Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

^ bear in mind (due respect Ed) the rendering section is pretty much a bust. No-one goes there,

Don't want to discourage 'cause I love models and they are not only great eye candy but they are (unlike bad renders)... 3 Dimensional.

That sounds kinda like 3Dementia, but ignore it.

Some people do go there. Problem is it isn't complete and I have no time to work on it. Project end check your pm.

P.S. is it me or is the TIFF/Bell podium twice the size that the renders suggested? It's.... big.

In all seriousness, the model does make it feel larger - maybe some of the vertical was inadvertically removed when the renders were scaled.

Essentially the podium of Lightbox is 5 double-height floors: We'll have an articulated but reasonably windowless 10 floor high building here, and it will impose...

but in a good way I think.

^ bear in mind (due respect Ed) the rendering section is pretty much a bust. No-one goes there,

Don't want to discourage 'cause I love models and they are not only great eye candy but they are (unlike bad renders)... 3 Dimensional.

That sounds kinda like 3Dementia, but ignore it.

I agree. I don't think a forum this size (although growing) needs a dozen partially deserted subforums where the most recent replies are 4+ weeks old. That discourages people from posting threads, so it becomes a cycle of forum sprawl. It should be built like a city; concentrate density in the most popular forums until they reach critical mass, then expand to topic-specific subforums. :)

The parking levels were built incredibly fast. I hope we see that kind of progress over spring and summer. I wonder if we'll start to see some tower by fall?

The podium building looks like it will match, and extend, the visual mass of those buildings on the north side of King that extend westwards from Simcoe Street, and fit in quite nicely.

P.S. is it me or is the TIFF/Bell podium twice the size that the renders suggested? It's.... big.

I got that impression too and it made me think that it's a shame the TIFF tower isn't another 10 or so floors higher for better scale.

I would be glad to spend a summer (paid of course) updating the extensive wooden model of Toronto which lies (quite unfortunately) all but discarded in the front foyer of City Hall. This way the model could function as a sort of 'living render' (a la Maldive) of what the city will look like. The completed buildings could be fashioned out of small pieces of discarded wood (keepin' it green!) while the proposed/under construction buildings would take on a more opaque look to help distinguish them.
You mean something like they have at the nla in London?
nla_interior.jpg

http://www.newlondonarchitecture.org/index.php
I love that model.

Did anyone know the TIFF was taking over the English Pub next to it? Currently being used for construction offices.

Duke of Argyle? Yeah, there's a big Daniels sign on the north side of the building. I wonder if they kept the taps?

That Fox & Fiddle bar at the intersection will eventually be moved right next to the Duke for a condo going up on that corner.

Could we make the model section a sticky in the projects & construction section? I and I am sure a lot of others would look at it more there much like Canuck's threads.

I always thought it would be cool to have all the models collected after the various sales centres close and put them in one place recreating the city, assuming they were the same scale. I would love to work at the place that makes all of them. It would be like assembling model cars like when I was a kid, but a lot more interesting and fun.

As for TIFF, I walked by today and ~85% is at ground level with only the west end of the site open to the first underground level. One or two columns have been poured above ground at the east end.

You mean like the model Mississauga has and is constantly updated as new proposals come in?

You mean like the model Mississauga has and is constantly updated as new proposals come in?

I'm not too familiar with the Mississauga one so I don't know the size and scale of the buildings. What I'm talking about is a recreated city with the actual models built for the sales offices. These can be a couple feet tall for each one. A very large warehouse would be needed to house them all once a lot of them are set up with proper road widths. Maybe add some model railroad tracks and run GO trains throughout it.

Duke of Argyle? Yeah, there's a big Daniels sign on the north side of the building. I wonder if they kept the taps?

That Fox & Fiddle bar at the intersection will eventually be moved right next to the Duke for a condo going up on that corner.

I see that others were aware, just noticed this myself last week when I wandered by.

Back