Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Our economy is slowing fast, I hope this gets in under the wire. It's taking forever, while other mediocre projects hoover up demand.

I was thinking the same thing - not so much regarding this project, but various ones which are less further along, This one has enough momentum, one hopes, to carry forward. But with a dollar under 70 cents and oil still dropping, a lot of expectations may be dashed over the coming next few years.

The falling dollar would actually stimulate foreign demand as Canadian property becomes ever cheaper for foreign investors. Add to it the fact that Ontario and Quebec are both projected to grow above 2% in the coming year, carrying the bulk of the national growth, and the majority of job growth concentrated in areas in and around Toronto, there may not be such a drastic impact on construction.

The falling dollar would actually stimulate foreign demand as Canadian property becomes ever cheaper for foreign investors. Add to it the fact that Ontario and Quebec are both projected to grow above 2% in the coming year, carrying the bulk of the national growth, and the majority of job growth concentrated in areas in and around Toronto, there may not be such a drastic impact on construction.

Very true... Toronto has reached a critical mass that I believe is very similar to what New York City experienced in the early 20th century. There is an inceciable appetite from not only domestic but also international investors that realize where this city is heading.

I know for a fact that most trade unions have at least 10-15 years of guaranteed work for their members...

Our economy is slowing fast, I hope this gets in under the wire. It's taking forever, while other mediocre projects hoover up demand.
I would hate to see this, 1-7 Yonge, Bay Centre and The One in particular to slow down as a response.

There is historic precedent for it in Toronto, as Scotia Plaza attests to.

News Flash: The world is still in a mess.

Canada is the best country in the world. The secret is out. Expect there to be lots of investments here now and well into the future. Don't worry about these projects not happening.

News Flash: The world is still in a mess.

Canada is the best country in the world. The secret is out. Expect there to be lots of investments here now and well into the future. Don't worry about these projects not happening.

Wait what? You can't just wave your hands and declare Canada is fine economically, let alone the best in the world. I'm not necessarily of the doom and gloom economic camp but our collapsing dollar, weakened manufacturing industry and low oil prices are definitely about to bring a lot of Canada into a world of hurt in the next couple years. Combine that with the ever-present allure of US firms and still cheaper manufacturing abroad and you have a recipe for little growth (if not economic contraction) and serious brain-drain. Vancouver and Toronto might be fine because they're centres of global capital and investment but Canada sure as hell isn't getting off easy economically.

Some areas will do well in Toronto. Tourism, especially from Americans eager to cash in on an anemic Canadian dollar. The local film and television industry - even in tough times people demand their entertainment, and the dollar differential means American money will continue to pump into Vancouver and Toronto.

I'm cautiously optimistic but I also don't think we're somehow immune from what ails the world economy. Glibly declaring Canada the best country in the world doesn't cut it. America routinely does that, and look who's in the running to snag the presidency!

The economy in general might face some tough times but as far as the building "boom" goes... People on this forum have been saying the end is near since 2008 and earlier. No rest for soothsayers.

Wait what? You can't just wave your hands and declare Canada is fine economically, let alone the best in the world.

What post are you referring to? I didn't see any post where anyone just waved their hands and declared Canada fine. Some people here, such as musafir, are perhaps a little more bullish about the local economy than you seem to be, but they provided substantive reasons for their relative optimism. Anyone can agree or disagree, but they certainly did more than just wave their hands. I don't see any posts where someone claimed the Canada as a whole would have an easy time, which seems to have generated your reaction.

Here's an interesting piece from Washington Post which related to the current discussion. We're not making them in the same ballpark, but we are toppling national heights.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...st-buildings-may-come-with-a-curse/?tid=sm_fb

It does sounds a little like cherry picking examples though. I mean, take the case of Shanghai, it conveniently neglected to mention Jin Mao or World Financial Centre, which doesn't quite fit the narrative so neatly.

AoD

I love the idea that Mr Gehry is trying to creating some kind of abstract type of skyscraper building in the entertainment area. But why have these building look like boxes stacked up upon each other. The first rendering of the middle building was my favourite . It mimics a
statue of a human body like the Oscars trophy. Which I think would be appropriate for the entertainment district that symbolizes the area. Too many box looking buildings in the city of Toronto !

Back