Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Here's hoping for some decent "sui gow min".

Darn northerners,...... us southern chinese like straight up Wonton noodle soup!

For northern chinese cuisine,.... Tian Xin Place just north of WorldOnYonge has good Xiao Long Bao (steamed pork dumplings)

Apparently the PVC tubing that are being installed all over the retail floor is not for the metro. They are instead for the first floor units who requested water. Builder was in a hurry to hand over units so they completed the ceiling without installing the PVC tubing. So now after figuring out which unit wants water they are just opening or cutting open the ceiling and installing the tubes. Looks awkward. You have open ceiling everywhere and some units have a sudden PVC pipe running down from a hole in the main ceiling.

So what happens if a unit wants water in the future? Do they then need to cut out the ceiling again?

So what happens if a unit wants water in the future? Do they then need to cut out the ceiling again?

Most likely. More interesting is how they will add the sewage as you will likely have to drill through the concrete floor (very expensive).

Most likely. More interesting is how they will add the sewage as you will likely have to drill through the concrete floor (very expensive).

Maybe EmeraldPark developer-builder expects all these first floor retail store owners to use plastic pails and line up to empty them at the one washroom available on the first floor retail level,.... some of these EmeraldPark stores will have to hire little kids from third world countries to carry plastic pails of water back and forth!

Further up Yonge Street at the Tridel development at the northeast corner of Yonge & Churchill/Church street (where the Metro is in the back),.... they also have numerous of these PacificMall type cubicle retail space,.... their's are constantly changing - constant retail turnover,... in any given year, it seems half of those stores will be gone and replace with a different store. If that constant retail turnover were to happen at EmeraldPark as well, then a specific cubicle retail space could be hosting a clothing alteration business now but soon it'll be eye-glass store next year, or hair cutting place,.. err,... I mean beauty salon! or fast food or restaurant,.... businesses that would actually need water supply and drainage. Which ensures there will be constant plumbing upgrade renovation,...

Obviously, what should have happened was the developer-builder should have built water supply and drainage into each of the retail units during the initial construction and hid them behind an access door in the drywall. This problem is another example of EmeraldPark developer-builder cutting corners,... running water supply and drainage pipes during construction would have been much easier, cheaper, more convenient for everyone and resulted in a better looking retail space,... now EmeraldPark first floor retail level will have ugly grey plastic water pipes hanging from the white ceiling and walls,....

BTW,... notice I didn't use the PacificMall type cubicle stores at Aura or WorldOnYonge as examples of constant retail turnover,... since they need to actually have retail tenants first in order for them to turnover!!! ;p

Maybe EmeraldPark developer-builder expects all these first floor retail store owners to use plastic pails and line up to empty them at the one washroom available on the first floor retail level,.... some of these EmeraldPark stores will have to hire little kids from third world countries to carry plastic pails of water back and forth!

Further up Yonge Street at the Tridel development at the northeast corner of Yonge & Churchill/Church street (where the Metro is in the back),.... they also have numerous of these PacificMall type cubicle retail space,.... their's are constantly changing - constant retail turnover,... in any given year, it seems half of those stores will be gone and replace with a different store. If that constant retail turnover were to happen at EmeraldPark as well, then a specific cubicle retail space could be hosting a clothing alteration business now but soon it'll be eye-glass store next year, or hair cutting place,.. err,... I mean beauty salon! or fast food or restaurant,.... businesses that would actually need water supply and drainage. Which ensures there will be constant plumbing upgrade renovation,...

Obviously, what should have happened was the developer-builder should have built water supply and drainage into each of the retail units during the initial construction and hid them behind an access door in the drywall. This problem is another example of EmeraldPark developer-builder cutting corners,... running water supply and drainage pipes during construction would have been much easier, cheaper, more convenient for everyone and resulted in a better looking retail space,... now EmeraldPark first floor retail level will have ugly grey plastic water pipes hanging from the white ceiling and walls,....

BTW,... notice I didn't use the PacificMall type cubicle stores at Aura or WorldOnYonge as examples of constant retail turnover,... since they need to actually have retail tenants first in order for them to turnover!!! ;p

I find the pacific mall retail units at the Tridel development do pretty darn well compared to anything else; While I agree there is high turnover, some units have been around for a while and typically there is very little vacancy, there must be over 50 retail spots in the 4 - 6 buildings that make up the development. So I'd call that a success. Also (you mentioned this too) it's not dry cleaner after dry cleaner, a lot of small restaurants, computer, clothing stores.

I find the pacific mall retail units at the Tridel development do pretty darn well compared to anything else; While I agree there is high turnover, some units have been around for a while and typically there is very little vacancy, there must be over 50 retail spots in the 4 - 6 buildings that make up the development. So I'd call that a success. Also (you mentioned this too) it's not dry cleaner after dry cleaner, a lot of small restaurants, computer, clothing stores.

Generally, the one that are more ethnic with specialty food items will do better,.....

The PacificMall type cubicle retail stores at the Tridel Development northeast of Yonge & Churchill/Church all have their own water supply and drain like everyone else in the civilized world. So whenever a business turnover there then they don't have to tear up the place putting in basic infrastructure for water.

At EmeraldPark first floor retail space maybe 20 of the 75 PacificMall type cubicle retail space will have water supply and drainage added by their initial retail business owners. After that whenever there's a retail turnover of the stores without water supply/drainage to one requiring water supply/drainage, the mall ceiling and floors will need to basically be torn up everytime. This is terrible planning by the developer-designer-builder.

