Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

This would be a discontinuous mess. The point of the LRT is to have a continuous, attractive, and reliable service down the length of Hurontario from Brampton GO to the Lakeshore.

I think, in practice though, what is proposed is a continuous, attractive and reliable service from Brampton GO to MCC connecting with another continuous, attractive and reliable service from MCC to Lakeshore. So the debate/issue is really just about where (and how many) transfers is enough given the likely demand in the various sections of the corridor.

If I had the 'puter skills to create a nice graphic like the one Doady has presented above, mine would differ in that:

1. The red (BRT) line would start in DT Brampton and continue south to MCC
2. I would include in the graphic the e/w BRT corridor being created now at MCC
3. The N/S connection between MCC and points south would be orange and would go to, at least, PC GO.

I don't know enough about the land, roads, politics of what lies below PC GO to comment on whether the orange should continue south to Lakeshore.

I have wanted to respond to this since I saw it but I wanted to take some time before I did to review what I have been saying or doing on this thread to make sure what I have been intending to do (ie. question the benefits of this line to Brampton while also questioning why, in a limited funding environment, we would be (IMO) contemplating overbuilding/overspending on the leg of this corridor that connects DT Brampton to MCC) is reflected in my posts because, although you note you don't read my posts, you have the impression I have been hijacking the thread into a GO rail service thread....never my intent.

So, From May 11 - May 13 (pages 58-59, range of posts 861 -874) I got involved in the discussion about this section of the proposed LRT. I was spurred/attracted to the discussion by an interesting post by Doady questioning (as I do) the merits of Main Street as a transit corridor. There was a good discussion with multiple contributors and GO service was raised by no one.

On May 9th (page 59), I posted a link to a Brampton Guardian article wherein the Mayor of Brampton suggested that Zum buses run all the way to PC (the story was also carried in the Star). The article, as first reported, raised some controversy between the Mayors of Brampton and Mississauga as it appeared that Mayor Fennell was opposed to the LRT. The next day the Star-owned Guardian amended the story to report that what Mayor Fennell actually said was that she not only supported the LRT but that she wanted Zum buses to start going to PC immediately as an interim step (not surprisingly, given his history of reporting on Brampton matters the Star writer did not amend their story and left the negative impression out there). That sparked a bit of a discussion around here about the transit friendliness of Brampton's Mayor which I thought was unfair (she makes many mistakes but it is hard to criticize her on her willingness to invest/expand transit). During that discussion a poster quipped that at least Brampton would now have all day rail service. I responded with what I thought was a bit of a throw away line that I wished Brampton would withhold support for this LRT until it got its all day GO (post 888)...I was really just questioning the prioritization of projects and suggesting a way that Brampton might influence those decisions...that sparked a large outcry of disagreement....and I responded to each of the posts with my thoughts/questions. That discussion lasted a few days to May 12th and ended on May 14th (post 934).....while, I guess, I did start it (although the first mention of all day rail was not mine) from the first suggestion all I did was respond to posts/questions by others (and to be fair to myself, if you look at those posts I did continually mix in questions about the section of the line on its own merits). It nearly ended when Doady called me annoying for continually raising the GO Train issue....although all I had been doing since my initial suggestion was responding to others.....but it did survive a few more posts as others then questioned/commented on my thought that this service had a higher priority than the LRT (for Brampton).

My next post/contribution was a simple posting when someone asked "Why on earth are they forcing a transfer when the point of the LRT was to have a continuous connection from Port Credit to Downtown Brampton? " in reference to the SQ1 transfer that was discussed at the Mid-May public meeting at MCC. My response was to remind people that the main purpose of the LRT was quite well described in a quote from Mississauga's Mayor....that is to ease the congestion on Hurontario from SQ1 to the Lake.....so the transfer is likely to allow for different frequencies south of SQ1 than north of SQ1.....this is an important point to me as it highlights that the demands are different in the two areas and lends some support (IMO) to the notion that I have that we might be better limiting the LRT to the southern section and linking Brampton to that by continuing to expand on the Zum services which already terminate at SQ1 and would tie in to the Busway that Mississauga/GO are building E-W in that area.

On May 15th, someone brought GO train service back into it by responding to a day old post of mine which I responded to.

