Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

So much good news this week, the Spadina bridge is moving forward despite a few loud local opponents, MLG is happening and now 606 Yonge.

St. Joseph Street is a cool little street, hopefully we'll see more responsible projects like this and 67 St. Nicholas in the future - just off Yonge Street and with responsibility towards restoring heritage buildings facing onto Yonge & environs. This is good urban planning.

I'm pretty sure Avanti was the failed project we now know as BSN. (So, still kind of a failed project.)

The project featured in AndroidUK's photo started out life as a Peregrine Hunter built condo (don't remember the name now), but after that firm went under, the project was taken over by the company that built the Jefferson Theatre District (now called the Rosemount Theatre District) apartments, and was opened as a rental building instead. Was it renamed something like Jefferson Uptown? (Has Jefferson gone under too in the US housing crash? I don't have time to check...)

So much good news this week, the Spadina bridge is moving forward despite a few loud local opponents, MLG is happening and now 606 Yonge.

Dont forget the announcement of the contract for the revitalization of Union Station, and the go-ahead of two future architectural marvels... HK-Hotels Ex project and GGs Parkside, oh yeah the announcement of the preservation of the Canada Malting silos. Its all good.:)

And plus the whole Maple Leaf Gardens thing. There have been a few bumps along the road, but so far Toronto has weathered the recession very well, at least with regard to city building. Other cities would do well to maintain the status quo, and things here are actually continuing to progress, although perhaps not as quickly as some would hope.

Not to mention that Success 2 is going ahead (according to an apparently reliable source).

Yeah now if only Toronto can get some transportation groundbreaking for all this madness. Wait a minute..I think Harper and McGuinty are expected to make an announcement regarding cash for the Spadina subway extension up to Vaughan in the upcoming week.:)

Sounds good. Is this development on the north side or south side of St. Joseph? Which buildings are being preserved? I can't seem to figure it out.

^ It's on the southwest corner of Yonge and St. Joseph, extending west along the south side of St. Joseph Street, to St. Nicholas Street. The six properties facing Yonge Street which are included are 606, 608, 610, 612, 616, and 618. Four of these have three storeys, two of them have two storeys. The other properties involved are 5 St. Joseph and 15 St. Nicholas. These latter ones will be torn down.

^ It's on the southwest corner of Yonge and St. Joseph, extending west along the south side of St. Joseph Street, to St. Nicholas Street. The six properties facing Yonge Street which are included are 606, 608, 610, 612, 616, and 618. Four of these have three storeys, two of them have two storeys. The other properties involved are 5 St. Joseph and 15 St. Nicholas. These latter ones will be torn down.

Here are the buildings fronting Yonge Street from summer 2009. If you go back two or three pages in this thread androiduk posted photos of the site on St. Joseph Street and down St. Nicholas Street.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

stjoe.jpg

The project featured in AndroidUK's photo started out life as a Peregrine Hunter built condo (don't remember the name now), but after that firm went under, the project was taken over by the company that built the Jefferson Theatre District (now called the Rosemount Theatre District) apartments, and was opened as a rental building instead. Was it renamed something like Jefferson Uptown? (Has Jefferson gone under too in the US housing crash? I don't have time to check...)

As I recall, 11 St. Joseph was originally proposed to be a residential condominium ... as I-42 notes, Jefferson (operator of extended-stay suites) took over the project and later sold both the St. Joseph site and Jefferson Theatre District to Glen Grove Suites (who continues to operate the both as extended-stay suites)

Yeah now if only Toronto can get some transportation groundbreaking for all this madness. Wait a minute..I think Harper and McGuinty are expected to make an announcement regarding cash for the Spadina subway extension up to Vaughan in the upcoming week.:)

Screw that, we need a downtown relief line, as soon as possible.

from today's Daily Commercial News, so posted with the usual warning....

CONDOMINIUM BUILDING, RETAIL Proj: 9114748-1

Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANNING

606-618 Yonge St, 5-9 St Joseph St, 11-19, 25 St Nicholas St, M5V
$50,000,000 est

Note: Owner is finalizing site plan approvals. Marketing is expected to begin early Summer, 2010. Schedules for Working drawings, tender for Sub trades and construction will be finalized pending sales. Further update Summer, 2010.

Project: proposed construction of a 45-storey glass and steel condominium apartment building with 412 units. The project will be built above three existing brick-clad heritage buildings at 11 Saint Joseph St and 9-25 Saint Nicholas St, these will be redeveloped for approximately 30,000 sq ft of retail and amenity space.
Scope: 470,000 square feet; 45 storeys; 1 storey below grade; 4 structures; 412 units; 1 acres
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

I'm super excited to see the marketing for this tower.

How often do we get a tower/large project on Yonge Street (well, basically)? And this tower is something different. Hariri Pontarini did an awesome job and the way it is set back and integrates the older Yonge Street buildings-- I really really hope this project gets constructed as it will set a wonderful precedent for Yonge Street.

Back