Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

Bulky and squat? I think you need to get a prescription because you seem to not be seeing things clearly. If you think Shangri-la is bulky and squat what would you consider FCP, Scotia Plaza, Commerce Court, The TD Center, The Bay Wellington Tower, The Bay-Adelaide Centre and many more of Toronto's most prominent buildings to be? Because they all have a greater width to height ratio than Shangri-la. Also I wasn't aware that buildings should turn their supposed 'face' towards a certain vantage point because some people are incapable of viewing it from alternative locations.

In addition, I will apologize on behalf of the architects of Shangri-la for trying to make an interesting building. Perhaps it was still too soon to attempt such a construct in the city of Toronto. I understand that designing a building with too many visual aspects can be difficult to accept for conservative minded people such as yourself. Perhaps if they had wisely chosen to make it look exactly the same from all angles it would have been more in agreement with your superior tastes.

But enough with the sarcasm.
I for one am thankful that people with the same ideals that you espouse are not the only ones designing buildings in this city. The sterile and minimalist world that you so desire has thankfully been severely compromised by the presence of Shangri-la :)

The base, as illustrated in the pic (re-)posted above, is an absolute mess. There's got to be a dozen different types of glazing and surface treatments down there, chopped up into cubes and crystals, innies and outies. The anemic facets are rather pointless too. They do nothing for the building but very marginally organize the bottom. A 66-storey tower that somehow manages to be bulky and squat, bizarrely it turns its side to one of the most important view corridors in the city.

i dunno. maybe shangri-la's not your cup of tea... i like the crazy crystal/textured look of the building. this things got curves. sexy. a giant piece of public art (at least on the University side)

and maybe this isn't "just for kids"... maybe it's just what's cool today... straight glass boxes have been around... for a long time.. just because it's a more minimalistic design, doesn't mean its for grown ups, nor does it mean a more fine tuned skyscraper... it's just a different style that we can all appreciate :)

I find the fact that people have such strong views about Shangri-La, both for and against, very encouraging. Regardless of whether it's good or bad (I personally quite like it, although I like the Four Seasons much better), the fact that it's starting such passionate discussions is fantastic. Most architecture in Toronto is notable only for it's complete lack of anything interesting or controversial. The two best projects in Toronto's recent history are the OCAD expansion and the ROM, not because they are necessarily good or bad (for the record, I love the former and still haven't warmed up to the latter), but because they have started so many great debates about architecture in this city.

I realize that this thread is in fact for the Four Seasons, not Shrangri-La. In the words of Governor Perry, "sorry, oops". The Four Seasons is looking fantastic! I was running down Avenue Road this morning just south of St. Clair, and I was shocked by the degree to which it dominates the mid-town skyline.

from today
DSCF0522.jpg

Wow! Great shots, both of you!

It's really coming together now :). I'm most excited to see the base now... the dark grey stone looked beautiful last time I saw it, and I like the vertical slit windows they used.

^^^ I'm free to shoot down a highly-visible project that's anything but solid. Shangri-La misses the mark by a wide margin. The base, as illustrated in the pic (re-)posted above, is an absolute mess. There's got to be a dozen different types of glazing and surface treatments down there, chopped up into cubes and crystals, innies and outies. The anemic facets are rather pointless too. They do nothing for the building but very marginally organize the bottom. A 66-storey tower that somehow manages to be bulky and squat, bizarrely it turns its side to one of the most important view corridors in the city.

Scattered, changeable, attention-seaking Shangri-La is for kids. Unified, understated, supremely-proportioned Four Seasons is for grown-ups.

What is it about shameless aA fanboys that makes them so unbearably pretentious?

This is a serious question.. It really does seem to be the fanboys of that one firm.

holy AMAZING at that skyline pic! the city looks so different! trump looks photoshopped and four seasons looks perfect!.. one bloor will kinda over dominate this view and throw off the dynamic.

even more stunning ^^^ fall colours at their best.
in a sense, almost reminds me of central park with the view of midtown manattan in the background.

This a great shot!!

Very deceiving shot, as it makes FS look west oc Cn tower on the lake, really different perspective....What Aura and 1 Bloor are gonna add from here!!! WOW!!

Aure should be to the right of FCP/CASA , and 1 Bloor, beheind the Bay building??
From here we will 5 tall towers loned up really cool .....Scotia FCP....Aura 1 Bloor and FS

Very deceiving shot, as it makes FS look west oc Cn tower on the lake, really different perspective....What Aura and 1 Bloor are gonna add from here!!! WOW!!

Aure should be to the right of FCP/CASA , and 1 Bloor, beheind the Bay building??
From here we will 5 tall towers loned up really cool .....Scotia FCP....Aura 1 Bloor and FS

cool points for use of exclamation marks, WOW, and ...'s! :D

and ya, this view is only gonna get crazier... Aura might not block out any of FCP from this view thankfully after a second glance!..
I'm actually think Aura will look better than One Bloor in this view, just because one bloor might look boxy from afar,

1 Bloor will definitely look taller than 4S, in fact I'm predicting it will stand around the height of the CN Tower's Sky Pod from this vantage point. Where's Traynor? We need his services.

Back