Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

There was some calculation Layton was referring to, something about 4 dogs per floor on average in Liberty Village (I could be misquoting) and that the park would not be large enough if you extrapolate that with three 80 storey towers.

Update on the parking numbers:

City planning staff says the buildings are too high. Staff also object to the plan because it only includes 311 parking spaces for 2,700 condo units. Given that there are today 229 parking spaces under the Princess of Wales Theatre, which will be demolished, the Mirvish/Gehry project adds a net 75 parking spaces to the neighbourhood.

From the same NP article above

Last edited:
Now that's a way to win people over!

“I don’t know whether we should be designating heritage buildings,” said Mr. Gehry, who was born in Toronto. “I think you should preserve [Old] City Hall because I used to go there when I was a kid.”

That makes him sounds like a NIMBY lol.

He's free to think what he wants, and he certainly has a qualified opinion. However, I think a more understanding approach would be helpful.

Is it too late to be added to that list of people supporting M-G?

“I don’t know whether we should be designating heritage buildings,” said Mr. Gehry, who was born in Toronto. “I think you should preserve [Old] City Hall because I used to go there when I was a kid.”

That makes him sounds like a NIMBY lol.

I've never personally liked Gehry, nor do I care about his opinions. His architecture is recognized world wide, and I think in this particular instance, what we're getting is far more beneficial to the city than what we're replacing.

Apparently only buildings connected to Frank Gehry's life should be saved because nothing matters except Frank Gehry. Maybe he should hang out with our Mayor more often ;)

Is it too late to be added to that list of people supporting M-G?

I've never personally liked Gehry, nor do I care about his opinions. His architecture is recognized world wide, and I think in this particular instance, what we're getting is far more beneficial to the city than what we're replacing.

I'm in favour of it too, but his comments aren't helping.

Apparently only buildings connected to Frank Gehry's life should be saved because nothing matters except Frank Gehry.

I have infinitely more confidence in Gehry than I do the group of people entrusted to make these decisions. A world renowned architect's opinion or the opinion of a group of townies? Not a hard choice. They can't see the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
^so now you don't care about the beloved historic office building being torn down for the richmond adelaide centre that you have complained about multiple times because Gehry said nothing in this city was worth preserving other than Osgoode hall and Old City Hall?

lmao the saviour gehry over multiple architects, planners, public servants, and citizens that actually LIVE in Toronto and have a real, present (for some, everyday) day connection to the site in question. What did he do for our city? Nothing, he left for California and never looked back; only to partonizingly tell us what we should and should not do. Monumental architecture should be about space, place, and meaning and not about the same undulating forms we've seen recycled around the world for about a decade.

I value everyone's opinion. Gehry is the salesman pitching the project. For that reason alone his commentary should by very open to criticism. On building design and spacial solutions I am happy to defer to architects. In the realm of city building architects over-stretch their jurisdiction. The opinion of the lay-person is equally valid to the expert when asking the question what makes a city great and what about a city is worth perserving? Architects have no idea what makes a better city than anyone you will meet on the street.

He's starting to sound senile. There must be at least 15 other major buildings worth saving and then there's st.george campus and the distillery district. Too bad. I wanted to see him make a valid argument not make a foolof himself. Hopefully they still approve some form of it and the project survives.

Back