Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Vancouver and Toronto might be fine because they're centres of global capital and investment but Canada sure as hell isn't getting off easy economically.

We're talking about buildings in Toronto, not what is going to happen in Alberta. Building will slow down considerably in Calgary and Edmonton but Toronto and Vancouver should keep moving forward. This project should make the national decline just fine.

Yes, I was talking about Toronto that we'd be fine here. Calgary has had many ups and downs being a city dependent on riches from natural resources. Sometimes people move out there when times are good and sometimes they move back here when times are bad. Toronto is very economically diverse and several of our sectors do very well with a weakening dollar. Investment in Toronto is not all of a sudden going to stop, if anything it should increase (with all those people from Calgary coming back)!

News Flash: The world is still in a mess.

Canada is the best country in the world. The secret is out. Expect there to be lots of investments here now and well into the future. Don't worry about these projects not happening.
While others might disagree with the sentiment of Canada being the best in the world (or certainly top 5, I'd put Denmark, Australia, Finland and Norway as Canada's equals in this), having actually lived in a developing country for a few years I have to say that it is largely true, Canada is an amazing country to live in.

And given the influx of foreign capital into our housing market in Vancouver and Toronto, it is no secret to the rest of the world either. They will continue to fuel our booming housing market even when the rest of Canada struggles with the economic downturn.

There's a huge exhibition of Frank Gehry's work on at the LACMA in Los Angeles, and the King West project features prominently -- in fact, it probably had the biggest model in the whole show. It partially made up for the curators' curious omission of the AGO, when much less significant buildings were included.

Anyway, nice to see this--and the model really shows the towers in context quite well I think.

Should you happen to be in LA, the show really is a must. Remarkable to see the evolution of Gehry's practice over the decades.View attachment 62609View attachment 62608
Hoping to see it in March.

Can someone point me to the video of the model, please? I can't remember if I saw it posted here or on the official FB group. I can't find it anywhere.

Yes, I was talking about Toronto that we'd be fine here. Calgary has had many ups and downs being a city dependent on riches from natural resources. Sometimes people move out there when times are good and sometimes they move back here when times are bad. Toronto is very economically diverse and several of our sectors do very well with a weakening dollar. Investment in Toronto is not all of a sudden going to stop, if anything it should increase (with all those people from Calgary coming back)!

No, it won't stop in Toronto. It won't stop in Calgary either. A decline in the tens of billions being invested in the Oil Sands will effect Toronto and Southern Ontario. These energy companies are massive vendors for all things in Ontario. Bay Street also runs one of the largest resource investment markets in the world.

Does anyone recall the latest details on Mirvish's plans for his art gallery in the complex? This is one of the most exciting aspects, since IMHO our city doesn't yet have much top tier art. I feel his contribution will be of great benefit to the city and King Street.

Does anyone recall the latest details on Mirvish's plans for his art gallery in the complex? This is one of the most exciting aspects, since IMHO our city doesn't yet have much top tier art. I feel his contribution will be of great benefit to the city and King Street.

The Art Gallery was significantly reduced when the project was cut back by the city. I don’t think it’s going to be large enough to be a permanent home for much of the art - more of a space for travelling art exhibits. I believe it will be about 9,200 sq ft (down from the original 60,000 sq ft which was originally going to be a global “destination for viewing contemporary abstract art”). No firm plans have been announced as yet that I have seen.

Thanks, well that is very sad. Hopefully Mirvish is still gracious enough to create a dedicated space somewhere for his collection. Our city needs that sort of thing. I find the AGO sort of 'light'.

Back