Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Doady, a quick glance at a map would show that the relocations would be across the street in the case of Cooksville (or even right under Hurontario), and Erindale will be just across the highway. Erindale would be two minutes further from Burnhamthorpe but two minutes closer to Eglinton, and it would have the advantage of a potential direct connection with the 403 and adjacent busway.

Cooksville is well-located, but a stop at MCC would be much, much better located.

Doady, a quick glance at a map

Maybe you are the one who needs to look at a map. Relocation of Erindale would it away from from both Burnhamthorpe and Rathburn. Relocarions of COoksville station would take it even further from Cooksville itself. There are reasons why these two stations are among the busiest outside of the Lakeshore line. Cooksville in particular is busier than even Port Credit station.

Cooksville is well-located, but a stop at MCC would be much, much better located.

A stop at MCC would be much much more expensive. You might as well build a full subway for Hurontario at that cost. An underground LRT would serve far more people than any diversion of the Milton line.

Maybe you are the one who needs to look at a map. Relocation of Erindale would it away from from both Burnhamthorpe and Rathburn. Relocarions of COoksville station would take it even further from Cooksville itself. There are reasons why these two stations are among the busiest outside of the Lakeshore line. Cooksville in particular is busier than even Port Credit station.

Doady, as I said, it would take it slightly away from Burnhamthorpe (literally about a one minute drive) but closer to Eglinton. That's certainly a wash in terms of station location. I don't know how anyone could argue that Cooksville would be worse-located if it were right across Hurontario or, better still, under Hurontario with a southern exit right where the station is now.

A stop at MCC would be much much more expensive. You might as well build a full subway for Hurontario at that cost. An underground LRT would serve far more people than any diversion of the Milton line.

Doady, honestly, why such hostility to the plan? How on earth could one underground station cost as much as a full subway? The point of this system is to bring rapid transit running to the east and west right up to MCC, the hub of transit in Mississauga and by far the largest trip generator. It has nothing to do with providing local transit on Hurontario.

I also am wary of the idea of moving Cooksville GO and Erindale GO. As doady mentioned, Erindale GO is right beside Burnhamthorpe (which has frequent bus service). Moving it to Eglinton would make it harder to get to for transit users. Cooksville is also in a good location but a MCC stop would be useful too. But if to get MCC we'd have to drop either Cooksville or Erindale, I'd drop Cooksville, because people could just take the LRT to the MCC GO station. But I think it's all very theoretical at this point.

There would be no need to close Cooksville. I wouldn't even like the idea of a MCC diversion if Cooksville had to be closed.

Erindale would require to be relocated, yes. But a relocated station would have the benefit of connecting to the busway and even without rerouting Burnhamthorpe buses would still connect to the line at MCC.

There would be no need to close Cooksville. I wouldn't even like the idea of a MCC diversion if Cooksville had to be closed.

Erindale would require to be relocated, yes. But a relocated station would have the benefit of connecting to the busway and even without rerouting Burnhamthorpe buses would still connect to the line at MCC.

No it doesn't and to do so it asking rider that use transit to spend more time using it compare to the car folks.

You can put another station for the BRT over the 403 even though it is only a short distance from Erindale.

Then if GO starts to use shorter EMU with headway at 20 minutes, it will be just like a subway stop for this new station.

You can run two type of service where one stays on the current line while another use the MCC line.

The MCC would generate full load trains once this area gets full built out the will house over 100,000 residents and employ 35,000.

Again this tunnel could accommodate both bie-level cars as well EMU cars.

If you want to take another step for this tunnel, it could be built to support a subway that could be built in the future on Hurontario, but will require some real dispatching communication between GO and the subway line.

Why are we discussing moving these two GO Stations? Has there been a proposal to do this? Or is it just someone on here saying it would be cool?

The diversion up Hurontario could be at the same time as they're digging up the road for the LRT, so there would be no need for additional road closure. If you wanted, you could even dig a trench twice as deep, and make a bi-level tunnel segment with room for a subway/underground LRT above or below the longer distance trains.

Sorry if I come off a little hostile, I've been havign personal problmes lately, it has nothing to do with you.

In the past, I have been totally against the idea of a nother route for Milton line, but I have warmed up to it, but not the way you suggest.

I have thought about this before, and I think a diversion through Mississauga Valleys is much better than under Hurontario for several reasons:

1. Much cheaper. Built along an exisitng right-of-way. Cut-and-cover, elevated, at-grade, below-grade... lots of options, all cheaper than tunneling under Hurontario.

2. Can have a stop at the City Centre Transit Terminal. A diversion along Hurontario would be too far north to connect to the terminal.

3. Doesn't truncate one of the busiest and densest transit corridors in the GTA into three separate parts. Or create overlap between completely different modes of transit. Even as dense as Hurontario is, that kind of overlap is sort of a waste.

4. Less interference with Cooksville and Erindale stations. These rare stations that are perfectly located. Cooksville surrounded by high density, and Erindale at two (!!!) major intersections. Erindale is served by 4 different major bus routes even though none of them actually enter the station itself! It doesn't get any better than that. Most stations, even on the Lakeshore Line, are in very inaccessible locations, but not these.

You can see my proposed diversion of the Milton line here on this map, which many of you have seen already.

The "diversion" should act like a branch of the existing line. I don't like the idea of abandoning that section of Milton line, not only because of the aforementioned stations, but also because some sections here are already triple-tracked. So it seems like it would be a waste.

As for the Hurontario LRT, I think it should built with underground sections no matter what, and be upgraded to full subway at a later date.

Don't worry about it. That's a pretty good vision map! I agree with a lot of it. I especially like that you actually have been listening to me when it comes to the Downtown Relief Line and have located it along the actual recommended route! I also agree with most of your other ideas. That would certainly be quite a network!

Whether it's relocated through the valley or up Hurontario doesn't really matter to me that much. The reason for the Hurontario routing is to preserve the Cooksville Station. I know the interurban used to run through the valley, so there's a precedent, but I don't know if the nearby residents would be too amenable to a railway line through their backyards. It would also require more tunnelling than a Hurontario route, so there's some added cost. There's a big catch with splitting the route as you propose: if the route east of the split runs at a 20 minute frequency, that would mean that Square One/MCC would see trains only every 40 minutes. That's hardly sufficient for what would likely be the busiest stop on the GO system after Union. With the Hurontario diversion, the Cooksville station relocation would be inconsequential, while the Erindale station would move closer to Eglinton, making it potentially accessible to two bus routes instead of one.

Does "Mississauga Valleys" refer to that string of diagonal parks (Cedarbrae, Mackenzie, Brentwood, Mississauga Valleys, etc.)?

And this is really an aside, but why rename Finch on that map? 'North York Centre' cannot apply to any other station.

Getting a street ROW LRT along hurontario would be a huge feat, one it enters service.

What would be the point to such a diversion anyway? There's no way to include MCC without diminishing the relevance of both Cooksville and Erindale, which believe it or not already collectively serve as the GO's gateway into Square One.

An underground LRT as Doady's suggesting would actually be of more benefit to the greater number of pepole as the current stops wouldn't be in any jeopardy of getting shut down or relocated to inhospitable areas, doesn't inconvenience current Milton-bound passengers and doesn't overreach in expectations (this would still be an AM/PM peak-only service still dependant on filtering bus routes to connect outwards to nodes). Hence a LRT is of far more use providing a all-day connection along most of Huronatario not just a limited service during peak.

Back