Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

Agreed!

Artistic renderings of Aura don't do it justice. Additionally, people underestimate the sheer mass of this building.

Yes, the renderings do it no justice at all other than to give you the generalized form of the building. Thats another reason why I appreciate Aura – for its sheer massiveness and yet it doesn't appear bulky. It reminds me of Scotia Plaza. From one perspective it appears to be the most massive building in the entire city, but from another it is incredibly slender. Aura will can be seen as the blue toned, curved version.

Anyhow, I better stop making posts about Aura on the 4 seasons trend...

To me what makes this tower a success over most other "boxes" is the proportions... absolutely perfect porportions

Sarcasm noted and dismissed.

You guys honestly don't see a strong similarity here?

3182563833_4082a2a51b_b.jpg

4Seasons7_June15-11.jpg

Why don't you just take a Foghat-esque 'Slow Ride' on this one as you only seem to be digging yourself deeper. Aside from the *just-plain-dumb* comparison of Stern's St. Thomas and Peter's Four Seasons, you've compounded matters by using what is arguably Cityplace's best tower (KMPB and Core, iirc) as a stand in (?) for "bad design." It'd be interesting to see which image you might substitute were you called upon to name said "bad design's" antithesis?

Last edited:
fourseasonsv.jpg

Taken earlier today.

Why don't you just take a Foghat-esque 'Slow Ride' on this one as you only seem to be digging yourself deeper. Aside from the *just-plain-dumb* comparison of Stern's St. Thomas and Peter's Four Seasons, you've compounded matters by using what is arguably Cityplace's best tower (KMPB and Core, iirc) as a stand in (?) for "bad design." It'd be interesting to see which image you might substitute were you called upon to name said "bad design's" antithesis?

My point was not that the FS is a bad design. It's that it is a simple design, an unexceptional design, and reasonably close facsimile to a very entry level building drowning in a cluster of mediocrity.

For my money I don't see the justified premium attached to the FS tower vs an array of other high quality towers, such as 1ST. For that matter it doesn't far outdo a more middle of the road project like at The X tower either in my opinion. Inside of course we have no way of knowing but clearly the outdoor space is minimal.

The FS is shaping up to be high quality building no doubt, but a $1800 per square structure it is not, in my opinion. A $28-million penthouse bearing structure it is not, in my opinion.

It presents itself more as a finely crafted commercial office building than a lodging destination and residence to the affluent of discriminating taste.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what a $28M penthouse structure is supposed to look like, surely there are $20+ million penthouses in buildings in Manhattan, London and other cities that are not as sharp looking nor as striking as the FS. In my opinion it's perhaps the sharpest looking tower built downtown in several decades, and easily outshines anything along the Bloor corridor.

I expected the lower crane #1 would be removed first and in short time, as there was nothing for it to do when I made my comments about removal a week or so ago, since #2 crane could lower it. #3 crane should come down any time next follow by #2. #3 should be brought down by a mobile crane while #2 with a jib crane. No more cranes in the area come the end of July until 77 gets taller. After that, it will be a few more years until U condo, One Bloor appear in the skyline follow by a few more.

Even though I don't like square class boxes, this is one I do like, except for the smaller one, as it has a number of thing going for it. My final opinions will be done once it total completed.

I don't know how ppl can say if a $28m penthouse is not better than other penthouse either in this city or elsewhere since they have yet to be in one as well see what the views are like from them. At this time, the view from FS will be great until a few more towers are built in the area of the same height or are taller. Even then, it will be more than 20 years before they start loosing their view.

My point was not that the FS is a bad design. It's that it is a simple design, an unexceptional design, and reasonably close facsimile to a very entry level building drowning in a cluster of mediocrity.

I do agree that the city is being inundated with a "cluster of mediocrity". But I disagree that the 4 Seasons is one such building. The design may be conservative but the quality is far beyond the norm. It would be fair to say the 4 seasons is on the same level as 1 ST in that respect(though like you I prefer 1 ST’s form). I’m ok with the occasional glass box going up as exception can always be made for quality.

For my money I don't see the justified premium attached to the FS tower vs an array of other high quality towers, such as 1ST. For that matter it doesn't far outdo a more middle of the road project like at The X tower either in my opinion. Inside of course we have no way of knowing but clearly the outdoor space is minimal.

The FS is shaping up to be high quality building no doubt, but a $1800 per square structure it is not, in my opinion. A $28-million penthouse bearing structure it is not, in my opinion.

It presents itself more as a finely crafted commercial office building than a lodging destination and residence to the affluent of discriminating taste.

I'd imagine the premium in price would probably have more to do with the name attached to the project, its location and the interior features than it does with the exterior design.

Yeah, cause Four Seasons is my favourite new Toronto skyscraper...and i hate boxes, figure it.:confused: LOL:D;)

I could see how my post might have been misunderstood. I was referring to Shangri-La as being my fav u/c not the 4 seasons.

Why can't a simple design be exceptional? (And again you bumble as X is regarded by many to be one of the best projects in the city)

I'd imagine the premium in price would probably have more to do with the name attached to the project, its location and the interior features than it does with the exterior design.

It's an unjustified premium in my opinion as compared to the plethora of other high quality/luxury condos built in this neighborhood in the past 5+ years.

Why can't a simple design be exceptional? (And again you bumble as X is regarded by many to be one of the best projects in the city)

I wasn't criticizing the X condo. I was suggesting that this building, supposedly the premier tower of Toronto, shouldn't be twice as much if the design and look are substantially the same.

Back