Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

Is the fountain gone??

Nope! It will sit in the middle of the courtyard. Rest easy.

Can anyone spot the difference?

Old:

fourseasonsresidences.jpg

New:

4SFullRender.jpg

Too bad.

There are a couple but the largest being the lack of the Four Seasons sign at the top in the new version ... not sure what to think of that - it may still be there for one and was simply left out of that rendering ... I think I'd rather the sign be there.

Good news about the fountain, thanks!

That cladding at the top looks like it's been shortened. Too bad indeed as it could have a been a nice finishing touch though this treatment is getting a bit tired. I would have preferred those vertical ribs on the south side integrating into some roof element similar to IFC

2ifc02.jpg

Can anyone spot the difference?

The original seems to suggest glass fins at the top ... whereas the latest one shows the glass fins eliminated, leaving only glass panels covering the rooftop mechanical box

Okay, up we go!

[video=youtube;21zwoCT8lQ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21zwoCT8lQ8[/video]

The hoist only goes to the 14th floor at the moment. After climbing the stairs for the remaining 4 floors, we come out under the forms in place to pour the 19th floor:

4S01UnderneathForms.jpg

It's about time we introduced you to our tour guides, Joseph Francavilla, Menkes Vice PResident of Highrise Residential, and Goran Skara, Project Superintendent for the Four Seasons:

4S02JoeGoran.jpg

So, let's look around. Here's another shot of the forms that will hold the concrete that will become the 19th floor:

4S03.1619thFormpano.jpg

An empty bucket swings overhead, on its way back to the ground for more concrete:

4S04Rebar.jpg

Lots more rebar sticking out everywhere:

4S05.15Cranespano.jpg

4S06.1318thpano.jpg

This will be the elevator shaft that will carry elevators to the condominium floors through the hotel floors that we are walking on now:

4S07ElevatorShaft.jpg

4S08Columns.jpg

Getting close to the edge, we get a quick view of the Bloor Yonge area:

4S09SouthView.jpg

Here comes the next bicket of concrete up:

4S10Bucket.jpg

Looking up from there, we get a good look at 18 Yorkville, Moody sky behind; at least the rain has let up:

4S11.14MoodySkypano.jpg

Over on the west side of the building, we have this view down Bay Street:

4S12BayStreet.jpg

And finally, looking west acorss Yorkville, we can see the current Four Seasons from our perch at the new site.

4S13Old4S.jpg

Tomorrow we'll take you down the tower a bit, on to some of the floors below for a close-up look at the windows, and we'll wander out onto the loading platform.

Last edited:
INCREDIBLE stuff Urban toronto! wow does this give us a whole new perspective on things! The Bay Street streetwall looks really stunning from above! Really awesome place to built such a tower... and in that shot of Yonge/Bloor, i can't wait till 1 Bloor and Cumberland are built to add some more density to the area :D

awesome stuff guys :D!!!

Okay, here we go, back in to the tower...

4S01.Towerpano.jpg

There was a fair bit of water on the floor - rain had just ended.

4S02OpenFloor.jpg

Here are Joe, Goran, and Ed, taking in the view from the 14th floor. No windows this high up yet.

4S03CatchingTheView.jpg

Ed grabs a shot...

4S04EdPhototaking.jpg

...something like this, looking down at the site of Tower 2:

4S05Tower2Cranepano.jpg

Over on the south side, there's this - the loading platform - hanging out over the edge.

4S06.11LoadingPlatformpano.jpg

You see these at most highrise construction sites. For those with any amount of acrophobia (me, Ed) the idea of stepping out on to one is somewhat daunting.

4S07LoadingPlatform.jpg

The platforms are held down by all these posts that press against the floor above.

