Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

thanks Current for all your hard work of getting pics up for us today! This crew really looks like they've got their act together now, picking up speed!

as for changing views, I am interested to see if the Holiday Inn looks any better with the TIFF tower beside it instead of just empty space...

A discussion about the Holiday Inn's switchover to the Hyatt brand foliowed, and that has now been moved to a new thread here.

Model Pictures

Model Pictures

2414227071_fb42883bdb.jpg

2415051064_978bcae715.jpg

2414225413_e1d04d3708_b.jpg

2415049432_f66b66a024.jpg

2415048576_0f15e93123.jpg

2414222971_7d392fceb8.jpg

2414222171_de780ced9c.jpg

2414220549_4ccf9627e9.jpg

2414219739_090a664850.jpg

2414218159_5532c6027d.jpg

2414217413_d3b18616db.jpg

TIFF can bank on record $11 million from RBC TheStar.com - entertainment - TIFF can bank on record $11 million from RBC
April 16, 2008
Martin Knelman

It has been an unnervingly long time since the Toronto International Film Festival Group has made a major funding announcement about big cheques for Bell Lightbox, coming soon to a former parking lot near you, at the corner of King and John Sts.

But get ready for a big one. That Lightbox is about to get a jolt from the Royal Bank of Canada. According to my spies, its deal with the TIFF Group commits RBC to $11 million over a 10-year period.

That ranks as the largest amount any single bank has put into any one Toronto arts building. But it escalates what has become a fascinating trend over the last six years as banks increasingly become major players in the cultural world.

"There's nothing to announce," Piers Handling, CEO of the TIFF Group, said when apprehended on a downtown street yesterday. "No deal has been signed."

Perhaps, but the terms have been approved, with only fine-tuning of details remaining to be settled.

Certainly the deal is a breakthrough, but the cineastes still have a long way to go before they can declare victory. Even with this mega gift, TIFF's $196 million campaign (which includes operating costs and an endowment fund) is at least $40 million short of its target.

Finding the money has not been as smooth a process as festival folk imagined when they entered into a partnership five years ago with the family of Ivan Reitman (which owned the parking lot) and the Daniels Group, the developer.

And Lightbox – joined to a huge condo complex – won't be ready until 2010, four years later than originally announced.

Luckily there is one group that can be counted on for its deep pockets and taste for art: our friendly bankers. So forget the outrageous interest fees they're charging you. We need them.

TIFF is not the only group that has counted heavily on banks to fund its projects. RBC has also given $1.25 million to expansion projects at the Art Gallery of Ontario and the Royal Ontario Museum, as well as $1 million to help the Canadian Opera Company build the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, and $500,000 for the National Ballet School's new digs.

The opera house also got seven-figure cheques from CIBC, Scotiabank and TD Canada Trust. The Bank of Montreal gave $625,000 for the building and another $1 million to cover the gala opening celebrations.

TD not only contributed to the opera house but also gave $1 million to each of the ROM, the National Ballet School and the AGO.

The ROM got $5.7 million from banks, including $2 million from CIBC as well as big cheques from TD, RBC and Scotiabank.

The AGO picked up seven-figure cheques not only from RBC and TD but also from BMO, CIBC and Scotiabank. And oh yes, TIFF received $1 million from CIBC.

Scotiabank has emphasized programming by sponsoring both the Giller Prize and Nuit Blanche. But perhaps the biggest profile it gained was its deal with Cineplex for rights to rename what used to be the Paramount movie theatre on Richmond St. W.

So why do banks write big cheques for art? Well, they make huge amounts of money. They are domestic players, not foreigners, and need to be seen as generous and public-spirited. And of course, they love to entertain top clients at glitzy parties attended by stars.

Meanwhile, while we're waiting for Bell Lightbox, we can turn our attention to the 2008 film festival. TIFF has renewed its contract with Roy Thomson Hall for five more years (through 2012) and expanded the number of screens it will use to 30. The big change is the use of 10 screens at the new AMC complex at Dundas and Yonge.

Farewell Yorkville; we're drifting south.

mknelman@thestar.ca

great pics once agian - I am way too scared to go into any of the sales offices. Maybe its because I have the word "broke" painted across my forehead...

well, maybe we can just call this one Four Seasons Lite? Of course the podium / light box section looks great, but other than the roof elements, the tower is just a standard box. I guess the fact of boxes making the maximum use of vertical space is why we get so many of them. Should be interesting to see how that big chunky base fits into the neighbourhood... I could easily see this in Yorkville, as the article above states the former focus of the TIFF.

But, but its got those innovative, signature KPMB fins at the top...its ICONIC I tells ya, ICONIC. Or, at least, thats what ol' Brucy K would have you think...

I almost feel like setting up a section just for the models. Thanks for the pictures.

I always thought it would be cool to have all the models collected after the various sales centres close and put them in one place recreating the city, assuming they were the same scale. I would love to work at the place that makes all of them. It would be like assembling model cars like when I was a kid, but a lot more interesting and fun.

As for TIFF, I walked by today and ~85% is at ground level with only the west end of the site open to the first underground level. One or two columns have been poured above ground at the east end.

I would be glad to spend a summer (paid of course) updating the extensive wooden model of Toronto which lies (quite unfortunately) all but discarded in the front foyer of City Hall. This way the model could function as a sort of 'living render' (a la Maldive) of what the city will look like. The completed buildings could be fashioned out of small pieces of discarded wood (keepin' it green!) while the proposed/under construction buildings would take on a more opaque look to help distinguish them.

On another, more realistic, note...

Ed, I think a Models page is necessary. It could be set up similarly to the 400+ thread with each project hyperlinked to a separate page. My one suggestion would be that it include not only models, but renders and schematics too - just no pictures of the actual building:p. I would be happy to help set this up in any way I can, so PM me if this is at all possible.

^ bear in mind (due respect Ed) the rendering section is pretty much a bust. No-one goes there,

Don't want to discourage 'cause I love models and they are not only great eye candy but they are (unlike bad renders)... 3 Dimensional.

That sounds kinda like 3Dementia, but ignore it.

P.S. is it me or is the TIFF/Bell podium twice the size that the renders suggested? It's.... big.

Depends on how big your monitor is 3D.

:)

The podium floors are basically all double height floors. Bear in mind that there will be the 5 or 6 cinema rooms going in that would require higher ceilings. The base does seem a bit bulky, but I still like it

Back