Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

From hariripontarini.com

stjoseph_8.jpg

Last edited:
5joe.jpg

If they are going to block the sidewalk which I am sure they will, they better give a decent amount of space to pedestrians. Yonge Street already has pathetic pedestrian space, I hope they don't make it worse.

All that being said, can't wait for this one. This is appearing to be a model for redevelopment on Yonge and that gets me excited!

Looks good but still can't make out what's going on at the roof. I trust it'll be resolved better than Verve.

Last edited:
I hope this development becomes a template for redeveloping all of the eyesores along Yonge street. The best results can come from completely dismantling a building and then rebuilding it brick-by-brick as was demonstrated by 11 St. Joseph next door: http://www.torontohistory.org/Pages_ABC/11_St_Joseph_Street.html

I think that's a terrible idea. We should try to save the buildings first. If they are too damaged, only then should we think about dismantling and rebuilding them. As that plaque states, history wasn't saved. The rebuilt form "commemorates the architecture" of the original. Not even facadism - it's historicism with recycled materials.

Looks good but still can't make out what's going on at the roof. I trust it'll be resolved better than Verve.

Agreed! I can't wait for more detailed renders for this one!

I think that's a terrible idea. We should try to save the buildings first. If they are too damaged, only then should we think about dismantling and rebuilding them. As that plaque states, history wasn't saved. The rebuilt form "commemorates the architecture" of the original. Not even facadism - it's historicism with recycled materials.

Ooh. Well-put!

Buildings shouldn't be saved just because they are old. Surely there are some guidelines as to what is of historic value beyond age of building? Some of these buildings were a piece of junk when they were new. They don't improve with age like Scotch. Some of the frontage on Yonge is definitely worth saving, but a great deal of it is not. I know that there are strict regulations regarding heights and development along Yonge, but do they really make any sense any more? It's considered blasphemy to even bring it up in many circles, but sometimes a city needs to save the best, and re-invent itself by tearing down the rest.

If people really do want to keep some of these 3 story buildings, have them moved somewhere else. Yonge Street can't continue like this forever. It's an embarrassment.

Last edited:
When it comes to Yonge St. I think the city's main desire is to preserve the low rise streetscape. Even if a building isn't that attractive they would rather keep it than see Yonge turned into a canyon. I like the current trend of preserving and restoring as many storefronts as possible while backing it up with high rises. It should ensure Yonge's vibrancy well into the future.

Last edited:

Back