creditview and up to Hurontario I believe. And leave it at 4 lanes through Streetsville

In my opinion, there is more than enough room to create a centre median exclusively for the LRT to run on, while taking no lanes away.

From Matheson southward to Burnhamthorpe Road there is a landscaped median already in place which the LRT could simply occupy instead. South to Port Credit and north to Brampton, there is almost a continuous left turn lane running down the centre which also can be eleminated and turned over for the LRT.

Get rid of the one redeeming feature of Hurontario at the expense of the automobile? No thanks! We might as well just build highways throughout the entire city then.

The Confederation Parkway extension will take some pressure off Hurontario as well as a widened Mavis Road (not to mention the LRT itself would take pressure off Hurontario, even moreso if Dundas LRT and the Transitway are completed around the same time). There is no reason why we can't turn over one street (or 2 lanes in this case) in the city to higher order transit.

I agree. We need to make some sacrifices, and transit project should not be an excuse to widen roads.

The Confederation Parkway extension will take some pressure off Hurontario as well as a widened Mavis Road (not to mention the LRT itself would take pressure off Hurontario, even moreso if Dundas LRT and the Transitway are completed around the same time).

...And you can also factor in the future widening of McLaughlin (which is still only 2 lanes if you can believe it). They should be setting aside lanes for the buses right now, let alone for the LRT. Hurontario has only been 6 lanes since the mid-90's so you can't say it is "unfeasible" for it to be reduced back to 4 lanes.

Martin Powell's mentality is the reason why the city is in such a mess transportation-wise in the first place. With a little foresight and the right attitude Hurontario would have never had to be widened. Just work hard to increase transit ridership and none of the roads would have to be 6 lanes, except at the highway interchanges.

Speaking of widening roads at the expense of transit, I could not believe Mavis was widened north of Eglinton recently. It seemed to me that the bottleneck was at the 403 instead. The buses on Mavis are crowded like crazy and instead they needlessly widen the road. Just shows where their priorities are.

Speaking of widening roads at the expense of transit, I could not believe Mavis was widened north of Eglinton recently. It seemed to me that the bottleneck was at the 403 instead. The buses on Mavis are crowded like crazy and instead they needlessly widen the road. Just shows where their priorities are.

There was (and still is) a bottleneck at Matheson... Widening the road did nothing. The lights need to be timed so you dont go from a green only to stop at the next light because it is red.

I live just off Mavis yet rarely use it because of this. Hurontario and McLaughlin are the safer bets.

The 401 was originally built as 2 lanes in each direction. It was widened to 3 lanes. Then it was widened to 4 lanes. Then it was widened to 6 lanes across Toronto. Keep widening and widening, and it will always be grid-locked.
Do the same with Hurontario, and it will end up the same way. It will need even more lanes.
You need to get an LRT on Hurontario, now not later.

There was (and still is) a bottleneck at Matheson... Widening the road did nothing. The lights need to be timed so you dont go from a green only to stop at the next light because it is red.

I live just off Mavis yet rarely use it because of this. Hurontario and McLaughlin are the safer bets.

There are so many example of needless road widenings in Mississauga, like the widening of Dundas to six lanes despite the mandatory four lane sections at Erindale Village and in Cooksville.

And then there are the Peel-owned roads which are the worst because they tend to have 6 lanes and no sidewalks at the same time. They are planning to widen Britannia to 6 lanes where I live, yet everyday I have to deal with the lack of sidewalks on it.

Why is the point of widening roads when you can't eliminate their bottlenecks or you don't build sidewalks?

Sorry, that was kind of off-topic, but the obsession with wide roads kind of bothers me.

Back