Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

Something odd I was thinking after the Grammys: relative to all that flash and spectacle, Leslie Feist was, visually speaking, almost like an emissary for Toronto The "Uninspiring", "Drab", etc. The Toronto that Torontonians looking for a little flash are embarrassed about. The 4SC Toronto...

Note that I used quotes.

*shrug*

I think of 4SC as more the architectural equivalent of Michael Bublé.

*shrug*

I think of 4SC as more the architectural equivalent of Michael Bublé.

No, that's the Rose Theatre in Brampton.
rose1.jpg

Queen Street presence

Talk about rehashing an old thread but this continues to bother me...

Does anybody know why the Four Searson's Centre is having such a hard time leasing their space on Queen St.?

It's had the red covering boasting about their "New Home" since the place opened up years ago and a peak inside reveals that the space is completely unused.

This is prime real estate, steps from City Hall, the Sheraton, Eaton Centre and The Bay, the city's premier tourist hotspots, yet no sight of a restaurant, café, anything that would enliven Queen St.

The location is a guaranteed success yet there are no takers. There's also plenty of room up on the roof for the originally planned restaurant w/ patio.

I wonder if the Centre is not seeking any tenants.

I'm able to forgive the York St. façade and even the Richmond st frontage but having a blank brick wall along Queen St., across from Osgoode Hall's beautiful gardens is intolerable. I now wish they went ahead with the tower portion of the building which would at least have added some life to Queen & York.

I pulled up some images for context:

screenshot20091012at655.png

Home At Last? You've been home at last for years... Imagine this as a bustling restaurant.

screenshot20091012at655.png

... with plenty of room for a sidewalk patio.

Source: GoogleMaps

Is this space even for lease??? Just because its empty doesn't mean it's for lease.

I didn't know that there was leasable space there either. Richmond Street doesn't bother me so much, York Street is forgivable but this stretch along Queen really raises my ire, so much so I try to remember to go out of my way to avoid it.

This streetscape looks a lot like that of Johannesburg in the last days of apartheid. In fact, so much of central Toronto has that rundown, poorly maintained and dated look. Toronto has managed to acquire this look without a "civil war", social disorder and decades of sanctions. Shows what is possible if you really put your mind to it.

This streetscape looks a lot like that of Johannesburg in the last days of apartheid. In fact, so much of central Toronto has that rundown, poorly maintained and dated look. Toronto has managed to acquire this look without a "civil war", social disorder and decades of sanctions. Shows what is possible if you really put your mind to it..

Not that that's bad or anything:D

I asked a commercial real estate agent friend of mine about why the space is still not being used. He found that the space is indeed on the market for lease but not actively seeking tenants because it doesn't have any of the facilities built in for a restaurant or café. Anybody looking to open a restaurant/bar/café there would not only have to pay the very expensive lease that's being asked but would have to spend a considerable amount of money to retrofit the space to be able to function as a one.

Right now, it's just an empty space that was intended by Jack Diamond to be a food & beverage commercial space but when the budget fell short, both the roof top patio restaurant and this space were left as blank roughed in spaces.

It looks like the 4SC itself will have to raise money to retrofit the spaces to attract any tenants. Is the Canadian Opera Company that tight fisted? They have an opportunity to make money with this and add a new dynamic to their building and they're just sitting on their hands?

Their last tax return indicates that they just broke even last year. They're probably trying to keep it that way, and are directing whatever money they can get from their donors to production expenses. It's rare to find a donor that's interested in financing a restaurant. You have to make it to spend it!

And comparing Toronto to a city torn by decades of poverty and control by a bigoted police state?! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

^ Thanks for the info. While they're breaking even, there is untapped potential in their building that can turn it into a full time venue , rather than one just alive during performances.

The corner of York & Queen is being used to showcase their sponsor's cars. The cars can be displayed in the City Room instead and use that space for a café and/or bakery. It's the perfect size.

The space discussed in the last several posts would make a great restaurant or even a ballet or general dance school. The latter fits in with the product being offered by the COC but I'm not sure that kind of business would pay the lease that this location can demand.

Further, the roof of the 4SC was built with the intent for a patio with either a full time restaurant or café/bar.

All of these spaces could be leveraged to the benefit of the 4SC. Giving the public access to the building on a full day + every day basis can generate both cash and public awareness to the building, the COC and their shows, helping put more butts in seats.

And I'm sure they have plans for those spaces. But right now, when their donors are being tight-fisted by necessity, they themselves have to be tight-fisted to maintain current conditions. No matter how big the organization, it's not easy to raise money for the arts, and the situation is made worse when the endowment funds for many arts organizations are in securities that are tanking. Survival is a higher priority than expansion right now.

Back