Imagine buying a new car,.... whenever you add factory-dealer options like security alarms, fog-lights, upgraded stereo-speaker system, navigator, power windows/door-locks/mirrors, etc,... they don't and shouldn't have to tear up the entire car just to add in the new wirings and simple infrastructure required for those options,.... they should already be there place by the factory through the firewall, under dash, through door, etc,... so that the dealer just needs to add the various modules, fuses and switches onto the existing wiring,.... see simple!

Speaking of that Tridel development a "Miss Durian" is coming soon. I am assuming this to be a specialty dessert parlor themed on the notorious Durian fruit. That one I think will do extremely well. Nothing like that in Canada at the moment. Went to a similar Durian dedicated dessert cafe in Hong Kong and the place was busy as hell. The tridel stores on Yonge frontage however seem to experience a lot of turnover which I think is due to the landlord charging very high rent since he is confident he can quickly find a better tenant if the current one fails.

Some retail units today got a copper pipe installed for which I think is natural gas.

Pacific Mall does not have the pipes running down from the ceiling. Since the Condo water comes from all the way up at the penthouse level they have to run the pipes from the ceiling down to the level of the sink which in some cases end up obscuring a lot of wall space if the wall is concrete and the pipe cannot be hidden in it. Some go into the drywall a little from the ceiling then makes a right angle out the wall which looks a lot better but eventually it will have to be extended all the way to the level of the sink. I am excited to see how the tenants will disguise these huge tubes, disguising the electrical panel is challenging enough. Hopefully they paint them white or something so they look like pillars. If not the mall looks pretty cheap.

BTW TMG is not at fault for this it is the builder.

Speaking of that Tridel development a "Miss Durian" is coming soon. I am assuming this to be a specialty dessert parlor themed on the notorious Durian fruit. That one I think will do extremely well. Nothing like that in Canada at the moment. Went to a similar Durian dedicated dessert cafe in Hong Kong and the place was busy as hell. The tridel stores on Yonge frontage however seem to experience a lot of turnover which I think is due to the landlord charging very high rent since he is confident he can quickly find a better tenant if the current one fails.

Some retail units today got a copper pipe installed for which I think is natural gas.

Pacific Mall does not have the pipes running down from the ceiling. Since the Condo water comes from all the way up at the penthouse level they have to run the pipes from the ceiling down to the level of the sink which in some cases end up obscuring a lot of wall space if the wall is concrete and the pipe cannot be hidden in it. Some go into the drywall a little from the ceiling then makes a right angle out the wall which looks a lot better but eventually it will have to be extended all the way to the level of the sink. I am excited to see how the tenants will disguise these huge tubes, disguising the electrical panel is challenging enough. Hopefully they paint them white or something so they look like pillars. If not the mall looks pretty cheap.

BTW TMG is not at fault for this it is the builder.

Retail stores should be able to paint the pipe whatever colour they want in their store,... but where does their store ends?,...height-wise from a property point of view. I'm thinking it's probably where the lower set of these cubicle retail store wall ends - usually around 9 feet off the floor,... but that means the rest of the pipe going to the ceiling would be mall property - which means the retail store tenant wouldn't be allowed to touch. But it's the retail tenant that paid for these pipes,....

Huh,... you think "Miss Duran" will do well?,... I hear Miss Duran "really stinks"! ;p

To most people its going to be very stinky. If you keep a fresh durian in a room for a week you will need a cleaning crew to get the smell out. However to lucky people like me and some asians that tend to come from tropical climates it tastes better than chocolate. They say it's a special gene that allows some to not mind the smell. That area however is very Korean but I'm sure the chinese/thai will commute and drive there since...well it tastes better than chocolate! I know I will. I used to get my fix at a local vietnamese place but they stopped serving it since it was actually making customers leave the restaurant due to the smell.

If they leave the pipe painting up to the tenants its going to be a huge disaster. You are going to have people accidentally painting the ceiling and some might not even see a tenant for a few years. And you might not even be able to paint it due to the law.

Good news. They are going to put drywall around the pipes making them look like pillars.

The eye-wear store will start tiling soon.

Timmies has taken 3 of the Yonge frontage units.

Edit: That foodcourt unit that I said was going to be Chinese is actually going to be Mexican food.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

There is now activity over at the church. A delivery of beams have arrived.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 833
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 863
Bazis says subway will be open late Spring. Metro & LCBO opening early Summer. Final closing letters going out in 10 days for commercial. Fingers crossed.

Bazis says subway will be open late Spring. Metro & LCBO opening early Summer.

Did Bazis mention this year or next year??? ;p

LCBO just needs stock to open but it's Metro that'll operate it and issues with Metro staying or renting or bailing,..... LCBO site list store opening 3 months or so in advance,.... nothing about EmeraldPark,....
http://www.doingbusinesswithlcbo.com/shared/storeopenings/FutureStoresMap.shtml

EmeraldPark supermarket space for Metro or whoever is still just a shell,.... will need about 6 months of work to put in any supermarket.

EmeraldPark subway entrance been stalled for months,.... southeast corner of P2 parking level will be one of EmeraldPark residents access to TTC subway entrance and currently staging area for pedestrian tunnel construction work,.... cement tunnel done long ago but material for tiles and floor prep-work just sitting there for months collecting dust,.... they're stalled on something - either building permit or inspection issues,.... then TTC takes forever for their final inspection which adds another 6 months or so,..... I'd say closer to Feb 2017.

BTW, the signage at Sheppard-Yonge Poyntz entrance saying Poyntz-EmeraldPark entrance should be opened by Feb 2016 were taken down and not replaced,.... meaning TTC don't have a clue either,....

IMG_7024.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7024.JPG
    IMG_7024.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 32,494

Back