On May 16th Drum (I believe) posted a summary of what he saw/heard at the Brampton PIC the night before. I responded with some questions of clarification and that discourse lasted a few posts without any mention (by anyone) of all day GO service.

May 17th someone posts a map proposing Main Street vehicular traffic be re-routed through existing creek/park/flood mitigation areas to allow room for the LRT....I and others responded without mention of all day GO service.

That brings us to the latest wave of discussion prompted by my posting of another article where certain residents (not me) were opposed to the LRT because of the effect they think it will have on Main/DT Brampton. I think that provoked an angry(ish) response from yourself which concluded with "If the LRT stops at the 407, that's quite fine with me. No one wants to go to Brampton anyway." I got involved in the discussion and, in response to a comment I made which did not discuss all day GO...someones post included "It's not like this funding is going to come before all day 2 way on the Kitchener corridor. The Big move has both of them in the plan, and most of the all day 2 way GO work is already underway. All day 2 way GO isn't really going to help with the movement of people within Peel anyways, it's only good use is to get people to downtown Toronto.".....I responded and that led to the latest discussion which basically ended with you saying you don't read my posts and that I will start a NIMBY opposition group and that "has gotten derailed into GO transit talk by you too many times. "

The beauty of these threads is that the history of the discussion is right there......I have derailed (ie. raised not just responded to others) this thread exactly 1 time on the subject of all day go (even that one was a response to a comment..but I will "wear that one").....all my other posts on that "derailing subject" have been in direct response to comments/questions others have directed to me......I am fully ok with keeping all day GO in the thread where it belongs but if people raise it I will respond. As for the NIMBY motives...nothing could be farther from the truth.

You (everyone) are free to read or not read posts by anyone (including me) but in deciding not to read them you also have to be careful that you do not attribute motives/thoughts/actions that are just not so.

Review ended....so can someone tell me why we are building an LRT here ;)
Very good response TOareafan

It's those kinds of long replies I ignore. If it's actually important, maybe someone will read it. But it won't be me. Paragraphs and paragraphs on a message board just make my eyes glaze over.

But yes, let's move on actually discuss the Hurontario LRT

I have wanted to respond to this since I saw it but I wanted to take some time before I did to review what I have been saying or doing on this thread to make sure what I have been intending to do (ie. question the benefits of this line to Brampton while also questioning why, in a limited funding environment, we would be (IMO) contemplating overbuilding/overspending on the leg of this corridor that connects DT Brampton to MCC) is reflected in my posts because, although you note you don't read my posts, you have the impression I have been hijacking the thread into a GO rail service thread....never my intent.

So, From May 11 - May 13 (pages 58-59, range of posts 861 -874) I got involved in the discussion about this section of the proposed LRT. I was spurred/attracted to the discussion by an interesting post by Doady questioning (as I do) the merits of Main Street as a transit corridor. There was a good discussion with multiple contributors and GO service was raised by no one.

On May 9th (page 59), I posted a link to a Brampton Guardian article wherein the Mayor of Brampton suggested that Zum buses run all the way to PC (the story was also carried in the Star). The article, as first reported, raised some controversy between the Mayors of Brampton and Mississauga as it appeared that Mayor Fennell was opposed to the LRT. The next day the Star-owned Guardian amended the story to report that what Mayor Fennell actually said was that she not only supported the LRT but that she wanted Zum buses to start going to PC immediately as an interim step (not surprisingly, given his history of reporting on Brampton matters the Star writer did not amend their story and left the negative impression out there). That sparked a bit of a discussion around here about the transit friendliness of Brampton's Mayor which I thought was unfair (she makes many mistakes but it is hard to criticize her on her willingness to invest/expand transit). During that discussion a poster quipped that at least Brampton would now have all day rail service. I responded with what I thought was a bit of a throw away line that I wished Brampton would withhold support for this LRT until it got its all day GO (post 888)...I was really just questioning the prioritization of projects and suggesting a way that Brampton might influence those decisions...that sparked a large outcry of disagreement....and I responded to each of the posts with my thoughts/questions. That discussion lasted a few days to May 12th and ended on May 14th (post 934).....while, I guess, I did start it (although the first mention of all day rail was not mine) from the first suggestion all I did was respond to posts/questions by others (and to be fair to myself, if you look at those posts I did continually mix in questions about the section of the line on its own merits). It nearly ended when Doady called me annoying for continually raising the GO Train issue....although all I had been doing since my initial suggestion was responding to others.....but it did survive a few more posts as others then questioned/commented on my thought that this service had a higher priority than the LRT (for Brampton).

