Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Hello,
Please find an invitation below (and attached) to the Hurontario-Main Light Rail Transit (LRT) Public Information Centres (PICs) in Brampton on Monday, June 25, 2012 and in Mississauga on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 from 3 – 8pm respectively.

This is the first of three PICs scheduled for this phase of the Project. We need your participation to help shape decisions as we Define, Develop and Design the proposed LRT system. PIC information is summarized below, and we encourage you to attend if your time permits.
PIC#1 (June 25 & 26, 2012) will focus on concept alternatives including: the LRT route alignment; segregated lane options; and LRT stop locations.
PIC#2 (Anticipated in November 2012) builds upon the design outcomes of PIC#1, and will provide a recommendation for the LRT alignment, the stops, the complete system and its integration.
PIC#3 (Anticipated in April 2013) is for the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP), which builds upon PIC#1 and PIC#2. It includes the draft Environmental Project Report, which summarizes the Engineering and Environmental studies, and details the project for implementation, including any proposed mitigation measures and monitoring.
We hope that you can join us at PIC#1 to review the design concepts and provide your feedback. However, if time doesn’t permit, all information and feedback forms will be posted to the project website from June 25 to June 29, 2012.

For other background information, including the Preferred Corridor Map showing the proposed LRT route from the Lakeshore in Port Credit north on Hurontario through Main Street in downtown Brampton, please visit the project online at www.hurontario-main.ca.

Light rail public input sought Monday ||| The Brampton Guardian ||| June 24, 2012
The proposed route, the proposed stops, and segregated lane options for Light Rail Transit (LRT) on Main/Hurontario Street from Brampton through to the south end of Mississauga will be the topics open for feedback at a public consultation this Monday (June 25).
The Public Information Centre will be open at the Rose Theatre in Brampton’s downtown, between 3 and 8 p.m. It will focus on the LRT alternatives for the complex project that is a co-operative effort between the cities and Metrolinx.
Members of the public are invited to attend, to learn more about the project from the team of experts who are developing the concepts and alternatives, and to offer their feedback.
No decisions have been made, so public input is important to the process, according to LRT Project Manager Matthew Williams.
At the meeting, residents will be shown how the line could be delivered almost entirely with a dedicated transit lane, even in Brampton’s cramped downtown core.
Williams said, if the political will exists, it could be done, but something— such as on-street parking— would have to be eliminated. He said a dedicated transit lane along as much of the corridor as possible is the ultimate goal.
Mixed use lanes would only slow the system and make it less efficient, he said.
Williams said the plan is to keep the line on Hurontario right to the Brampton GO station, with options on how to service Queen Street and the old Peel Memorial Site being worked out as a separate issue.
“We have reviewed that option (diverting the LRT to the old PMH site),†he said. “We’re trying to keep it on Hurontario. How we service that (Queen Street) would be a future phase, another alignment.â€
He said the costs— environmental and financial— of diverting the line east to PMH instead of continuing north to the downtown would be “significant†and it, therefore, “makes more sense to keep it on Hurontario.â€
But Brampton city councillors have only supported bringing the line to the new transit terminal at Steeles Avenue until an acceptable solution can be found to bring it through the downtown.
Questions can be sent to inquiries@hurontario-main.ca.
For more information, and all the display materials, handouts and frequently asked questions from the last open house held in April, visit lrt-mississauga.brampton.ca.

Most of it's normal information. But the bolded is actually surprising. I wouldn't have expected that.

Light rail public input sought Monday ||| The Brampton Guardian ||| June 24, 2012

Most of it's normal information. But the bolded is actually surprising. I wouldn't have expected that.

I guess they're worried about what it's going to do along the narrower stretch of Main St.

Do you think they're going to lobby for some kind of a tunnel in Phase 2? (If Phase 1 only goes to Steeles)

I don't know what the public opinion is on this in Brampton. Anecdotally, there's been quite a few people I know who would prefer we elevated the entire line. When I challenge them on whether they would pay extra to do so, they stay silent.

If we made Hurontario into a phased LRT project, I'd like to see Steeles to Cooksville GO in Phase 1, then Phase 2 would have two sections. South wards to Port Credit.

The Brampton north extension would go to downtown, somehow. I compare DT Brampton to the LRT loops for Uptown Waterloo and Downtown Kitchener, and sigh, because DT Brampton is crammed. UW and DK have room for a dedicated lane AND on-street parking. There's no way to do that in DT Brampton. If we tunneled, I'd go a different alignment. Get rid of Charlois and Nanwood, get rid of the loop, and have a stop at City Hall, Queen St, and the GO station.

I'd also like to see it extended north. Don't have it have many stops (maybe just Vodden, Williams, Bovaird), but my dad came up with an idea. Get it to Sandalwood and building a massive park-and-ride up there. Maybe have every second LRT train go north of DT Brampton. Connect all three E-W Zum routes with an LRT spine in the west.

Having the park and ride there helps alleviate the problem with parking at Brampton GO.

EDIT: Alternately, we have the LRT go straight through Main Street on surface in dedicated lanes, and make up the street parking in a parking garage elsewhere.

Last edited:
Main is the 4th busiest transit route in Brampton, behind Queen, Steeles, and Dixie.

Building this Hurontario LRT to Downtown Brampton was already excessive enough (though I still support it), going north of that is simply a waste of money. The corridor itself simply does not have the density to support higher order transit, and certainly removing on-street parking and building parking garages and park-and-ride lots is not going to give it that density (removing on-street parking bad for pedestrians anyways).

Main is the 4th busiest transit route in Brampton, behind Queen, Steeles, and Dixie.

