Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

I am just wondering whatever, why would they position a crane in the wrong place only to move it later to the right place? I mean, imagine the expense of such a move.

The crane was positioned where it needed to be to complete the underground facilities for that portion of the project in as expedient and as efficient a manner as possible. That crane is now longer needed, thus it has been removed. Nothing happens in terms of construction site management without a good reason in projects on this scale.

I think that crane was removed because the smaller tower is not going to be built for the time being.

^It is not at all uncommon for cranes to be switched out in major construction projects. Shangri-La and One Bedford both come to mind - I am sure there are more. In both cases there was a brief panic that such projects had been scaled back or cancelled.

I don't think that his project has been scaled back. It it has been, we should be hearing about it in the press very shortly.

Why not speculate. I don't feel I have gotten a satifactory answer so I will speculate.

Also, why isn't the crane perched on the main tower? Why is it standing outside the tower? Perhaps it will be tethered to the tower as it goes up. But I have never seen that done in Toronto. I have seen that in New York, though.

Last edited:
Why not speculate. I don't feel I have gotten a satifactory answer so I will speculate.

Also, why isn't the crane perched on the main tower? Why is it standing outside the tower? Perhaps it will be tethered to the tower as it goes up. But I have never seen that done in Toronto. I have seen that in New York, though.

Why be so limp-wristed in your baseless rumor mongering? It clearly means the whole project is cancelled.

Thanks for that interesting article OMK.

One thing it didn't mention is where the financing came from for the project. I understand it was underwritten by money from Harvard University.

ok obviously you just don't understand the money behind this project.. let me remind you..

Here is the money behind the project:
Bill Gates - Through Cascade Investments
Did you know that the existing Four Seasons hotel was sold for over 100 Million dollars?
Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal - Through Kingdom Holdings
Menkes - One of the largest developers of Real Estate in the country
Did I mention this building is almost sold out?
Isadore Sharp - Founder and one of the richest people in the country
Did I mention the foundations have already been constructed?
etc, etc, etc...

Last edited:
ok obviously you just don't understand the money behind this project.. let me remind you..

Here is the money behind the project:
Bill Gates - Through Cascade Investments
Did you know that the existing Four Seasons hotel was sold for over 100 Million dollars?
Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal - Through Kingdom Holdings
Menkes - One of the largest developers of Real Estate in the country
Did I mention this building is almost sold out?
Isadore Sharp - Founder and one of the richest people in the country
Did I mention the foundations have already been constructed?
etc, etc, etc...

Thanks, but prove it.

I thought that the OMB approved this building to 50 stories. Where did the additional 5 come from?

Also, can anyone confirm whether the 195m is the top of roof or top of the fins?

I noticed that too. Although I've never heard any number higher than 195m wrt the height. I suppose since the original by-law placed controls on the building envelope rather than the actual number of stories, they could add the 5 stories while keeping the height the same and lower the floor to ceiling heights. Just depends on how the revised zoning bylaw amendment reads.

As for the height, generally speaking building heights are measured to the top of the roof top mechanical and therefore would probably not include the fins.

www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl060496_#077.pdf

www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2006/law0331.pdf

Last edited:

Back