My next post/contribution was a simple posting when someone asked "Why on earth are they forcing a transfer when the point of the LRT was to have a continuous connection from Port Credit to Downtown Brampton? " in reference to the SQ1 transfer that was discussed at the Mid-May public meeting at MCC. My response was to remind people that the main purpose of the LRT was quite well described in a quote from Mississauga's Mayor....that is to ease the congestion on Hurontario from SQ1 to the Lake.....so the transfer is likely to allow for different frequencies south of SQ1 than north of SQ1.....this is an important point to me as it highlights that the demands are different in the two areas and lends some support (IMO) to the notion that I have that we might be better limiting the LRT to the southern section and linking Brampton to that by continuing to expand on the Zum services which already terminate at SQ1 and would tie in to the Busway that Mississauga/GO are building E-W in that area.

On May 15th, someone brought GO train service back into it by responding to a day old post of mine which I responded to.

On May 16th Drum (I believe) posted a summary of what he saw/heard at the Brampton PIC the night before. I responded with some questions of clarification and that discourse lasted a few posts without any mention (by anyone) of all day GO service.

May 17th someone posts a map proposing Main Street vehicular traffic be re-routed through existing creek/park/flood mitigation areas to allow room for the LRT....I and others responded without mention of all day GO service.

That brings us to the latest wave of discussion prompted by my posting of another article where certain residents (not me) were opposed to the LRT because of the effect they think it will have on Main/DT Brampton. I think that provoked an angry(ish) response from yourself which concluded with "If the LRT stops at the 407, that's quite fine with me. No one wants to go to Brampton anyway." I got involved in the discussion and, in response to a comment I made which did not discuss all day GO...someones post included "It's not like this funding is going to come before all day 2 way on the Kitchener corridor. The Big move has both of them in the plan, and most of the all day 2 way GO work is already underway. All day 2 way GO isn't really going to help with the movement of people within Peel anyways, it's only good use is to get people to downtown Toronto.".....I responded and that led to the latest discussion which basically ended with you saying you don't read my posts and that I will start a NIMBY opposition group and that "has gotten derailed into GO transit talk by you too many times. "

The beauty of these threads is that the history of the discussion is right there......I have derailed (ie. raised not just responded to others) this thread exactly 1 time on the subject of all day go (even that one was a response to a comment..but I will "wear that one").....all my other posts on that "derailing subject" have been in direct response to comments/questions others have directed to me......I am fully ok with keeping all day GO in the thread where it belongs but if people raise it I will respond. As for the NIMBY motives...nothing could be farther from the truth.

You (everyone) are free to read or not read posts by anyone (including me) but in deciding not to read them you also have to be careful that you do not attribute motives/thoughts/actions that are just not so.

Review ended....so can someone tell me why we are building an LRT here ;)

Well thought out and incredibly detailed response. This is good argumentation at its best.

It's those kinds of long replies I ignore. If it's actually important, maybe someone will read it. But it won't be me. Paragraphs and paragraphs on a message board just make my eyes glaze over.

But yes, let's move on actually discuss the Hurontario LRT
I agree. The original plan is the best one. I can't wait to ride it.

Yes the single ride plan.

That is not the plan they are working on though (and given the disparity in ridership/density between the south and north they probably shouldn't be) so the question is how/where do you split it and in what form. Doady presented a multi transfer option....I prefer buses in the north with LRT in the south with the transfer being at MCC.

I do, but i expect it to grow as it is not going through a greenfield

If it were greenfield it would probably have a better chance to grow as you might change future development patterns. For the part I am most concerned about (the Brampton stretch) the die is cast for the most part and what you have is what you will have.

That is not the plan they are working on though (and given the disparity in ridership/density between the south and north they probably shouldn't be) so the question is how/where do you split it and in what form. Doady presented a multi transfer option....I prefer buses in the north with LRT in the south with the transfer being at MCC.