Building this Hurontario LRT to Downtown Brampton was already excessive enough (though I still support it), going north of that is simply a waste of money. The corridor itself simply does not have the density to support higher order transit, and certainly removing on-street parking and building parking garages and park-and-ride lots is not going to give it that density (removing on-street parking bad for pedestrians anyways).
Since I am in Glasgow at this time, I have not seen the current update plans and have to rely on what people saw or heard.

Taking the line up Main and removing on street parking is the correct thing to do, depending where they plan to stop the current project. It needs to stop north of the tracks.

Taking the line north at a future day has to happen. I said that in my 2008 report to MTO.

Phase 1 for building this line will start at Hwy 407, as that will be the yard area and then go to Steeles or (Downtown?) and then to Sq One. This is based on past plans. Not sure what the current plans are.

If the US can build lines for 3-5,000 riders, there is no reason we cannot do it also.

One only has to look at some of these low ridership lines to see what they have done for both ridership, as well development over the past 5 years.

Based on the amount of buses going in and out of the Glasgow city centre, they need an LRT system, but the street will prevent this unless they start underground.

There is a video of buses using a 53 bus bay terminal in off peak.
[video]http://youtu.be/piBL3yoy6Co[/video]

I'm disappointed that some Brampton Councillors are not warm to the idea of LRT downtown.

As for the claim that the Main Street bus is only #4, I'm sure that has changed with the introduction of Zum. Also, the #2 is paralleled closely by the #52 which is closer to the population between Shoppers and Downtown.

A few blocks of mixed-traffic operation will not break a plan. With well-designed signal priority, and as long as the congestion is somewhat predictable, a good service can still be operated.

If we made Hurontario into a phased LRT project, I'd like to see Steeles to Cooksville GO in Phase 1, then Phase 2 would have two sections. South wards to Port Credit.

It was always planned to be phased. The phasing as previously planned, is as follows:

Phase 1: Downtown Brampton to Square One loop
Phase 2: Burnhamthorpe Rd to Port Credit

If Brampton gets weak knees, and stops the line at Steeles, then it will severely hurt the success of the line. It's encouraging that they seem to be looking into how they can make dedicated lanes work, but frankly the system would work just fine with a couple blocks in mixed traffic.

It was always planned to be phased. The phasing as previously planned, is as follows:

Phase 1: Downtown Brampton to Square One loop
Phase 2: Burnhamthorpe Rd to Port Credit

If Brampton gets weak knees, and stops the line at Steeles, then it will severely hurt the success of the line. It's encouraging that they seem to be looking into how they can make dedicated lanes work, but frankly the system would work just fine with a couple blocks in mixed traffic.

It's unfortunate that Brampton's grid system didn't have some kind of a secondary road paralleling Main that could be converted into a transit mall. I'm thinking something like in Downtown Oshawa where King St has Bond St directly north, and Simcoe St has Centre St directly west. Both Simcoe and King are the "Main Streets", with the other 2 simply being opposite directions of the 1 way.

If Brampton had something like that, they could turn the Bond or Centre St equivalent into a transit mall and it would work well.

According, to the PIC display boards the two main options for Main St downtown are transit mall or tracks at the sides of the street. Transit mall on Main seems like it would be a really bad idea. For such a narrow and important throughfare it probably would be best to go underground but they aren't even considering it.

Taking the line up Main and removing on street parking is the correct thing to do, depending where they plan to stop the current project. It needs to stop north of the tracks.

Taking the line north at a future day has to happen. I said that in my 2008 report to MTO.

Phase 1 for building this line will start at Hwy 407, as that will be the yard area and then go to Steeles or (Downtown?) and then to Sq One. This is based on past plans. Not sure what the current plans are.

If the US can build lines for 3-5,000 riders, there is no reason we cannot do it also.

One only has to look at some of these low ridership lines to see what they have done for both ridership, as well development over the past 5 years.

Hurontario-Main LRT is already projected to be busier than any current light rail line in the US except the Green Line in Boston. I don't think we should be emulating the US.

Phase I think they are also considering to Cooksville GO or Dundas. I saw that somewhere but I forgot where.

I'm not convinced that a Main Street Transit Mall would work. Downtown Brampton, while having some great bones, really suffers retail-wise, though there have been a few little steps forward. Main Street is already two lanes most of the time, I am not opposed to the side platforms and two traffic lanes set up. I'd hate to see Main Street Downtown Brampton turn out like a mini Main Street Buffalo.

But perhaps with a much stronger transit culture in the GTA than Buffalo (and most certainly a busier LRT) I could be wrong about the impact to a one-block stretch of Main. Still, I think traffic needs to pass through, especially late evenings, if retail were to survive and even thrive downtown.

I like the simple crossover terminus on both ends, I am glad to see the loop idea for Downtown Brampton deep-sixed.

Last edited:
I too don't think the Highway 10 LRT will work at all in downtown brampton, ie 4 corners. if they take out the centre lanes, then people will have to take the outer lanes, but people use the outer lanes for street parkage, how is that gonna work?

I'm not convinced that a Main Street Transit Mall would work. Downtown Brampton, while having some great bones, really suffers retail-wise, though there have been a few little steps forward. Main Street is already two lanes most of the time, I am not opposed to the side platforms and two traffic lanes set up. I'd hate to see Main Street Downtown Brampton turn out like a mini Main Street Buffalo.

Maybe they could tunnel the short stretch from Queen to the turnoff into the GO station.

Or as someone mentioned at the PIC, set up a system where the light turns red when a train arrives. You would also need a stoplight a train length ahead of the intersection forcing cars to stop behind it so riders could board.

Back