Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Slightly off topic: what is going on with the former Playdium? I recall it shutdown like 2 years ago, and the building was blue. It is now red.
There been talk that it will become a combine transit hub and closing GO and MT current location.

Square One wants a good dollar for the land and has other ideas for it, but ML will do its thing to get the land.

There is supposed to be a study underway of bring the Transitway east of Hurontario underground and continue west in a new ROW that was never built due to lack of funds when it was built. The underground was to happen in Phase 1, but Hazel didn't have the $20 million to do it and look what we got. Then the whole thing was nearly double than budget for which I said would happen that got built.

Like what?

I don't want to make the bus driver tap the sign, but I spent a portion of my 90s childhood in Brampton and everyone knew that "Main Street", "Highway 10", and "Hurontario Street" were three names for that one road. It makes perfect sense to call the LRT Line 10, or some variation on that.
This has been oft-discussed before on UT, but for a city aspiring to have an urban identity anything identifying the street as "highway" (especially for something as seriously urban as an LRT line) certainly doesn't make the cut. The "10" thing is a goofy anarchism that should not be encouraged. But that's a moot point with the renaming anyways.

Last edited:
This has been oft-discussed before on UT, but for a city aspiring to have an urban identity anything identifying the street as "highway" (especially for something as seriously urban as an LRT line) certainly doesn't make the cut. The "10" thing is a goofy anarchism that should not be encouraged. But that's a moot point with the renaming anyways.
Idk man, I think its cool

As much as I hate the highway ten usage which still exists today I suggested it because in Toronto we have started numbering our lines. But I did not think that Toronto would reach “10” anytime, in their own network, soon. Part of me thinks hurontario is a bit of a strange name if part of the line goes down “main” street. But of all the silly names by far I think it’s the hazel line. If you think naming a line after a highway makes Mississauga look small the idea that the city names everything after one person is the most cult like thing I can think of. It’s almost as if Mississauga has no other notable people, how big is this city again. And the way thing is god forbid we find out some worse skeletons of hazel. Then we will be renaming the line anyways. I do understand your frustration with 10 though.

As much as I hate the highway ten usage which still exists today I suggested it because in Toronto we have started numbering our lines. But I did not think that Toronto would reach “10” anytime, in their own network, soon. Part of me thinks hurontario is a bit of a strange name if part of the line goes down “main” street. But of all the silly names by far I think it’s the hazel line. If you think naming a line after a highway makes Mississauga look small the idea that the city names everything after one person is the most cult like thing I can think of. It’s almost as if Mississauga has no other notable people, how big is this city again. And the way thing is god forbid we find out some worse skeletons of hazel. Then we will be renaming the line anyways. I do understand your frustration with 10 though.
I reach line 15 for Toronto over 15 years ago when I made a presentation to the Commission for the LRT network along with a fleet of 700 LRV's.

Still can have Toronto X Line 10 and Mississauga Hurontario Line 10 at the same time using city names in the lines name.

Part of me thinks hurontario is a bit of a strange name if part of the line goes down “main” street.

Not really, as the Main St. section (if ever built), is much shorter than the Hurontario St. portion so "Main" could easily be omitted from the name; the same as the TTC 95 York Mills bus omits Ellesmere from the route name despite at least half the route covering Ellesmere Rd. or the 54 Lawrence West bus also following Dixon and Airport Rds.

As obnoxious as I found her "Mississauga is a unique community from Toronto", and the pseudo-nationalism she showed the city, I can at the very least respect the effort Mississauga has put in trying to brand itself as its own part of the GTA - and they have definitely succeeded.

The reason Mississauga was so successful in branding itself as being distinct from Toronto was because it wasn't...it was in the 905. Mel Lastman tried the same for North York but it didn't work so well because it was within Metro.

Not really, as the Main St. section (if ever built), is much shorter than the Hurontario St. portion so "Main" could easily be omitted from the name; the same as the TTC 95 York Mills bus omits Ellesmere from the route name despite at least half the route covering Ellesmere Rd. or the 54 Lawrence West bus also following Dixon and Airport Rds.
Maybe you’re right. Either way I don’t think 10 is anywhere as bad as hazel. It makes me wonder what Mississauga is going to name dundas when that time comes around.

I reach line 15 for Toronto over 15 years ago when I made a presentation to the Commission for the LRT network along with a fleet of 700 LRV's.

Still can have Toronto X Line 10 and Mississauga Hurontario Line 10 at the same time using city names in the lines name.
I think we should try to think more like a region and not confuse wayfinding unnecessarily.

Reactions: rbt
Port Credit progress: https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/02/...sh-box-progress-in-new-hurontario-lrt-photos/
Port-Credit-Station-2.jpg

LSW-Structure-Push-Box-Excavation-2.jpg

Which means calling it for the street it runs on. A street that has had the name "Hurontario" for 170 years.
H Line, or Line H could also work as well. Naming your line after a letter is really under looked at but this could be Mississauga’s potential signature naming scheme for their RT projects, and could distance itself from the TTC line numbering, and Waterloo’s 300 series Ion for its RT’s. T Line could work well for the Transitway, L line could work for whatever Lakeshore RT is planned, and D Line could work for Dundas BRT (or if they plan to change the street name, the first letter of that).

Last edited:

Back