Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

20160824_C7594_PHOTO_EN_758440.jpg
This is what we're getting? A big, empty white wall? Come on, this has to be a joke!

Why would they leave a huge wall like that, in a very prominent location, just a big empty space? It makes no sense at all and it's not attractive!

Don't worry, this clearly isn't the final design. The building frontage isn't even shaped like that in real life. This must have been a very preliminary rendering.

The Uniqlo façade is being built exactly as in the rendering. The Eaton Centre tower screens are not. They're continuing to follow the city documents of two vertical screens occupying the height of the tower. They're going to completely obliterate the Samsung screen which until now seemed humongous.

BSeeCa8.jpg

Based on the renderings, it looks like there is still a "third" retailer (the brown two-storey storefront).

The floor plans and announced square footage still show Uniqlo taking the interior space to the west. I'm assuming Uniqlo really pushed for some street presence in negotiations... and successfully got a "hallway entrance" between Nordstrom and the "third" retailer (where the white facade goes down to street level). Looks like it also continues two-storeys above the yet-to-be-announced retail space.

This may be true. Based on the signage, Uniqlo will be on the "3rd floor, Dundas Atrium". I read that as you access the store from the atrium. Otherwise, it would say "At Yonge & Dundas".

O20p4a2.jpg

So then, what it is that wooden store? It's three weeks until opening day. No way they're going to have this big hoopla opening this redeveloped wing with an empty store anchoring the corner.

That wooden store probably isn't rendered correctly - Uniqlo likely filled in something generic for the render. I'm betting on a Joe Fresh.

The Uniqlo façade is being built exactly as in the rendering. The Eaton Centre tower screens are not. They're continuing to follow the city documents of two vertical screens occupying the height of the tower. They're going to completely obliterate the Samsung screen which until now seemed humongous.

BSeeCa8.jpg
The Uniqlo facade has not been built "exactly as in the rendering". The rendering shows a facade which is perpendicular to Yonge Street, and what has been built is at a 45° angle to it. I assume that was an early plan, mistakenly released now. Either the Uniqlo marketing people are geometry-challenged (more likely) of their render folk are truly clueless in this case.

Back