Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 12.17.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 12.19.10 PM.png

Would be a good location for a station, I just hope they don't have to knock my house down to do it. Eek.

Do train drivers need new training for this sort of infrastructure, or do they just follow signals?

They definitely need practice. Most likely there will be written Special Instructions or General Bulletin Orders added to their reference documents, covering any unusual requirements or restrictions. And it will be added to their simulator content, I’m sure.

With push-pull operation, the practical skills relate to keeping the slack bunched or stretched as the train climbs, levels, and descends - so there is no jolting to the passengers.

The test the other day simulated a train going into emergency and coming to a stop on the grade. That’s an interesting scenario because with a train (unlike automobiles) there is no graduated release from an emergency brake application - once the train has gone into emergency and stopped, releasing the brake is an “all the way” proposition. Recovering the brake system and getting the train going again without rolling away takes some skill and concentration, and adherence to procedure, especially in the uphill direction..

- Paul

They definitely need practice. Most likely there will be written Special Instructions or General Bulletin Orders added to their reference documents, covering any unusual requirements or restrictions. And it will be added to their simulator content, I’m sure.

Would some of the VIA engineers have been out there with the GO crews on Monday, even though it wasn't any of their equipment used in the exercise?

Would some of the VIA engineers have been out there with the GO crews on Monday, even though it wasn't any of their equipment used in the exercise?

I have no idea how VIA gets the info transferred, or if the VIA crewing and equipment needed its own verification..

- Paul

It could be as simple as that there hasn't been enough tonnage over the ballasted parts of the line to lift the speed restrictions on them, or as you note, continued construction in the area.

Dan
The operating bulletin I was given had zone speeds of 60 and 45 North of the bridge. However there might be further gbos that I'm not aware of.

I don’t share videos on here very frequently these days, but I’m very happy with how this one on the diamond came out and a bunch of people from the community helped out with it to create a super cool multi camera effect of a train crossing the guideway, check it out:

I rode the 19:53 northbound to Aurora today (RIP off-peak trains), and it was crawling over the guideway. We went up the ramp at about 64 km/h, the speed rose to about 68 along the top and they braked to 64 for the ramp back down. Hopefully those speeds are not representative of the track speeds.

Last edited:
I rode the 19:53 northbound to Aurora today (RIP off-peak trains), and it was crawling over the guideway. We went up the ramp at about 64 km/h, the speed rose to about 68 along the top and they braked to 64 for the ramp back down. Hopefully those speeds are not representative of the track speeds.
Are there still slow orders due to construction?

Timetable speed is 60 mph northbound up to roughly just north where the ramp starts to decend and goes down to 45 mph.

Timetable speed is 60 mph northbound up to roughly just north where the ramp starts to decend and goes down to 45 mph.
I wonder why it needs to slow to 45 mph (72 km/h) for the north side ramp. Hopefully that's something related to the temporary track shift rather than a permanent limitation with the design

Back