4S08LoadingPlatform.jpg

Feeling safer, it was time to venture out:

4S09.1218Yorkvillepano.jpg

Not a bad view, huh? Back inside, and down on the 11th floor, we got a look at the shaft where the crane had once been:

4S11Shaftpano.jpg

Look up, and you can see the bottom of the crane attached to the 14th floor slab:

4S13CraneShaft.jpg

Look down, and you can see down as far as the 4th foor where rebar has gone in prior to the hole being filled with concrete:

4S12CraneShaft.jpg

You might have noticed that on the 11th floor, the windows are in:

4S14Windows.jpg

Close up, you can see the fins that are attached to the south side.

4S15Windows.jpg

Here's a fin, waiting for its day in the sun. The fins will also be installed on the tower's north facade.

4S16Fin.jpg

If that was a fin, this is a wing:

4S17Wing.jpg

... and still focused on the windows, here is one of the operable ones. They're pretty big actually, over a foot high.

4S18Operable.jpg

This view is to the northwest, past the Regency across Bay Street:

4S19Windows.jpg

And this view will someday feature tower 2:

4S20Windows.jpg

To finish our tour, we head down here tomorrow, into the podium:

4S21PodiumSkylightpano.jpg

Thanks again UT!

Its cool how huge the above-ground parking structure is next-door... at first glance i though that parking area was ground level! it looks kinda funny for some reason ...Really weird view if you ask me :D

You know, Steveve, the same question came to my mind, and I know Ed's wondering about that garage too. It does take up a large amount of real estate when looking south, and while it's not like it would be redeveloped just to improve the view for well-healed Four Seasons Hotel guests, there will be more many more eyes on it soon, and subsequently more people pondering the future of the garage. Despite the wide-open top floor, the garage is very well used by vehicles, but maybe the Toronto Parking Authority will start thinking about the value of that property, and consider a higher and better use for it, so to speak, or at least incorporating their garage into the basement levels of a complex that could rise on the site. Time will bring some change to that site, one way or the other!

It might happen sooner than later - there is a push to monetize city assets and TPA is one of the agencies targeted:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-30931.pdf - on TPA (p. 5):

It continues to explore ways of creating additional value, and has identified a variety of options that require further study, including:

Continuing to manage its property portfolio including disposing of facilities which no longer provide a necessary service and intensifying use at appropriate locations
The TPA has engaged KPMG to outline and examine a range of monetization options. When completed, the report and its findings will be presented to the TPA Board of Directors.

AoD

^ I would rather a different approach to that particular parking garage....

- First, I suggest adding three or four more floors, to accommodate twice the number of cars and reduce the need for other nearby parking lots. (Which could then be developed as seen fit.) I am an environmentalist at heart, but denying cars in the core chokes off true economic growth in North American cities.

- Second the top floor should be a giant green roof with the ability to husband full-grown trees such as maples or oaks or better yet, elm trees. The grounds should be landscaped with meandering paths, water features and even a slight hill for a change in terrain. There should be benches, and tables for eating a quick lunch in the day and soft lighting to illuminate the paths at night.

- And finally, (and perhaps most importantly) this new urban park should have sky bridges that link it to nearby developments. Such as one from the new Four Seasons Hotel so guests and residents could use the park. Also, a future spot for a bridge to the planned Cumberland Terrace redevelopment for their residents and office workers.

A true urban oasis in the sky.

Just a thought.

- Second the top floor should be a giant green roof with the ability to husband full-grown trees such as maples or oaks or better yet, elm trees. The grounds should be landscaped with meandering paths, water features and even a slight hill for a change in terrain. There should be benches, and tables for eating a quick lunch in the day and soft lighting to illuminate the paths at night.

EXACTLY! :D ^^^^ though the parking structure does not need to be destroyed, a green roof at the top would be awesome... cause right now all you see is the parking grids and a flat parking structure.

And especially if Cumberland terrrace is built, this parking lot will be bad for those towers too..

the cool thing about this skyscraper is its location. Its got a sorta downtown feel and at the same time not... Its situated very north from most of the skyscrapers and the neighbourhood has a very different feel (hence yorkville).. strange to build such a tall/all glass skyscraper here (but i love it :D)

Last edited:

Back