Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

4152652507_b19f7ffeb9_b.jpg

4152627877_a88abdb6bb_o.jpg

Please stop insulting our intelligence with the white-balance argument.

There is no doubt the white balance is off on a Blackberry photo quickly snapped through an office window... The point is IN COMPARISON to the other white objects in the photo, the new panels are distinctly greenish in colour.

This first picture is taken on a sunny day at around noon. (Look at the sun on Bay Street in the top right corner.) Therefore the bluish cast on the tower marble is reflected blue sky lighting. The human eye is capable of negating this blue sky effect and we process out the blue and see objects as white.

Now look at the raised section of the podium on the lower left of the first picture. The marble there is much cleaner and whiter than the tower. Although fairly blueish in colour, we are able to understand the shade of white it represents... However compare that to the new panels on the lower right of the tower....

In comparison they look GREEN

Last edited:
I've looked at the new panels from the ground at King and York and they do have the same greenish tinge as shown in the photos above. I don't know if it's my brain compensating to come up with true colours or if the BB camera is not that bad, but the picture and the Mark One eyeball come up with a similar result.

It may not look that greenish once the entire building is covered, perhaps it just looks a bit green compared to the very white marble.

Please stop insulting our intelligence with the white-balance argument.

There is no doubt the white balance is off on a Blackberry photo quickly snapped through an office window... The point is IN COMPARISON to the other white objects in the photo, the new panels are distinctly greenish in colour.

This first picture is taken on a sunny day at around noon. (Look at the sun on Bay Street in the top right corner.) Therefore the bluish cast on the tower marble is reflected blue sky lighting. The human eye is capable of negating this blue sky effect and we process out the blue and see objects as white.

Now look at the raised section of the podium on the lower left of the first picture. The marble there is much cleaner and whiter than the tower. Although fairly blueish in colour, we are able to understand the shade of white it represents... However compare that to the new panels on the lower right of the tower....

In comparison they look GREEN

It does look greenish.

I hope the discussion of the exact colour of the cladding, which sounds as though it's designed to change with the light conditions, doesn't turn into another obsessive-cumpulsive, princess-and-the-pea whingefest like the saga of the ROM cladding, as persistent as a bad case of herpes, but much less interesting.

^ ditto. From now on, anyone who utters the word green should not be allowed to venture out of Urban Toronto daycare without adult supervision. Even Santa is weary of this obsession, so you better watch out...

Hey! Isn't your avatar GREEN?... OOooopps I said GREEN.... OH NO I said it again!

me and my girly girl just walked by first canadian place and took pictures of the re-clad and for sure the panels are green, ill post pictures tomorrow...

ok hold up, hold up...... i just looked at the photos on my camera...im not home and dont have access to a computer....anyways from the images on my camera they look white.... when i upload them to a computer ill know for sure...in person they did have a greenish tinge...... just had to go back and do a reassesment there...

Well....

It has to be some protective covering that just happens to be greenish in colour. Besides, to the far left you can clearly see very white looking panels installed.

I walked by here this afternoon and the green tinge was quite noticeable. I don't think it is a protective covering because you could see the mirror like finish on the panels. If indeed this is what they propose to use the green tint will be very noticeable when applied to 72 floors:(. It also occurred to me that this glass cladding will, to a degree, act like a mirror to reflect the current sky conditions and like the newer Towers (e.g. Bay Adelaide) could disappear from the skyline under certain lighting conditions:(. If this is the case the Tower will lose much of its impact. What they should have chosen was a similar cladding material with chalk white properties. The cladding material from 1 St. Thomas would have worked well. What also struck me is the fact that you can not see any fritted glass patterns on these panels even at the lowest level of the tower:(. The added expense of fritted glass will be a waste because no one will be close enough to the cladding to appreciate this feature. Fritted Glass would look good on a store front but it cannot be appreciated on a 72 storey tower. I hope its not too late for the building owner and architect to rethink their choice of cladding.

Oh god. So much whining!

First of all, it is most likely test cladding. Second, even if it did have a tinge of green to it, it would actually be less noticeable if the whole building were covered in it, vs. just a portion of it next to white marble.

Why don't we wait for judgement until the actual cladding starts to go up?

That's a lot of what we do here; whine, critique, discuss and demand better. If FCP turns out to be a green tinged monster I'm moving so I don't have to look at it. I can't take any more damned green glass! :)

Back