Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The idea of LRT killing downtown business is laughable, but I don't like the idea of no on-street parking regardless because on-street parking is good for pedestrians too.

Serving Downtown Brampton and the GO station are the only options though, but probably it should be underground. The advantage of LRT is the flexibility after all. And it's not like more than half of the line would be underground like the ridiculous Eglinton Crosstown line. A small underground section for LRT is not a big deal and it's the sort of thing LRT is meant for.

My point is that the time for debate on the HMLRT passed a long time ago. Both Brampton and Mississauga already made their decision.

Why is it ok to still be debating how the line integrates/connects with SQ1/MCC and whether it is one continuous line or split at that point but it is not ok to discuss/debate how the very north end of it should be?

The idea of LRT killing downtown business is laughable, but I don't like the idea of no on-street parking regardless because on-street parking is good for pedestrians too.

Serving Downtown Brampton and the GO station are the only options though, but probably it should be underground. The advantage of LRT is the flexibility after all. And it's not like more than half of the line would be underground like the ridiculous Eglinton Crosstown line. A small underground section for LRT is not a big deal and it's the sort of thing LRT is meant for.

That would probably be ideal but from a regional perspective it is a way too much money to spend on a section of a line that will generate very little revenue.

How is the crosstown line ridiculous? Would you rather have it stuck in mixed traffic? Once it gets extended to the airport, the underground section will be much less than half anyway.

10863287255_906f6c6fd4_b.jpg

The LRT will increase business overall, but that will drive many of the existing businesses away. The objection to bringing the LRT to downtown isn't coming from the city-wide economic development people, but is probably coming from the specific downtown businesses that are threatened.

The LRT will increase business overall, but that will drive many of the existing businesses away. The objection to bringing the LRT to downtown isn't coming from the city-wide economic development people, but is probably coming from the specific downtown businesses that are threatened.

During the construction phase, it may disrupt businesses that do not have a contingency fund. There will be sidewalk supervisors coming in, but unless the businesses are not prepared for disruptions, they may close. If they are still there after construction is finished, then clients should return and maybe increase.

I do not subscribe to the notion that the LRT will kill these businesses (although there may be some who suffer during construction depending on how extensive it is) but I also chuckle a bit at the notion that the existence of the LRT will increase their business. Where are these people taking the LRT from to shop in downtown Brampton?

Because Eglinton should have been a subway.

You mean the subway cancelled by Mike Harris, whose government at the time included Doug Ford Sr. and Tim Hudak?

The subway that only had FIVE stations, York Centre station, Keele North station, Caledonia station, Dufferin station, and Allen station. Period.

Last edited:
You mean the subway cancelled by Mike Harris, whose government at the time included Doug Ford Sr. and Tim Hudak?

The subway that only had FIVE stations, York Centre station, Keele North station, Caledonia station, Dufferin station, and Allen station. Period.

WK, there was talk in 2001 of the entire eglinton line being constructed.

If it had been it might have gotten its own thread on UT ;)

Haha!

I do not subscribe to the notion that the LRT will kill these businesses

It almost certainly will. Landlords will bump rents when the LRT is complete, just as they have on the rebuilt St. Clair. A business which does not grow revenues to cover the new lease rate will find themselves replaced when their lease renews.

This is a good thing; fewer dollar stores, cheque cashing stores, and restaurants with questionable food.

Last edited:
It almost certainly will. Landlords will bump rents when the LRT is complete, just as they have on the rebuilt St. Clair. A business which does not grow revenues to cover the new lease rate will find themselves replaced when their lease renews.

This is a good thing; fewer dollar stores, cheque cashing stores, and restaurants with questionable food.

That is only possible if the LRT actually delivers people/customers....I don't think it does/will.

Back