Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

This is great news, I really look forward to this project moving ahead.

Facade retention is not good enough. Toronto's not some backlot at MGM.

it's not just facade retention according to the article and other stuff i've read:

Plans to build a 45-storey tower on top of the historic Rawlinson Cartage Buildings at St. Joseph Street and Yonge Street got the go-ahead from the Toronto and East York Community Council this week.
The project, by Joyonge Developments Corporation, is an attempt to, as delicately as possible, insert the mixed-use commercial and residential tower on top of and set back from historic buildings on both St. Joseph and Yonge streets.

John Anderson, president of the Historic Yonge Street Small Business Association, came to praise it, citing the plan's sensitivity to the existing Yonge Street facades and the setbacks.

"We are worried that our neighbourhood will become a dense canyon filled with tall buildings that block out light, create wind tunnels, result in perpetual traffic jams and make it impossible for us to do business," he said. "What we're looking at here today I feel is a template for other possible developments on Yonge Street, where we can maintain the historic nature on Yonge Street and still accommodate the great need for intensification."

Steve Diamond, who spoke representing the developer, maintained the community had been well-consulted and the project was a good one.

"What you have before you is going to set a new standard in terms of heritage preservation," he said. "We've gone out of our way to not only do facade retention on these buildings, but they'll be fully restored."

here's a good pic of the site, courtesy of smuncky from the Murano thread ...

IMG_0395.jpg

Last edited:
Those of you who are fans of this proposal and how it treats Yonge Street (like myself) will be glad to know that the Downtown Yonge BIA is pretty much using this as their preferred model of development along Yonge Street. This project is just outside the BIA, but it's what's being used as an example of how to manage development along Yonge Street in the BIA.

Last edited:
from today's Globe....

JENNIFER LEWINGTON

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published on Tuesday, Dec. 01, 2009 12:00AM EST

Last updated on Tuesday, Dec. 01, 2009 3:37AM EST

YONGE ST. CONDO PLANS WIN FANS

CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Yonge Street merchant Mark Citron was all set to fight a proposed 45-storey condo that would loom above his family's third-generation clothing store, Cat's Cradle, on a historic stretch of Toronto's main street.

Then he heard what the developer had in mind at Yonge and St. Joseph streets: restoration of 19th-century heritage buildings on the half-acre site, not just retention of the facades as often happens on such projects.

"When I found out how they are restoring the buildings, they kind of got me over," said Mr. Citron, though he's still a little uneasy over the height of the condo.

Yesterday, without debate, city council approved the $100-million project that, despite some resident opposition, has support from others as a hopeful sign for the future regeneration of the city's most important street.

"Toronto is not a world-class city without a world-class Main Street," said Mr. Citron, who with his partners has refurbished his own heritage building and wants the city to do more to protect its architectural history. "This is our Main Street."

The large scale of the project, spread over a half-city block at Yonge and St. Joseph, gave the developer, Diamondcorp, unusual flexibility to assemble key pieces in creative ways that appealed to city officials.

For example, the 45-storey tower is set back from streets on three sides, including 30 metres from Yonge to protect its pedestrian-friendly character.

The restored historic commercial buildings, including the vacant Rawlinson Warehouse most recently used as an after-hours club, will be turned into retail and office space, as well as some live-work units.

In the end, the city gave rezoning approval to put up a tall tower with 412 residential units and 2,800 square metres of commercial/retail space, with occupancy by 2012. The project received unanimous endorsement from the Toronto Preservation Board.

"Their reinvestment in the heritage of Yonge Street is unparalleled for a major developer and the tower makes it possible for that reinvestment to occur," said local Councillor Kyle Rae (Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale).

But some in the neighbourhood are not happy.

"This is the second shoe to drop," said Paul Farrelly, a member of the Bay Corridor Community Association, whose members unsuccessfully fought a 28-storey condo about a block to the north and appeared at Toronto and East York community council to question an even taller tower.

Mr. Farrelly says there has been too little consultation with area residents, beyond one required community meeting in advance of approval from city hall. "The developer is having it all his own way," he said.

Standing at the corner of Yonge and St. Joseph, developer Stephen Diamond, president of Diamondcorp., describes his plans to refurbish a row of heritage buildings, whose original red brick has been obscured by paint and gaudy modern signage.

"This part of Yonge Street needs a bit of a lift," he said. But he says other projects under way, including a 80-storey tower at Yonge and Bloor and a recently approved 28-storey condo several blocks north off Yonge, should add momentum to renewal of a major artery.

Among those hopeful of what's to come is James Robison, executive director of the Downtown Yonge business improvement area, which represents retail interests south of Mr. Diamond's project.

"It's a critical project and a model development on Yonge Street," he said.

"Too little consultation with area residents?"
If they consulted any longer, the project would never have a chance of happening!

I hope this is the model for Yonge Street too.... towers set back, heritage facades kept down out front (when the buildings are of historical significance), perhaps someday wider sidewalks on Yonge.

:)

I wonder how well this one will sell. If the prices are right I could see it selling out almost immediately. I know I'd rather live here than at X2.

I live about a block from this project, and it will be a welcome addition. Any investment to spruce up that area of Yonge/St. Nicholas will be very positive.

In terms of pricing, etc, I noticed in the Staff Report that the 317 of the 400 or so units are termed "one bedroom" with only ninety as "two bedroom"...that ratio usually suggests it won't be a luxury type building, but rather more basic - though with the location the prices will still be steep.

I've been in the rental building right next to it - lovely on the outside, with beautiful common areas. The hallways and units themselves, though, are rather dingy and cheaply finished.

I live about a block from this project, and it will be a welcome addition. Any investment to spruce up that area of Yonge/St. Nicholas will be very positive.

In terms of pricing, etc, I noticed in the Staff Report that the 317 of the 400 or so units are termed "one bedroom" with only ninety as "two bedroom"...that ratio usually suggests it won't be a luxury type building, but rather more basic - though with the location the prices will still be steep.

I've been in the rental building right next to it - lovely on the outside, with beautiful common areas. The hallways and units themselves, though, are rather dingy and cheaply finished.

just curious, is the rental building by the same builder? if not, then i'm sure the interior finishes will be better (i hope..hehe), since it is not a rental building (or will it?)

what rental building? i thought everything around there was condos except for the SE corner of Bay/Wellesley?

Back