Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

the tunnel for the extension is already half-completed!

Quite a bit over halfway by now:

Screenshot_20230718-193512.png

We slowed down a bit, I believe waiting for the headwalls on the emergency exit building between Kipling and Islington to be built ahead of TBM arrival.

Deep station excavations are another story.
AIUI the problem at Eglinton and Yonge is that we did not go deep enough, with the Crosstown's ceiling being at risk due a lack of overhead mass before the floor of the Yonge subway. When in doubt go deeper?

AIUI the problem at Eglinton and Yonge is that we did not go deep enough, with the Crosstown's ceiling being at risk due a lack of overhead mass before the floor of the Yonge subway. When in doubt go deeper?

No such issue is going to be present in the Crosstown west extension as there are no interchange stations to deal with. Even with Eglinton, it's not like the technology for underpinning on existing stations is a brand new technology. It's been done hundreds or thousands of times all over the world. If Eglinton station is having such issues, then it's Metrolinx and the contractor making mistakes and having bad planning. Going deeper is a really silly solution to such issues. It increases time for transfers between the lines for every single passenger that goes to that station. Root cause of Eglinton station is bad planning during construction - corrective action is better planning. Not drastically change the design to avoid the situation altogether!

Kinda. IMO, the problem was the presumption in the timeline that there would be no complications AND starting Yonge station last. While construction of most stations needed to wait for TBMs to pass through first, that wasn't a concern for either of the interchange stations as the TBM did not travel through those locations.

The lesson could have been to start construction on complicated interchange stations a few years early, with a presumption of difficulties, under a separate contract from the "easier" stations.

Transfers at Osgoode are going to be painful, and it's an obvious place to transfer for U of T students who might live in places like Liberty Village. 50+ years of terrible transfers (we'll rebuild it eventually) isn't worth opening the line earlier by 18 months.

Last edited:
Scarlett rd & Eglinton West looking 👀 west.

Getting ready for the new portal east of Royal York rd

Attachments

• DB5B7B90-93CC-4165-9763-3D3622B2859C.jpeg
    DB5B7B90-93CC-4165-9763-3D3622B2859C.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 9743D3E3-F7DF-4828-9EA2-D7A493DB5A4F.jpeg
    9743D3E3-F7DF-4828-9EA2-D7A493DB5A4F.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 55
Brah so they pretty told everyone to go f*** themselves. Can we have indoor bike parking, secondary entrances so kids don't have to cross high speed traffic.

Metrolinx. Hears a bike canopy with bike exposed to theft because they will be on the side of the station in a low traffic area. The indoor bike parking takes up too much space.
Oh and ya you gonna cross that road because we don't want to change the design we developed

"Due to space availability and infrastructure constraints, secondary entrances are not feasible at Royal York, Islington, and Kipling stations"

So, at the very least, there should be proper center islands at all of these intersections to improve safety for those pedestrians who can't cross those wide busy streets at a gallop.

- Paul

Brah so they pretty told everyone to go f*** themselves. Can we have indoor bike parking, secondary entrances so kids don't have to cross high speed traffic.

Metrolinx. Hears a bike canopy with bike exposed to theft because they will be on the side of the station in a low traffic area. The indoor bike parking takes up too much space.
Oh and ya you gonna cross that road because we don't want to change the design we developed
It does seem like they decided to build a secondary entrance at NW corner of Martin Grove as that intersection is much more dangerous than the rest of them with aggressive SB to SW turning traffic.

This is the first time I’ve seen Metrolinx use the LA-style station names on a regular line like this (Martin Grove-Eglinton, Kipling-Eglinton, etc.)

I presume that this is just to differentiate them from the Bloor line stations though. I don’t see them renaming Kipling to Kipling-Bloor, at least not anytime soon. Especially after they didn’t bother to rename Eglinton station itself to Eglinton-Yonge, even though in the Toronto context it’s far more needed than here on Eglinton West.

Also, who knows how final the station names are. We’ve had normal names get messed up before being finalized before. I’m looking at Steeles West, particularly.

This is the first time I’ve seen Metrolinx use the LA-style station names on a regular line like this (Martin Grove-Eglinton, Kipling-Eglinton, etc.)

I presume that this is just to differentiate them from the Bloor line stations though. I don’t see them renaming Kipling to Kipling-Bloor, at least not anytime soon. Especially after they didn’t bother to rename Eglinton station itself to Eglinton-Yonge, even though in the Toronto context it’s far more needed than here on Eglinton West.

Also, who knows how final the station names are. We’ve had normal names get messed up before being finalized before. I’m looking at Steeles West, particularly.
Don't get your hopes up. The names are placeholders just like they had on Finch West till they finalize a bunch of random names

Back