Toronto Hotel X (was Hotel in the Garden) | ?m | 27s | Exhibition Place | NORR

I know it's basically a convention hotel but I wonder if it will be called "Hotel X" when it opens?

Q:"Where should we stay when we visit Toronto honey?"....

A:"Well, the Hilton, looks good - so does the Shangri La... Or how about the Four Seasons??...... Nah - actually let's try Hotel X ! "

I admit it's ugly and banal, but is it really that much worse than pretty much everything else in Toronto?

I admit it's ugly and banal, but is it really that much worse than pretty much everything else in Toronto?

If this were built at an airport office park, no one would care. But this POC is being built at a significant, high-profile Toronto site with a history of architectural excellence and innovation.

4724c29c-8659-46c9-a134-671f8958c667_zpsefy3tqx2.jpg

Yeah, it's architecture and urban form is much worse than the majority of towers to go up in Toronto. Any local team would have done infinitely better.

Isn't the EX supposed to be about novelty and innovation? This looks dated, almost 1980's po-mo, and I have no idea what to make of the top or what they were trying to achieve with this design. Such a shame for the location and unobstructed views of the structure- a truly missed missed opportunity to do something interesting here.

Back