Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

No excuse. Imagine the people walking out from Hilton, that big black ugly thing is right in front of them, in a VERY bad way.

Instead of "wow, what is that, it looks gorgeous"
Now we have "eww, what is that ugly view outside the window"
or worst, nobody notices it and nobody cares.

Funny thing is, I can imagine a lot of visiting architecture/design-conscious Euros--y'know, the kind we supposedly "look up to"--being impressed by 4SC's understated modernist expression. You see, they're *beyond* "wow, what is that, it looks gorgeous" or "eww, what is that ugly view outside the window".

Remember, too, a lot of those "eww" people exiting the Hilton are the sorts who'd prefer something of the same date like Nashville's Symphony Hall
1.jpg

So, if *they* don't like 4SC, tough cookies.

You see, they're *beyond* "wow, what is that, it looks gorgeous" or "eww, what is that ugly view outside the window".

Perhaps. But I'm skeptical they're beyond "Oh, THAT was the opera house? I had no idea."

I'm even skeptical that they're that skeptical. As opposed to those who expect opera houses to look like that Nashville example.

571044897_823340469_d493edefb5c22e976cbf44a1d223b4037ba08c32.jpg

Or, like this.

I'm even skeptical that they're that skeptical. As opposed to those who expect opera houses to look like that Nashville example.

571044897_823340469_d493edefb5c22e976cbf44a1d223b4037ba08c32.jpg

Or, like this.

Fair enough, but I think it's a bit simplistic to assume that the Con camp were looking for a crumpled up Gehry opera house, or some pastiche insta-monument.

My beef with it is just that it's too modest and controlled a response to the drama and exuberance that's meant to go on inside it.

Opera is about the beautiful voice, not about shouting, so a visually loud building that will rapidly become yesterday's fashion wouldn't be appropriate.

It would be nice if that retail space on Queen, where the car's on display, gets converted into a restaurant eventually. Maybe it could be combined with an expanded Opera Store. Talking of which, though I understand the plan was to open it in time for the final operas of the season, it's possible that may be not happen until the fall.

I've heard that there will be some COC on display in From the House of the Dead's shower scene, along with the silent supernumeraries.

Fabulous! See you on Saturday!

Oh, yes. I'd forgotten there isn't a matinee that day.

Let's meet in alklay's "the City Room is an overrated lobby" overrated lobby, before the show. How about at the Henry Moore?

If we're feeling bold, we can wander into the "bland and uninspiring" Jackman Lounge that's such "a shame for an important arts building" ... and have a shamefully bland and uninspiring old time together!

Looking forward to it.

Let's meet in alklay's "the City Room is an overrated lobby" overrated lobby, before the show. How about at the Henry Moore?

If we're feeling bold, we can wander into the "bland and uninspiring" Jackman Lounge that's such "a shame for an important arts building" ... and have a shamefully bland and uninspiring old time together!

Looking forward to it.

Does your high-horse have to sit separately, or is there somewhere you can check it?

The guy who mistakes this place for a Jaguar/Range Rover dealership knows everything about high horses and where to park them. Check with him.

Looking forward to it.

A quelle heure, mon chéri?

Cool! A mod giving heck to another mod for being off topic.

Just like me.

Something odd I was thinking after the Grammys: relative to all that flash and spectacle, Leslie Feist was, visually speaking, almost like an emissary for Toronto The "Uninspiring", "Drab", etc. The Toronto that Torontonians looking for a little flash are embarrassed about. The 4SC Toronto...

Note that I used quotes.

Back