Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

In this case, what is proposed vastly outweighs what is potentially lost. I don't think incorporating the existing buildings will result in anything remotely attractive due in large part to Ghery's style as was mentioned earlier. This project, unlike many other projects that destroyed "heritage" structures deserves our support because of what it gives back.

The only two buildings in Toronto worth saving are Old City Hall and Osgoode Hall, Frank Gehry says
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/1...y-says/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And so, with that statement, the Golden Age of Unquestioning Starchitect Worship endeth.

rob-ford-video-reaction-november-14.jpg

Has councillor Vaughan voiced any opinion for or against the project? Given that it's his ward, if it goes to Council for final approval his voice is going to carry a lot of weight.

From what I gathered from Twitter, Matlow, Layton and KWT are not supportive of the project in its current form. Vaughan seems to understand the impact of this building with the John St cultural corridor and the Gehry/Mirvish legacy and all that so I guess that's better than outright refusal. He has concerns about the sidewalks already being really crowded. While I can't confirm it I can't see him being supportive of the height - haven't read anything though so take with grain of salt. But in terms of the other councillors he seems the most receptive, and it's in his ward, which certainly doesn't hurt.

Has councillor Vaughan voiced any opinion for or against the project? Given that it's his ward, if it goes to Council for final approval his voice is going to carry a lot of weight.
"The meeting resumes at 1:30 p.m., when councillors will vote on the project. Councillor Adam Vaughan is recommending that councillors ignore staff advice and send the Mirvish/Gehry towers to city council’s December meeting without recommendation."

Source: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/1...-city-hall-and-osgoode-hall-frank-gehry-says/

because these towers are refused by the city, toronto will never look like a world class city. it will always look like a large Winnipeg.

I feel like Frank Gehry should've been contributing to Toronto so much. This is only his 2nd project in Toronto...If I became a starchitect, I would make Hamilton the most amazing city ever.

I feel like Frank Gehry should've been contributing to Toronto so much. This is only his 2nd project in Toronto...If I became a starchitect, I would make Hamilton the most amazing city ever.

He's 84. This will be his last project in Toronto and possibly the last Gehry building on this scale.

Re: National Post,

"The only two buildings in Toronto worth saving are Old City Hall and Osgoode Hall, Frank Gehry says"

Adma, that's not what he said, his comments were manipulated and taken out of context by the National Post.

What Gehry said, in reference to the question "other than preserving City Hall but aside from that, everything else is fair game" Gehry said "I don't know, I don't live here anymore. I don't know what's sacred, I know Osgoode Hall is sacred and General Hospital building, where I was born, should have been sacred but that was torn down"

Gehry is right, most buildings in Toronto look like crap and only a few are even worth preserving.

Re: National Post,

"The only two buildings in Toronto worth saving are Old City Hall and Osgoode Hall, Frank Gehry says"

Adma, that's not what he said, his comments were manipulated and taken out of context by the National Post.

What Gehry said, in reference to the question "other than preserving City Hall but aside from that, everything else is fair game" Gehry said "I don't know, I don't live here anymore. I don't know what's sacred, I know Osgoode Hall is sacred and General Hospital building, where I was born, should have been sacred but that was torn down"

Haha, now even CP24 has been putting out the word on what Gehry said, even interviewing personal from architecture firms on what was said...figure it:confused:

Last edited:
Haha, now even CP24 has been putting out the word on what Gehry said, even interviewing personal from architecture firms on what was said...figure it:confused:

Automation Gallery,their is no confusion. What Gehry said in reference to the question "other than preserving City Hall but aside from that, everything else is fair game" Gehry said "I don't know, I don't live here anymore. I don't know what's sacred, I know Osgoode Hall is sacred and General Hospital building, where I was born, should have been sacred but that was torn down"

Back