Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

What does that have to do with excessive landscaping? It doesn't need to be new urbanist as such, but the place doesn't have to be buried in a jungle either.

How come at a time when new urbanism is supposed to be the wave of the future in suburbia, we're doing the opposite and hiding everything behind extensive landscaping?

Urban design is not a one-size-fits-all situation. You create walkable communities where is appropriate but where it's not appropriate you prioritize other things.

What does that have to do with excessive landscaping? It doesn't need to be new urbanist as such, but the place doesn't have to be buried in a jungle either.
because the location drives the design....and the location would look bizarre without landscaping....."excessive" will be in the eye of the beholder and we won't know what it looks like until we see it.....but, unless I misunderstand what people are suggesting by "new urbanism" I would think that would look equally out of place here.

^ By excessive I mean naturalized and basically unmaintained, which most people I've asked don't like.

Untitled.png

Seriously; suburban developments shouldn't look like this.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1 MB · Views: 891
What is considered leading edge in landscaping?. I daresay that by the time one adds together the gas mowers, the gas whippersnippers, and the gas leaf blowers, many landscaped areas generate more carbon than they absorb. Let alone cost of labour, fertilizer, weed control, etc. But the "leave it natural" unmaintained look is truly hideous, as you suggest.

Has anyone figured this out?

- Paul

What is considered leading edge in landscaping?. I daresay that by the time one adds together the gas mowers, the gas whippersnippers, and the gas leaf blowers, many landscaped areas generate more carbon than they absorb. Let alone cost of labour, fertilizer, weed control, etc. But the "leave it natural" unmaintained look is truly hideous, as you suggest.

Has anyone figured this out?

- Paul

That post confirms what I already suspected: Envinronmentalism is behind it all.

That post confirms what I already suspected: Envinronmentalism is behind it all.

I should hope so. You're suggesting that climate change is a hoax?

Veering back towards the Hurontario LRT topic - if we are debating the landscaping aspects of urban architecture, we are probably not in territory that would have enough density to support LRT to begin with. I would hope to see much more architecture where the green stuff is in that picture (not that green stuff is bad, but you get the point).

- Paul

When are we getting an update on the status from metrolinx or the city for this project?

Brampton City staff will be coming back with three "alternatives" to Main sometime before the end of March 2016. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this situation.

Brampton really dropped the ball on this one. We will see how receptive the Ontario Gov and metrilinx is going to be....

When will there be an update on the Mississauga side?

Brampton really dropped the ball on this one. We will see how receptive the Ontario Gov and metrilinx is going to be....

When will there be an update on the Mississauga side?

Indeed, they did. Of course TOareaFan I'm sure will jump in shortly and say, no, Brampton didn't and argue Brampton/Metrolinx should just build BRT and not LRT...

Mississauga staff produced a report in June 2015 that provided a basic timeframe of what would happen. I'll see if I can find it and post it. I think at this point they are probably working on the Master Agreement and getting ready to send out a request for proposals or qualifications. Actual construction won't start until 2018. The TPAP may need a small amendment to deal with Hurontario/Steeles. Not really sure.

Last edited:
There is a Planning and Development Meeting schedule for Feb 1 at City Hall at 7 pm on the redevelopment of the current GO land and surrounding area for Port Credit. There is to be some update on the LRT as well.

There is a report due to council on Feb 3 on the LRT line as well.

Indeed, they did. Of course TOareaFan I'm sure will jump in shortly and say, no, Brampton didn't and argue Brampton/Metrolinx should just built BRT and not LRT...

Wasn't planning to....and since you have taken the role of my spokesperson, probably no need to. ;)

What I was going to say was that Brampton (regardless of what happens north of steeles) is still a part of this project. Aside from the, what, 3 stops within Brampton that are still part of it, the maintenance and storage facility are within Brampton too. Again, irrespective of what happens north of Steeles, Brampton still has plan/co-ordinate their 502 and 2 routes around this project. Do they continue with one or both of those routes going to SQ1? (not likely) or do they both terminate at Steeles? (more likely) or do they go the "border" around the 407 and loop there so that they integrate with, both, the LRT and the GO buses along the 407 (this one is most likely...IMO).

EDIT: sorry, 4 stops within Brampton

Mississauga staff produced a report in June 2015 that provided a basic timeframe of what would happen. I'll see if I can find it and post it. I think at this point they are probably working on the Master Agreement and getting ready to send out a request for proposals or qualifications. Actual construction won't start until 2018. The TPAP may need a small amendment to deal with Hurontario/Steeles. Not really sure.

I think we are just in this inevitable "silence" period where the people charged with planning the route/service in detail have to take time to do it now that they have (+/-) their marching orders from their political masters.

Last edited:

Back