Toronto Gibson Square Condominiums | 137.46m | 42s | Menkes | Rafael + Bigauskas

Empire Theatre closed down? That's terrible. I always thought that one Toronto's most underrated interiors was Empress Walk's open escalators to the theatre directly above the aisles of the Loblaws. Now I guess there's no point in going up there. Hopefully, another movie theatre will open in its place. I think that the area can support more retail with more people moving there.

That lower concourse at NYCC makes Aura look like a happening place. I wonder why it's done so atrociously poorly. Rents too high? The upper concourse seems not too bad at least

Good memories of Empire Theatre from my high school days. Sneaking in with friends and watching free movies back when they didn't have any guards checking tickets at the entrances. :D

The closure is bad news but not surprising though. The theatre was always underperforming and always appeared less than half full, even on good days. Empress Walk as a whole is full of unfulfilled potential. I like the interior, and hopefully consumer activity picks up someday.

Last edited:
Retail?,.... are you kidding????

NorthYorkCityCentre across the street to the south,.... has basically half their retail space sitting empty,.... have you ever been in their lower concourse level?

EmpressWalk to the southeast has a few anchor tenant like Loblaws, FutureShop, Staples,.... which keeps the lower level busy,... now Dollarama gives a bit of life to the second level,.... but Empire Theatre just closed down.

Does it sound like this area can support more retail???? You might get a small retail mom&pop dry cleaner,... or another half empty Asian snack food place,... but there won't be a mall in the podium.

hmm ....

Firstly, most ground level retail in NYCC does OK, yes there are some spots for lease along the Finch -> Sheppard stretch but not a huge amount ... the restaurants tend to do very well in the area.

The rumor is Ciniplex will takeover empire.

Regarding Gibson Square, I recall hearing a farmer's market will be in some of the retail space. Which I don't quite understand as there's plenty of space in Mel Lastmen Square for that.

Really? Cineplex already operates Sheppard Cinemas a couple blocks south.

NYCC's lower concourse's struggles really aren't that surprising. There's not enough office space to connect with in the area to really attract more pedestrian interest and shopping potential. Unless someone works in the immediate towers above, there's few other people circulation. The Civic Centre is also usually not much of a draw on regular days. The Sheppard Centre is a bit more successful because of its direct connection with the transit hub.

On a side note, I'm scanning the surrounding area on Google Maps and the NE corner of Yonge/Empress is ripe for redevelopment.

Last edited:
Really? Cineplex already operates Sheppard Cinemas a couple blocks south.

NYCC's lower concourse's struggles really aren't that surprising. There's not enough office space to connect with in the area to really attract more pedestrian interest and shopping potential. Unless someone works in the immediate towers above, there's few other people circulation. The Civic Centre is also usually not much of a draw on regular days. The Sheppard Centre is a bit more successful because of its direct connection with the transit hub.

On a side note, I'm scanning the surrounding area on Google Maps and the NE corner of Yonge/Empress is ripe for redevelopment.

The two office buildings on top of NYCC are fairly large actually, but yes probably not enough critical mass ... as of course its not must of a destination for anyone other then someone who works in the area.

The food court used to be pretty popular with Earl Haig students.

The rumor was cineplex was going to vacate the Sheppard theater for this one.

That makes sense. Although I doubt it would have immediate success, a rebranding and revitalization should provide a jolt of fresh air for that tired space. Just browsing around the web and apparently they upgraded one of their theatres to IMAX last spring. Also read a neat fact on Wikipedia that Empress Walk has the longest "unsupported escalator" in North America.

EDIT: Thinking back, I recall this used to be (Cineplex) Silvercity Empress Walk. So they might move back and it comes full circle?

Last edited:
They need more office space but all that's being built is condos. Perhaps as all the space is developed the retail here will prosper. Probably would have been better off restricting retail to street level.

That makes sense. Although I doubt it would have immediate success, a rebranding and revitalization should provide a jolt of fresh air for that tired space. Just browsing around the web and apparently they upgraded one of their theatres to IMAX last spring. Also read a neat fact on Wikipedia that Empress Walk has the longest "unsupported escalator" in North America.

