Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

2001?? Yeah right.

Now you're just making sh!t up.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/reports/rtes2002.pdf

The entire eglinton line, the same thing as what they proposed to do back in 1995 before Harris cut it off. Not the crosstown, I mentioned nothing about the crosstown. Just Eglinton west. I can't believe I have to clarify myself and this There was an entire discussion about on this very forum, and where were you?

The entire eglinton line, the same thing as what they proposed to do back in 1995 before Harris cut it off. Not the crosstown, I mentioned nothing about the crosstown. Just Eglinton west. I can't believe I have to clarify myself and this There was an entire discussion about on this very forum, and where were you?
Living in Toronto.

I get it -- by talk you meant a study, one of many in this city that went nowhere fast. I meant actual talk, as in there was almost no expectation in 2001 when Harris was in office that something would soon happen on Eglinton.

That study rejected the eglinton subway from further consideration, because it's not cost effective. How does that bolster your argument that it should have been a subway?

That is only possible if the LRT actually delivers people/customers....I don't think it does/will.

The whole purpose of the Hurontario LRT is to allow a major increase the residential and commercial density along the corridor. My understanding is the City's planning and urban design departments are anticipating a lot of new residential development around the GO Station, along George Street and along Queen Street over the next ten to twenty years. There will also be a major mixed use node (and mobility hub) at Steeles and Hurontario in the future and many of those people will travel north the the GO station every day. Downtown Brampton has the potential to become a major pedestrian-oriented hub and may become one of the most desirable neighbourhoods to live in the whole GTA in the future.

That study rejected the eglinton subway from further consideration, because it's not cost effective. How does that bolster your argument that it should have been a subway?

I said talking didn't I? But we're off topic

The whole purpose of the Hurontario LRT is to allow a major increase the residential and commercial density along the corridor. My understanding is the City's planning and urban design departments are anticipating a lot of new residential development around the GO Station, along George Street and along Queen Street over the next ten to twenty years. There will also be a major mixed use node (and mobility hub) at Steeles and Hurontario in the future and many of those people will travel north the the GO station every day. Downtown Brampton has the potential to become a major pedestrian-oriented hub and may become one of the most desirable neighbourhoods to live in the whole GTA in the future.

Very true. But you have to convince car drivers of that.

The whole purpose of the Hurontario LRT is to allow a major increase the residential and commercial density along the corridor.

Just about all of the developable land on this corridor is outside of Brampton (quite a ways out of Brampton) or well north of where the LRT is going.

My understanding is the City's planning and urban design departments are anticipating a lot of new residential development around the GO Station, along George Street and along Queen Street over the next ten to twenty years.

Some of us have been around Brampton long enough to know that Brampton's booming intensification has been about 2 or 3 years away for about the last 20 - 30 years.....the thing(s) holding those applications/projects back is not a lack of local transportation. The primary roadblock to development is floodplain issue and the failure to fix that to allow for the developments to go ahead.

There will also be a major mixed use node (and mobility hub) at Steeles and Hurontario in the future and many of those people will travel north the the GO station every day.

What major development is that and where would it go and why would they be going north every day?

Downtown Brampton has the potential to become a major pedestrian-oriented hub and may become one of the most desirable neighbourhoods to live in the whole GTA in the future.

That potential is and has been there for a long time (although I quibble with the competitive "most desirable in GTA" language.....and it is not a short segment of this LRT away from being fulfilled.

Outside of the mess at MCC, the LRT will run at subway speeds. 32 km/h average from Eglinton to Queen, that's faster than most of the B-D line.

Cool. Didn't know, that. I thought the BD ran much faster then that, at 45 km/h
Just about all of the developable land on this corridor is outside of Brampton (quite a ways out of Brampton) or well north of where the LRT is going.

Some of us have been around Brampton long enough to know that Brampton's booming intensification has been about 2 or 3 years away for about the last 20 - 30 years.....the thing(s) holding those applications/projects back is not a lack of local transportation. The primary roadblock to development is floodplain issue and the failure to fix that to allow for the developments to go ahead.

