Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

@Tim MacDonald, lack of signs has been an issue since day one and still is not only by me, but the ward councilors. I have seen far too many close calls, well walking, on the bus as well when I have access to a car. Even for pedestrians to get around X, cross the street, but most of all, where are the bus stops? I have been asked numerous times as to where the bus stop is, only to point where it should be and say "what" as it's not there and don't see one at all.

Tracks outside of intersections will be exposed and not encased in concrete other than anchoring the ties. There are to be a few spots that will be encased for future stations that may surface down the road.

They will look like this. Mobilinx is not willing to put grass there like they should. Finch LRT is 100% encased in concrete with Crosstown having 80% grass. It is to stop people trying to cross the street between Long blocks.
53536888663_e93d0ccf84_b.jpg
I agree grass is nicest, but in my humble opinion exposed rail is second best and gives it a more rapid transit vibe compared to a traditional streetcar. Easier to swap out rails in the future too.

Perhaps it's just not visible from Hurontario, but when we drove by on the 407 this past weekend it appeared that quite a bit of the yard had been strung.
It wasn't the last time I saw it in January, but with the mild weather and lack of snow, they have been busy beavers. When you factor in everything above and below ground that has taken place to date, it's less than Phil's numbers.

Feb 20
When I looked at Burnhamthorpe intersection on Feb 12, there were piles of gravel and sand in the Guideway area. Today, the guideway area from Burnhamthorpe to Central Pkwy has been milled with the removal of asphalt and concrete. Crew were working on the south side of Central Pkwy to Fairview,

Hydro has been remarkably busy as well as they have strung the hydro new poles from Burnhamthorpe to Central Pkwy considering they were still installing new poles last week.

As of Feb 28, to March 25, Matthew Gates will be 100% closed off for building the guideway across it. Going to tick off a lot of drivers than will not be allowed to make left turns, but all driveway that used to see left in/out will now have to make U-turn to do right in/out now. They are already tick off not being allowed to make left turns on a green with the new signs saying it can be done when the left turn light turns green.

Tacks in place for Robert Speck intersection for the first haft either waiting for tracks to be formed to pour the concrete to anchor the ties in place or do a full pour for the whole area on top of plastic material that is on top of the earth.

The east retaining wall has been installed for Rathbun South pier and part of the west one.

Still four more sections of the ramp retaining wall to be formed and pour. A fifth section is form and maybe poured as it was hard to tell in the dark.

With the loop now in the picture, expect to see a larger crew on site this year to get the line done in 2025 and maybe open by year end,

Photos to follow in a few days.

Tangentially related, but the City of Brampton has bought up most of the buildings on the east side of Main, north of Queen. It wants to demolish the entire block as the properties are in poor shape, partially due to an abandoned underground channel that carried Etobicoke Creek until the early 1950s when the diversion channel was constructed. The storefronts are mostly vacant.

If the block is cleared, it will leave a gap in the urban fabric, though it would certainly make LRT construction (either a tunnel or a surface terminus) easier to construct, especially for construction staging. Long-term, this would become part of a larger Garden Square and a potential permanent location for the farmers market.

Downtown properties.jpg

Tangentially related, but the City of Brampton has bought up most of the buildings on the east side of Main, north of Queen. It wants to demolish the entire block as the properties are in poor shape, partially due to an abandoned underground channel that carried Etobicoke Creek until the early 1950s when the diversion channel was constructed. The storefronts are mostly vacant.

If the block is cleared, it will leave a gap in the urban fabric, though it would certainly make LRT construction (either a tunnel or a surface terminus) easier to construct, especially for construction staging. Long-term, this would become part of a larger Garden Square and a potential permanent location for the farmers market.

View attachment 542480

Link to the staff report and the above-noted map:

^ I'd also note that is interesting to see this underground channel mapped out. Here's what the June 2021 Preliminary Design Business Case said about them (via here) in this section "7.2.2 Underground Options":

There are two historical channels located within the downtown Brampton area. One channel is located near the intersection Main Street and Wellington Street West and the second channel is located on Main Street between Nelson Street East and Queen Street East. As part the LRT construction, these two historical channels are to be removed to accommodate the future tracks. No tail tracks are required for underground storage at the terminus and a crossover is planned ahead of station platforms.

View attachment 542480

At the meeting, Sylvia referenced this from the 22 November 2023 meeting
1708649675472.png

She pointed out the block to be demolished align almost perfectly with the station cavern, with the section being demolished and excavated supporting the mining and station construction.

Feb 22
Went over to Sq One today to see what was with the pop-up event there as well to see any new info, but no news at all. No display board as they are supposed to be broken and out dated

With the amount of dump trucks going up and down Hurontario St, you would think summer was here as there been little dump truck movements the last few months. I expect this will remain even when winter shows up to get back on track and prepare for the 2 extension. The loop will happen before Brampton GO Station.

