Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Brampton staff have released their report on the HMLRT. They have rejected the so-called "alternative" routes. PDF here.

There is an anti-LRT meeting tonight at Grace United Church at 730PM.

Brampton staff have released their report on the HMLRT. They have rejected the so-called "alternative" routes. PDF here.
More to the point, staff is officially recommending the surface alignment down Main St.

THAT Council endorse the Hurontario-Main Light Rail Transit (LRT) surface route that was recommended in the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP) and approved by the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change as the preferred alignment for the Hurontario-Main LRT Project, including north of Steeles Avenue to the Brampton GO Station;

The tunnel would be an additional $380 million, to be borne entirely by Brampton if they chose it. The tunnel has a Benefit-cost-ration of only 0.19

More to the point, staff is officially recommending the surface alignment down Main St.

The tunnel would be an additional $380 million, to be borne entirely by Brampton if they chose it. The tunnel has a Benefit-cost-ration of only 0.19

As seen in Toronto, politicians tend to ignore staff and go for what will get them elected in the short term. Long term is generally cast aside.

As seen in Toronto, politicians tend to ignore staff and go for what will get them elected in the short term. Long term is generally cast aside.
It's still a win, however minor, that the politicians haven't successfully coerced staff into recommending the tunnel.

At least the staff working for the city of Brampton have brains. Let's see if the politicians do too.

Have they looked at a possible phase two? Having the LRT end at the Brampton GO is fine for a phase one. However, there is still housing developments occurring north of there. There should be a phase two for expansion of the Hurontario-Main LRT north. And those housing developments north of the Brampton GO should be, at minimum, a medium density.
In 2008 I call for 5 phases for Hurontario/10 when I meet with the Ministry of MTO.

Phase 1 as plan. Phase 2 Brampton north City limits. Phase 3 Caledon. Phase 4 Orangeville. Phase 5 if needed, Own Sound.

Taking it north would generate more riders as well redevelopment of that area.

I believe Peel has that phase in their books with no date for it that I know of.

In 2008 I call for 5 phases for Hurontario/10 when I meet with the Ministry of MTO.

Phase 1 as plan. Phase 2 Brampton north City limits. Phase 3 Caledon. Phase 4 Orangeville. Phase 5 if needed, Own Sound.

I believe Peel has that phase in their books with no date for it that I know of.
An LRT to Owen Sound?

The long-term plan for the 502 Zum route is to extend it to the Hurontario/410 interchange, where a carpool lot/bus loop is planned by the MTO. That's it.

If Caledon Transit ever comes back to life, the new 502 terminus would be a logical connection point between GO buses to Orangeville, BT 502 (and perhaps the 7 and 24 local routes), and what ever local buses Caledon would send to serve Valleywood and Southfields.

But LRT to Caledon? Owen Sound? I don't even think GO rail service makes sense on the OBRY line.

An LRT to Owen Sound? Wow. /sarcasm

Even an LRT to Orangeville is totally unnecessary, not for perhaps 100 years. Heck, even BRT is overkill in the next 100 years.

Last edited:

But do you want to have an LRT line that long? To Owen Sound? What is the purpose of that? Even to Orangeville is too long.

I don't think Main LRT should be a priority for Brampton. They just need connection for downtown to Mississauga. Any extension beyond that is not a good idea. The main street of Brampton is actually Queen St after all. That's their busiest transit corridor by far. Main St north of downtown is a very average suburban corridor. I don't see the point of LRT there. Really, downtown was the only reason to even consider LRT north of Steeles in the first place. Otherwise it would be Hurontario LRT, not Hurontario-Main LRT. Even the 502 Züm Main route serves Hurontario more than Main (both the 2 and 502 end at Sandalwood Pkwy), so it probably should be called 502 Züm Hurontario instead.

I think people who are suggesting alternate routes for the Brampton section don't understand that the LRT is one link is a system-wide network. By linking the LRT directly and efficiently to the GO station it allows people living in Kitchener, Guelph and Georgetown to get to jobs in Brampton and Mississauga without driving. It also allows people living in Brampton and Mississauga to get to jobs in Kitchener, Guelph and Georgetown. In doing so it will bring hundreds of potential new customers through downtown Brampton every day. Having the LRT running up Main Street so people can see the shops is the key to taking advantage of that. It will also mean that more people will want to live in downtown Brampton because it will become one of the most 'connected' places in the GTA.

I'm wonder if the people who are against the LRT have some bizarre desire to see downtown Brampton fail - perhaps a secret group of pro-suburban/anti-urbanites who feel personally threatened by the global warming inspired "war on cars".

Back