Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

The fourth season:

Coxax.jpg

Saw a couple sides had what looked to be bright lists beat the top, on the two sides of the building I could see from Marlee Eglinton area. Can anyone confirm what that might be? Looked to be where a logo or company signage would be near the top corners of the window wall.

I think hes using auto correct on a phone. probably meant "saw a couple sides had what looked to be bright lights at the top"

Great photo sMT!

^Great photograph.

Could someone please justify the need for red Aircraft Warning Beacons on the shorter tower? Seriously??... If you are flying so low that a 25 floor building is a potential obstacle, then that condo is the least of your worries.

^Great photograph.

Could someone please justify the need for red Aircraft Warning Beacons on the shorter tower? Seriously??... If you are flying so low that a 25 floor building is a potential obstacle, then that condo is the least of your worries.

I'm sure there's some ridiculous rule or regulation due to a flight path in that given area with towers over a certain height. Does look a tad over-the-top.

^Great photograph.

I agree that the aircraft warning beacons on the shorter tower seem unnecessary (although better safe than sorry). What really amazes me are the number of tall structures in the city that don't have warning beacons but should. For example the Tower Crane on Aura does not have a warning beacon despite being one block away from the Sick Kids Heliport. Likewise the Pantages Tower which is a across the street from the St Mikes Heliport. Shangra-La has no warning beacons. I could go on and on.

Just last week in Central London a Helicopter crashed into the Tower crane of the tallest residential building in London killing two people. There were no warning beacons on that crane either.

I agree that the aircraft warning beacons on the shorter tower seem unnecessary (although better safe than sorry). What really amazes me are the number of tall structures in the city that don't have warning beacons but should. For example the Tower Crane on Aura does not have a warning beacon despite being one block away from the Sick Kids Heliport. Likewise the Pantages Tower which is a across the street from the St Mikes Heliport. Shangra-La has no warning beacons. I could go on and on.

Just last week in Central London a Helicopter crashed into the Tower crane of the tallest residential building in London killing two people. There were no warning beacons on that crane either.

What amazes me is that a hotel as pretigious as this doesn't have exterior rooftop lighting--the same can be said for a plethora of buildings in the city. How is anyone supposed to identify it when it has no logo or lighting to distinguish it from its surroundings? It just fades into the darkness, like most buildings in this city. Why are we so reluctant to light buildings up? Enough of the FLAP/light pollution excuses.

Last edited:
FLAP is a legitimate concern. As is the fact most 4$ residents do not need to show off the bling. Why do they have to shout out their wealth when that's simply not the traditional Toronto wealthy style? And who says this building is finished? I would say wait 'til Summer 2013 to see what happens!

FLAP is blown out of proportion. Bird populations aren't going to plummet to endangered levels because we have lighting on our buildings. Would they not still fly into unlit structures that are hard to see? I can't imagine that their direct flight of migration is precisely over the downtown core, and no place else.

It's not a matter of showing off "bling", but enhancing what is already a beautiful piece of art, for everyone in the city to admire and be inspired by. How many people visit Paris and complain about all the lighting of their buildings? Toronto would be even more vibrant if our buildings and street facades had more decorative lighting. So many beautiful buildings are hard to appreciate at night because their details are hidden in darkness. This is off topic, but what happened to the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood heritage lighting plan? Is that dead?

Would they not still fly into unlit structures that are hard to see?

Short answer: no.

And yes, a huge amount of birds do migrate (and must migrate) through the middle of downtown Toronto. They fly south until they hit the lake, and then they move west on the lake (since they can't fly over it). This means puts Toronto and the GTA in general on the way.

Back