Trucks line up for removal of excavation material at Burnhamthorpe that will to be done by excavators in place of the milling like they did the north side. Same up at Robert Speck. The vacuum truck was looking for a pipe at Burnhamthorpe as it was not where it was to be and was stopping the excavation work. They found it and it was on an angle about 3m from where it was supposed to be.

Tracks at Robert Speck been form to be pour first before the road section is pour.
53546686284_5973188577_b.jpg

53546546533_5a2f387618_b.jpg

53546795330_30d44c2dbf_b.jpg

Feb 20
53546334221_5dcb196788_b.jpg

53545466087_c6eefaf38c_b.jpg

53546334256_9e3af0134c_b.jpg

Feb 22
Went over to Sq One today to see what was with the pop-up event there as well to see any new info, but no news at all. No display board as they are supposed to be broken and out dated

With the amount of dump trucks going up and down Hurontario St, you would think summer was here as there been little dump truck movements the last few months. I expect this will remain even when winter shows up to get back on track and prepare for the 2 extension. The loop will happen before Brampton GO Station.

Trucks line up for removal of excavation material at Burnhamthorpe that will to be done by excavators in place of the milling like they did the north side. Same up at Robert Speck. The vacuum truck was looking for a pipe at Burnhamthorpe as it was not where it was to be and was stopping the excavation work. They found it and it was on an angle about 3m from where it was supposed to be.

Tracks at Robert Speck been form to be pour first before the road section is pour.
53546686284_5973188577_b.jpg

53546546533_5a2f387618_b.jpg

53546795330_30d44c2dbf_b.jpg

Feb 20
53546334221_5dcb196788_b.jpg

53545466087_c6eefaf38c_b.jpg

53546334256_9e3af0134c_b.jpg
Do you think that Metrolinx will just get Mobilinx (consortium building Line 10) to build the loop to avoid a tendering process?

Do you think that Metrolinx will just get Mobilinx (consortium building Line 10) to build the loop to avoid a tendering process?
I would expect so since Mobilinx has a 30-year contract for the line with the loop and the Brampton extension that must be part of that 30-year contract. How would Mobilinx operate and maintain it if someone else built the two extensions?

I expect the extensions will be opened in phases with the current focus on the current plan line to get it open sooner than later. Main issue for the loop will be splitting the line in two once the loop is ready for service that will piss off everyone even if the loop opens at the same time.

Depending on how Brampton extension is tunnel, we could be looking at 2027-2030 window for service. It also means shifting the Steeles Station back to the north side as originally planned, which will be no big deal other than cost.

As to when the 30-year contract takes effect is unknown at this time other than having an extension added to it when the line goes into service..

It’s also looking increasingly likely that Line 10 will be underground now, with the province seemingly supportive of it. With 5 1/2 seats up for grabs, and what appears to be a truce between Brown and Ford, I can see it announced in the upcoming budget.
Great way to spend limited funds and great way to encourage others to throw hissy fits.

@Tim MacDonald, lack of signs has been an issue since day one and still is not only by me, but the ward councilors. I have seen far too many close calls, well walking, on the bus as well when I have access to a car. Even for pedestrians to get around X, cross the street, but most of all, where are the bus stops? I have been asked numerous times as to where the bus stop is, only to point where it should be and say "what" as it's not there and don't see one at all.

Tracks outside of intersections will be exposed and not encased in concrete other than anchoring the ties. There are to be a few spots that will be encased for future stations that may surface down the road.

They will look like this. Mobilinx is not willing to put grass there like they should. Finch LRT is 100% encased in concrete with Crosstown having 80% grass. It is to stop people trying to cross the street between Long blocks.
53536888663_e93d0ccf84_b.jpg
In theory this would make it easier to retrofit grass tracks in future - but it's gonna look real cheap in the interim.

At the meeting, Sylvia referenced this from the 22 November 2023 meeting
View attachment 542649
She pointed out the block to be demolished align almost perfectly with the station cavern, with the section being demolished and excavated supporting the mining and station construction.
SEM?! No wonder this extension is crazy expensive. A cut and cover station box would be the cheapest and fastest approach...

In theory this would make it easier to retrofit grass tracks in future - but it's gonna look real cheap in the interim.
The contractor doesn't like grass period and no plans to have it until someone else takes over the contract. Even then, you need a drainage system as well as a watering system like Crosstown that will no be cheap to do at this stage.

SEM?! No wonder this extension is crazy expensive. A cut and cover station box would be the cheapest and fastest approach...

The complicating factor is that the downtown area starts where Main Street meets Etobicoke Creek just north of Nanwood. If it’s tunneled, it must get well below Etobicoke Creek for environmental reasons. That rules out a simple cut and cover for at least that section.

I’m really hoping that the demolition speeds up construction and reduces some costs of building that station. I’m not happy about the tunnel, but I’m also somewhat relieved that Line 10 will finally get built to its logical terminus.

Back