Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Here's a pic from today. I can confirm that in the lower right corner of FCP they have put up one of the darker panels to test. Also the bright white squares on the left side at the bottom of the building at just new marble panels, not the new glass.

I don't like the size of the new panels. One new panel replaces 8 slabs of marble. It would be nice if the new panels kept the already existing mosaic tile look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic from today. I can confirm that in the lower right corner of FCP they have put up one of the darker panels to test. Also the bright white squares on the left side at the bottom of the building at just new marble panels, not the new glass.

Cool.
Even if the glass is greenish - it's better than it being blah biege or gray.

I think it's safe to say that this is an important enough project by a big enough firm that we aren't going to end up with green glass. Chill. It's WAY too early to know.

Isn't the panels that are "new" only the bronze ones? And the white ones that people are saying are new are just aluminum panels that were already there?

Could the green tinge simply be a protective film over the glass?

I certainly hope not! How environmentally unfriendly! That's enough plastic to wrap a skyscraper LOL Though the artist Christo would be envious.

Could the green tinge simply be a protective film over the glass?

No. Each panel is wrapped in opaque bright blue film, which has been removed in the installed panels in the picture above. If you look to the left of the picture, you can see a panel-sized square covered in blue. That's a wrapped panel.

On the other side, they have a stack of unwrapped panels stacked, and they're clearly greenish-white.

This is going to make my office (fronting Bay directly across FCP) much brighter.

Last edited:
Cladding Description and Colour

On that link above (redefining first) check out the "click for animation" to view a short video which shows the process and colours of the new panel. That video clarifies the colour issue.

yes Ive watched it already! quite interesting!! I hope this help you guys out with some of the confusion on colour!

On that link above (redefining first) check out the "click for animation" to view a short video which shows the process and colours of the new panel. That video clarifies the colour issue.

Really? I think it muddles the issue further...

In the animation the five layers of the new spandrel are various colours and as they come together they change not just once but again as the animation pulls out. It goes from very blue to grey to greenish and then as the animation pulls right back to show the tower, it is very white.

I realize this is only CGI, but watch it carefully and after the panel is back on the tower the colour shifts dramatically.

Last edited:
I certainly hope not! How environmentally unfriendly! That's enough plastic to wrap a skyscraper LOL

Considering how much plastic gets used in the city on a daily basis I can't see this amounting to much. More plastic gets used wrapping bread each day.

The white balance is off in that earlier photo. All of the tiles, including the existing ones are completely off colour. No point in getting all worked up over the colours, esp. considering that the photo isn't presenting the true colours of any of the tiles.

Back