Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

I'm going to wager Gehry's comments were taken out of context ? That's a ridiculous thing to say otherwise ...

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly happens now? 44 councillors vote on it and if not approved it goes to the OMB?

This is what I would like to know. Will this go before the full city council who will have a chance to approve the project as proposed? What are the chances of it getting approved?

Did Adam Vaughan finally show his cards or is he still keeping them close to the vest? What about the other downtown Councillors - are they for or against the project as proposed?

I don't feel Gehry helped the cause here, at least in terms of public opinion.

Without recommendations means yes, it goes to city council for them to decide. In the past few years previous planning decisions that I have noticed where this is the case, councillors often defer to the ward councillor and tend to vote along with them.

As far as I can tell, without recommendations also often means that the councillor or councillors on that committee disagree with staff opinion. In this case, I would then assume Vaughan wishes to see the buildings be built.

I'm going to wager Gehry's comments were taken out of context ? That's a ridiculous thing to say otherwise ...

His comments were, absolutely, taken out of context. Shame on the National Post. And btw, Gehry is coherent, as opposed to the "he sounds senile" comment on this thread.

Review the youtube video of the meeting and you'll hear his real remarks.

1) See 6:40-7:05 Gehry says "that a facade of a heritage building is rather trivial, as has been done in other cities like Philadelphia, it is an insult to the integrity of the original and to the neighborhood and to the people." (He's 100% right.)

2) See 7:05-7:22 Referring to the question "should we not be designating any heritage buildings", Gehry says "I don't know, I really don't know. I don't see much down there that's been preserved." (Gehry is referring to buildings around the general area of M/G)

3) See 7:40-7:58 referring to the question "other than preserving City Hall but aside from that, everything else is fair game" Gehry says "I don't know I don't live here anymore. I don't know what's sacred, I know Osgoode Hall is sacred and General Hospital building I was born in should have been sacred but that was torn down"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owxuNKmcwfI#t=442

I have infinitely more confidence in Gehry than I do the group of people entrusted to make these decisions. A world renowned architect's opinion or the opinion of a group of townies? Not a hard choice. They can't see the forest for the trees.

Is it the elected representatives, the public servants, the tribunal, or all three, that you trust less than the man who would be paid large sums of money to build this monument to ego?

His comments were, absolutely, taken out of context. Shame on the National Post. And btw, Gehry is coherent, as opposed to the "he sounds senile" comment on this thread.

Review the youtube video of the meeting and you'll hear his real remarks.

2) See 7:05-7:22 Referring to the question "should we not be designating any heritage buildings", Gehry says "I don't know, I really don't know. I don't see much down there that's been preserved." (Gehry is referring to buildings around the general area of M/G)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owxuNKmcwfI#t=442

Gehry makes an important point. The "heritage" buildings on this block are not in what anyone would consider a preserved conditions. The brick has been covered up with layers of off-white paint. None of the windows are original. For as long as anyone on this forum can remember this is how these buildings have looked and if the Gehry proposal does not proceed this is how these buildings will continue to look as long as they are standing. No one is going to come in and spend money to restore them.

Perhaps elements of these buildings could be recycled for other projects downtown. For example the Anderson Building facade could be grafted on to other projects planned in the general area. For the sake of this project it is important that Gehry be given a clean slate to work with.

Gehry makes an important point. The "heritage" buildings on this block are not in what anyone would consider a preserved conditions. The brick has been covered up with layers of off-white paint. None of the windows are original. For as long as anyone on this forum can remember this is how these buildings have looked and if the Gehry proposal does not proceed this is how these buildings will continue to look as long as they are standing. No one is going to come in and spend money to restore them.

Perhaps elements of these buildings could be recycled for other projects downtown. For example the Anderson Building facade could be grafted on to other projects planned in the general area. For the sake of this project it is important that Gehry be given a clean slate to work with.

that was a solid one by Gehry.

I feel like that would be a very nice compromise if we absolutely had to preserve the façade of these buildings.

I'm not a huge fan of the M&G proposal, but I think that a facadectomy would look awful in this instance. Gehry's style just doesn't seem accommodating to such an effort, and I think it would look silly to have some disembodied building fronts tacked on.

I think the preserved heritage with Gehry designed towers will look as horrible as hippo in clothes.
If they want to preserve the heritage the towers should b redesigned.
What do u guys think?

^ I agree that a facadectomy would look ridiculous, but I actually like the design of these buildings. As I said earlier, what we're getting is far more beneficial to the city than what we're replacing. A compromise would not work here, especially with Gehry as the architect; he's not exactly known for his ability to work under the confines of an already present style. In my opinion, he should be given a clean slate.

I'm not a huge fan of the M&G proposal, but I think that a facadectomy would look awful in this instance. Gehry's style just doesn't seem accommodating to such an effort, and I think it would look silly to have some disembodied building fronts tacked on.

A facadectomy is not what I was proposing. I believe the important facades should be carefully disassembled and incorporated into another project nearby OR in other parts of the city such as the distillery district or even Yonge street. For example I could envision the very handsome Anderson building being transplanted to 460 Yonge street. It would have a lot more character than what is being proposed. I think the warehouse structures would look good if they were rebuilt in the distillery district.

The idea is to give Gehry a clean slate to work with.

Back