Toronto Exhibit Residences | 99.97m | 32s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

I couldn't disagree with the above McDonalds worship more. No one "needs" McDonalds. It's always been a hideous stain on this area, with its tacky, corporate, local-business-undermining, suburban stench. It's unbelievable that it's so powerful as to survive a condominium construction. For ten years now, since I first moved to Toronto to go to U of T, I resented its existence, and now it seems invincible. Don't the future residents mind? Doesn't this completely destroy the condominium's first few floors? Living above a McDonald's would be a nightmare for me even in a hotel, let alone long-term in a condominium I spent so much money on. I honestly can't fathom how and why this is being retained.

Having a McDonalds there was part of the deal with Bazis from go, I don't care for the brand either but it sure draws people in and is entirely appropriate across from the ROM. That there are only two retail spaces is a real shame, as suggested on the previous page this block just had it's sack cut off but the sterilization of downtown is the way forward it seems. Sad to see Gabby's gone too, that space was our watering hole after work for many years, lots of great memories over draft in there.

I couldn't disagree with the above McDonalds worship more. No one "needs" McDonalds. It's always been a hideous stain on this area, with its tacky, corporate, local-business-undermining, suburban stench. It's unbelievable that it's so powerful as to survive a condominium construction. For ten years now, since I first moved to Toronto to go to U of T, I resented its existence, and now it seems invincible. Don't the future residents mind? Doesn't this completely destroy the condominium's first few floors? Living above a McDonald's would be a nightmare for me even in a hotel, let alone long-term in a condominium I spent so much money on. I honestly can't fathom how and why this is being retained.

I don't mind this McDonald's at the base of "the Mack" on West Broadway in Vancouver. The building meets the street well, has a great 2-storey glass entrance in the restaurant at the corner. For most of the day it is fairly busy, and with the nice glass windows, the customers inside bring some added animation out to the street, almost a performance with people eating, conversing, and balancing their trays. McDonald's is no different than any other restaurants with apartments above. Since they are fully capable of building urban, attractive, pedestrian-friendly locations elsewhere, I can't fathom how they couldn't build an equally attractive location across from the ROM.

For thirteen years now, since I first moved to Toronto to go to U of T, I've plunked myself in this McDonald's with hundreds of thousands of others, and grown, if not healthier, than probably happier. I sat on the upper floor and watched the ROM take shape from rubble to girders to crystals; I've sat in the basement and sobered up. It's a local landmark, an engaging public space that happens to be owned by a giant transnational. I'm actively sad that it's gone.

I don't, however, resent the existence of those who resent its existence; the fulmination comes with the university and has always been part of its charm. (Though I can only imagine that avoiding the living nightmare of staying in a hotel with a McDonalds in the base must be a pretty draining way to go through life.) As for the people who live above, I expect that unless they're pumping deep-fryer exhaust through the air vents, they'll manage to come to terms with it somehow. And if they did, some among us might even like it more.

The people living there won't notice the smell after 6 months or less.

When I moved to Toronto from a pretty rural area I thought a good chuck of it often smelled pretty terrible. Now I think it's great.

its to bad they couldnt put more of an extreme engle or twist to this but still nice looking then what is currently there

I'm with arvelo on this one.

It's hard to feel sympathetic for the loss of a multinational multi-billion dollar restaurant chain whose business was to purvey nutrient-deficient, unsustainably-harvested and labour exploitive junk food and that got away with the sweetest rent deal of the century.

So some U of T students who will be out of there in 2 years have to walk an additional five minutes to eat a Quarter Pounder. Oh noes!

One down, two to go.

exhibitf10.jpg

Last edited:
Peering into the bowels of McDonald's.

SDC13033.jpg

A temporary view of ROM.

SDC13035.jpg

Attachments

• SDC13033.jpg
    SDC13033.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 462
  • SDC13035.jpg