The problem with an MCC transfer is that there's only a finite number of potential sites along the corridor where you could put an LRV yard, and apparently none under consideration are south of MCC. The maps they've been showing seem to show them close to certain on one at the 407, which sort of puts a northern minimum on where a bus transfer would have to be.

If it were greenfield it would probably have a better chance to grow as you might change future development patterns. For the part I am most concerned about (the Brampton stretch) the die is cast for the most part and what you have is what you will have.

While there's a ~2 km stretch in Brampton between roughly Wellington and Charolais that runs through fairly stable low density homes, the province is mandating significant intensification in downtown Brampton, and there's certainly the potential for a couple of plaza sites to be redeveloped. Also, these "spine" corridors typically pull ridership via buses from well beyond walking distance, so it's a bit misleading to focus too much on the immediate built form the train rolls by.

The problem with an MCC transfer is that there's only a finite number of potential sites along the corridor where you could put an LRV yard, and apparently none under consideration are south of MCC. The maps they've been showing seem to show them close to certain on one at the 407, which sort of puts a northern minimum on where a bus transfer would have to be.

While there's a ~2 km stretch in Brampton between roughly Wellington and Charolais that runs through fairly stable low density homes, the province is mandating significant intensification in downtown Brampton, and there's certainly the potential for a couple of plaza sites to be redeveloped. Also, these "spine" corridors typically pull ridership via buses from well beyond walking distance, so it's a bit misleading to focus too much on the immediate built form the train rolls by.

North of Walts Line to Hwy 407 is employment land and the city will not allow the yard there. There is nothing south of it to Port Credit to hold a yard. Therefore, 407 will be the yard site and the rails will have to run south of it to service the line.

Metrolinx wanted the yard east of Hurontario near the Milton Line, but there is no large parcel of land that could be used for a yard without tearing homes, business down as well closing off streets. That idea die very quickly. You would have to go east of Dixie to find land for the yard and because Dundas is now to be a BRT, the LRT plan for Dundas die.

There are only 2 parcel of land on Hurontario that can support the the yard and Orlando owns both of them. Even if Orlando was prepare to sale the land, it would have an impact on the other lands that the owners of those lands would opposed the use of the land as a yard area opposite to what it was zone for in the first place. They would loose on their investment to the point they would want the city or Metrolinx to buy the land and neither party is willing to do so since they don't have the money in the first place.

Its stupid to stop the line at 407 when it should connect to Shoppers World in the first place, as you are forcing riders to transfer twice to get there in the first place. The proposed plans the last few days would drive riders from the system than poor service. I would go out and buy a car again than put up with that type of line and transferring against how I want to travel.

People cannot look at what out there today in development of a transit vision, but what it could be by 2031. In some cases it may happen sooner, later or not at all. Take a look at Toronto subway line and you are only see growth happening 20-30 years after it was supposed to. In some place the line kill the street when it was built and still is even today.

Steel wheel attract more riders than rubber ones.

The government has set a goal of where development should take place and Hurontario is one place with many large areas.

To meet that growth and ridership, a BRT or light BRT will not cut it. MT is currently see 4% increase in ridership on Hurontario and will require an artic every 45 seconds by 2031 that is not cost efficiently. I don't have numbers for the 502 as they have to be added into the total ridership for the line.

An alternative transit plan for Hurontario Street, one that better reflects the true level of demand for transit along the Hurontario corridor:

Not wise putting a Metrolinx logo on that. If people get the idea that Metrolinx endorsed a plan where every 3 to 5 stops you need to transfer to a different route and technology and start complaining to Metrolinx, they are going to go after whoever created that map.

I wouldn't say "best". I'd say it's decent. I think the detour into MCC away from Hurontario is unnecessary. Keep it on Hurontario.

I agree. Besides taking everyone who is on a continuous journey out of their way it also makes figuring out which vehicle to take needlessly confusing. I wouldn't mind a detour which just shifts the line one block to go through the Robert Speck - City Centre Drive intersection, but all the way to Duke of York is painful. Everytime I take the GO bus to Erindale I am so frustrated by the mall parking lot tour and I expect the LRT to be slower than the GO bus doing that route.

JayBeeGooner said:
Agreed. Move the transit terminal closer to Hurontario.

Yes!

Back