What major development is that and where would it go and why would they be going north every day?

That potential is and has been there for a long time (although I quibble with the competitive "most desirable in GTA" language.....and it is not a short segment of this LRT away from being fulfilled.

The problem is why didn't Brampton say they had these problems before. This seems like the council and Fennel are mad and the LRT is being forced on them when that's not the case.

Cool. Didn't know, that. I thought the BD ran much faster then that, at 45 km/h

The problem is why didn't Brampton say they had these problems before. This seems like the council and Fennel are mad and the LRT is being forced on them when that's not the case.

Mayor Fennell is fully supportive of the LRT. Various councillors are opposing her on it (or elements of it) now.....read into that what you will. My comments above are not meant to justify/support what council is doing....simply point out that I don't think that the Brampton segment can, or will, spur development or produce ridership. I do think, however, there is an overreaction to Brampton re-looking at their portion....after all, Mississauga keeps re-looking at their portion and none of this is actually holding up construction.

My opinions are not of a political nature/bias but I do think (and have always thought) that this portion of the LRT is a waste/overspend of limited regional transportation dollars. The Main Street corridor is no where near the busiest in Brampton and the traffic on it can, and will, be handled quite well by BRT (Zum or an enhanced version of it).

Last edited:
That is only possible if the LRT actually delivers people/customers....I don't think it does/will.

No. It's possible if landlords collectively believe it will deliver people. They didn't wait around to find out on St. Clair; the jump was nearly immediate with the tracks reopening (subject to existing leases).

It may not hold for more than a few years if business doesn't actually go up but by that time any business which was borderline will be gone.

Mayor Fennell is fully supportive of the LRT. Various councillors are opposing her on it (or elements of it) now.....read into that what you will. My comments above are not meant to justify/support what council is doing....simply point out that I don't think that the Brampton segment can, or will, spur development or produce ridership.

My opinions are not of a political nature/bias but I do think (and have always thought) that this portion of the LRT is a waste/overspend of limited regional transportation dollars. The Main Street corridor is no where near the busiest in Brampton and the traffic on it can, and will, be handled quite well by BRT (Zum or an enhanced version of it).

I should have clarified I was not talking about you personally, that's on me. I also think honestly, this is because there is nowhere to end it in Mississauga. And there isn't. At the same time, I think that this was kind a softball chance, in a way, to further develop downtown brampton. And get people to come to a place besides shoppers world.

No. It's possible if landlords collectively believe it will deliver people. They didn't wait around to find out on St. Clair; the jump was nearly immediate with the tracks reopening (subject to existing leases).

While technically correct, I don't think anyone believes that this LRT will be a transformative event on DT Brampton.....least of all these landlords/retailers who believe it will kill their business.[/quote]

I should have clarified I was not talking about you personally, that's on me. I also think honestly, this is because there is nowhere to end it in Mississauga. And there isn't. At the same time, I think that this was kind a softball chance, in a way, to further develop downtown brampton. And get people to come to a place besides shoppers world.

I think we have found a point of agreement. I believe the only reason that this is coming to Brampton is that Mississauga wanted a line that covered the length of Hurontario within Mississauga on a single ride high order transit line.....that created a need to find a "logical" endpoint and there is a whole lot of justification going on for the DT Brampton GO station....and there they found a Mayor who is so passionate and committed to revitalizing DT Brampton she is willing to trie anything to give it a shot.

As I have said before, I am actually very supportive of this line....from Port Credit to MCC.....further north of that the need is either decades away or never. In a time where there is so much to build and so limited funds to do it with...wasting money overbuilding this (or anything) is not a good regional plan.

Heavy Rapid Transit vehicles. Eglinton is a partially underground LRT.
Eglinton is mostly underground.

Not sure what the weight of the vehicles have to do with it. The Eglinton vehicles weigh about 48 tonnes each for a 30-metre vehicle. The new Toronto Rocket vehicles weigh about 34 tonnes for a 23-metre vehicle.

The Eglinton line vehicles that will mostly run in a subway are heavier than the TR vehicles.

Sorry, what's your point here?

Back