EDIT: Thinking back, I recall this used to be (Cineplex) Silvercity Empress Walk. So they might move back and it comes full circle?

Empress Walk used to be a Famous Players theatre, which competed with Cineplex's Grande at Sheppard Centre when they were both opened. I believe when Cineplex bought FP, they had to get rid of one for competition reasons, and the Empress Walk theatre became an Empire theatre. I've heard that the Grande may be closing, which is why Cineplex could be taking over the Empress Walk location.

Empress Walk used to be a Famous Players theatre, which competed with Cineplex's Grande at Sheppard Centre when they were both opened. I believe when Cineplex bought FP, they had to get rid of one for competition reasons, and the Empress Walk theatre became an Empire theatre. I've heard that the Grande may be closing, which is why Cineplex could be taking over the Empress Walk location.

where did you hear that Cineplex took over the empress walk location?

I said "could be" taking over the Empress Walk location. I probably read it on UT, though I don't remember when. A few posts before mine, taal said it was a rumour too.

The Cineplex Grande is vacating Sheppard Place and moving to Empress Walk. I'm not sure what they will do with the old Cineplex location but I am hoping that they rework it into more retail and by extension, give Sheppard Place a much needed spit shine and polish. That mall is like something out of 1983. I half expected to see a video game arcade when I first walked in there.

April 17
8660458139_075126cd38_b.jpg

8661520374_4976d97298_b.jpg

8660421757_ed0ca2cdfc_b.jpg

8660428943_9287af8585_b.jpg

8661522588_2b92cbea31_b.jpg

Since people were chatting about this earlier ...

Cineplex pulls theatre switcheroo at Yonge and Sheppard

By: Peter Howell Movie Critic, Published on Thu Apr 25 2013

In a switcheroo worthy of a Hollywood caper movie, Cineplex Inc. is swapping one North York theatre multiplex for another.

On June 14, the Toronto-based entertainment giant will reopen the Empress Walk 10 theatre on Yonge St. north of Sheppard Ave., which was abruptly closed last month by Empire Theatres, its Maritimes-based competitor.

On the same day, Cineplex will close its own Cineplex Odeon Sheppard Cinemas, also on Yonge St. and just down the road from Empress Walk.

The nearly 60 employees of Cineplex Odeon Sheppard Cinemas will relocate to the newly reopened theatre at 5095 Yonge St., which will be renamed Cineplex Cinemas Empress Walk. The facility will have 10 screens, including a digital IMAX auditorium.

“We look forward to welcoming guests to Cineplex Cinemas Empress Walk,” said Ellis Jacob, president and CEO, Cineplex Entertainment, in a press statement today announcing the switch.

“We know our guests will enjoy this state-of-the-art theatre and the many improvements we have in store.”

The abandoned Sheppard theatre at 4861 Yonge St., also known as Sheppard Grande, will “be returned to the landlord for redevelopment,” but company spokesman Mike Langdon said he’s not privy to any development plans the landlord might have.

Cineplex wants to make the theatre swap because “we can provide our guests with a newer, even more cutting-edge theatre,” Langdon added.

“The theatre is ideally located, offers a digital IMAX auditorium and allows us to make a number of improvements, including the addition of new box office and concession areas, two party rooms and a gaming area.”

Renovations at Empress Walk are already underway.

In taking over Empress Walk, Cineplex sees potential in the 14-year-old facility that Empire Theatres didn’t think was there.

When Empire abruptly closed Empress Walk in March, affecting upward of 25 workers (many of whom were subsequently hired by Cineplex), Empire president and CEO Stuart G. Fraser told the Star the facility hadn’t been meeting revenue or branding expectations.

“The theatre was underperforming and didn’t represent the brand that we want to represent in the marketplace, unlike the ones that we have in other parts of the country,” Fraser said.

This will be at least the second time the theatre has been rebranded since it first opened in 1999 as Famous Players Empress Walk Silvercity.

Back