Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I think it's not that Mississauga is giving up and also it's not that the LRT's support among residents is really weak (I mean look at the ridership numbers, right?), but it's more like not to get too excited until the LRT is fully-funded.

I think it's not that Mississauga is giving up and also it's not that the LRT's support among residents is really weak (I mean look at the ridership numbers, right?), but it's more like not to get too excited until the LRT is fully-funded.

but "fully funded" means money from municipal taxation as well and the article quotes folks who seem to be balking at raising taxes to pay the municipal share.

As I commented in the other thread, this is one big FAIL from Mississsauga councillors.

If so, then this is embarrassing. They show themselves off to the rest of the GTA as a perfect example of being 100% ready and cooperative when it comes to transit, but inside, they're just like Toronto... sigh...

I think Mississauga is taking advantage of lack of media coverage in the 905 to cover up the behind-the-scenes (aka the interesting events within the city hall)... I just lost a little bit of respect and praise for this council.

Kind of a chicken and egg then isn't it? Hard to get people excited about the LRT until the funding is in place, but it's hard to get the funding in place until there's real citizen demand for the LRT.

It's in situations like this where we need politicians to actually step up with an "you'll thank me later for this" moment, instead of just being slaves to uninformed public opinion.

It's in situations like this where we need politicians to actually step up with an "you'll thank me later for this" moment, instead of just being slaves to uninformed public opinion.

Once the Queen's Quay rebuild is complete and running the newer trams, I think introducing a more rapid version of LRT will become easier.

Last edited:
I would tend to agree with that, but what does Queen's Quay have to do with the Hurontario LRT? You lost me.

Perhaps you were referring to the new streetcars. The new streetcars will probably improve the public perception of LRT a little bit, it will not change the fact that Toronto's existing streetcar system is slow.

Perhaps you were referring to the new streetcars. The new streetcars will probably improve the public perception of LRT a little bit, it will not change the fact that Toronto's existing streetcar system is slow.

I guess it could be interpreted that way, haha. What I was originally referring to is the idea that Mississauga councillors need to just step up and say "We're going to raise the necessary revenues in order to build this LRT now. You may not like it now, but you'll thank me later for this."

But yes, that phrase can be applied to many different projects in the GTA.

I doubt Toronto's new streetcars will sway public opinion in 'sauga. I really hope these politicians show a little back bone. To back away 'because it's too expensive' is a poor excuse, considering how bad traffic is on Hurontario.

I doubt Toronto's new streetcars will sway public opinion in 'sauga. I really hope these politicians show a little back bone. To back away 'because it's too expensive' is a poor excuse, considering how bad traffic is on Hurontario.

Not to mention that it will only get more expensive as time goes on. Both construction costs, and the cost of gridlock will be much higher if this project doesnt get shovels in the ground in the next 10 years.

That is one thing I hate about our political system. It's never about doing what is best for everyone. Its about getting re-elected. Term limits would help out with this a bit, but I would hate to lose a good councillor or Mayor just because of term limits.

I would tend to agree with that, but what does Queen's Quay have to do with the Hurontario LRT? You lost me.

Nothing directly but it's one of the few lines that tourists (including day-trippers from Peel region) might use and become inspired by and will likely get quite a bit of press when complete so it will be viewed as a "new line" rather than the same old streetcar.

A Queens Quay with all-door boarding, new trams, semi-segregated from traffic, etc. is fairly similar to what Mississauga's built form would be.

Ramming LRT through would be pretty hard for city council to do; particularlay after they've seen the Ford rebuttle in Toronto. It needs to come from the residents.

Finch and Sheppard (if built) are both far in the future. Queen's Quay though will be ready for viewing in 2014.

The approach to surface rapid transit seems to be a gradual process.

Last edited:

Back