Toronto Exhibit Residences | 99.97m | 32s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

I have to say that these buildings, while they did host a variety of uses and did possess a certain energy, will not be missed. I am not exactly a chic shiny upper scale fanatic, but these buildings were always a source of shame and embarrassment when I would take people to visit the ROM. They do not fit the area, and exhibit should be a fine piece of contemporary architecture that fits perfectly in a Toronto aesthetic. If only a McDonalds is left over that would be a shame (are there any other commercial units at all?), but the quality and form of the previous architecture left something to be desired. This is a fantastic place for a contemporary high rise. Looking very much forward to the juxtaposition of the stacked boxes with the ROM crystal.

I agree with this sentiment. As an undergrad I really appreciated the grunginess of this strip (and could often be found in the Pita Pit or the Bedford Ballroom). It felt like a beachhead into haughty Yorkville. Since those days the renovations of the ROM and the Royal Conservatory have really made this stretch a little gem unto itself. Now that one side of the street is thoughtfully designed, maintained and programmed and the other side if still somewhat shabby, the street has almost taken on an "unfinished" look. I love the chaotic Yonge/Queen West vibe, but it doesn't work here anymore. The street almost clashes with itself. I think the design of Exhibit will go a long way to unifying this stretch by playing off the ROM, much in the same way that the Sheraton plays of Nathan Phillips Square.

30 January 2013: Is McD's gonna open a temporary restaurant nearby soon? I had a massive Big Mac (is that an Apple product?!) craving when I walked by today.

20130130142306.jpg

(Lotsa demolition 'round back.)

Maybe the street is a little shabby looking but historically it had life with its mishmash of restaurants/fast food joints/ pubs that catered to the university crowd and ROM goers. I just hope that the new condos don't kill life on the street - having a dentist's office open under Museum House isn't a good sign.

I miss the mishmash too. Thank goodness at least McDonalds is going back in. The families going to the ROM with their kids need it, UofT students need it. Replacing all of the former restaurants from the stretch of Bloor where One Bedford now stands with a BMO and a Shoppers was a major blow to the street in my estimation.

I miss the mishmash too. Thank goodness at least McDonalds is going back in. The families going to the ROM with their kids need it, UofT students need it. Replacing all of the former restaurants from the stretch of Bloor where One Bedford now stands with a BMO and a Shoppers was a major blow to the street in my estimation.

As bad as a McDonalds usually is, I couldn't agree with the above post more. I have some very fond memories from the early 90's of school field trips to the ROM, complete with a McDonalds lunch (which is a pretty big deal when you're a kid). Plus with all the U of T students in the neighbourhood, cheap food served quickly is very important - even if it is poison. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some of the students will miss Pho Hung.

From my POV, Pho Hung on that strip is the biggest loss owing to Exhibit.

That (and my above post) said, if Exhibit looks anything like the renderings, Bloor will be improved immeasurably.

Agreed.

I attended the public consultation meetings on this and spoke about the losses of these businesses on Bloor and the loss of diversity and need for a variety of retail. Initially, Exhibit was only going to have one retail space. Now I believe it will have two.

I still miss the Harvey's and Crepes a GoGo that used to stand where One Bedford is now. A shame they were replaced by such generic uniformed condo staples at grade. Considering the amount of diversity of retail spaces that Exhibit is replacing, they should have featured a larger retail component in the new building. A multi-level retail concept could have been explored. Restaurants can thrive at above grade levels, given that they are well layout and have reasonable exposure. Many popular downtown spots (ie. DonDon Izakaya, Salad King, Milestones/Jack Astors/Spring sushi @ Metropolis, many others in Yorkville) are proof. It's usually clothing and accessory shops that command a more prominent street presence. McDonald's has automatic recognition so they should have no trouble operating at any level. I've even seen bustling McDonald's (and other fast food) restaurants below grade in Hong Kong.

I've even seen bustling McDonald's (and other fast food) restaurants below grade in Hong Kong.

You don't have to go to Hong Kong to see a bustling below grade McDonalds. The one at Union Station is obscenely busy during rush hour.

Back