Toronto Hotel X (was Hotel in the Garden) | ?m | 27s | Exhibition Place | NORR

Isn't the EX supposed to be about novelty and innovation? This looks dated, almost 1980's po-mo, and I have no idea what to make of the top or what they were trying to achieve with this design. Such a shame for the location and unobstructed views of the structure- a truly missed missed opportunity to do something interesting here.

Just look at the dinosaurs on the Ex board.

AoD

Indeed- total lack of imagination and vision. "It’s the kind of behemoth hotel and convention complex that desperate, mid-sized cities in the rust belt or other places the economy has left behind sell their souls for" -L. Yes I would add 'in the 80's to that, pretty sure some of those rust belt cities have moved beyond this sort of thing.

What a thoroughly uninspiring clunker. Doesn't even look good in the most flattering of light.

29687644056_5ce9c8da25_h.jpg

29431890420_56c326b1ed_h.jpg

Our locals never hesitated to choose expediency over significance.

AoD

Expediency isn't behind the design of this project. This is a result of poor tastes through a collaboration between some crappy Manhattan firms and an international Dubai wannabe. I still think locals would pulled off better even by choosing with the go to firm, KPMB.

Will there be any redeeming lighting features or anything like that? If it was lit up like a carnival itself might at least make it look interesting at night. I do not hate it, but it is definitely a missed opportunity that belongs in Kitchener.

Hmm, really could have sworn construction had been suspended much longer than just the past month.

Indeed- total lack of imagination and vision. "It’s the kind of behemoth hotel and convention complex that desperate, mid-sized cities in the rust belt or other places the economy has left behind sell their souls for" -L. Yes I would add 'in the 80's to that, pretty sure some of those rust belt cities have moved beyond this sort of thing.

Think Michael Moore's Flint.

The 80s Ontario equivalents were all those Eaton Centres.

(ducks in advance). Doesn't bother me as much as it does many others here.

IMG_3661.JPG
IMG_3664.JPG
IMG_3662.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3661.JPG
    IMG_3661.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_3662.JPG
    IMG_3662.JPG