Toronto CrystalBlu Condos | ?m | 36s | Bazis | Burka

IMG_may-12-09-0087.jpg

This one is Uptown.

/\ Thanks for the legwork guys!

So it looks like the Blu's podium wont turn out anything like the renders...

CrystalBluR1.jpg

Image c/o ToBuilt.ca

Blu3_May12-09.jpg

Image c/o dt_toronto_geek

As you can see, the first set of windows on the north side was supposed to be double height. Instead, there are two rows of single height windows. Next, on the east face, the double height tree planters are missing, and probably won't be making an appearance at all. Even the entrance itself seems compromised as that large lintel between the two columns is missing (or omitted) in the render. There are more problems, but I have to ask - HOW HARD IS IT TO DRAW AN ACCURATE RENDER???

Renderings are based on architectural drawings at a certain phase of the approval process. Changes are often made at various stages. For example, the rendering above may be based on the drawings as they were at the Site Plan Approval phase, but changes may have been made later when getting the building permit to meet various OBC (Ontario Building Code) requirements. That may or may not have happened here, just a thought.

That's just the structure tho. The precast could be built out in such a way as to allow something similar to the original design to emerge

Marketing Renderings

I agree with you ProjectEnd ... but unfortunately there is always a disclaimer clause at the bottom of renderings ....

Artist's Impression...(aka pretty concepts that builders use to sell you units, not what is actually being built :rolleyes:)

I think I've mentioned this a thousand times, but a rending is 'an artist' impression often put together based on basic drawings done years prior to the actual blueprints and working drawings. That's all they are ... they are intended to give consumers a basic impression of what the future structure will look like and are not some kind of time machine into the future that will depict with explicit detail what will be built. I think they generally achieve what they are intended to do without getting to the point of silliness.

Project designs are often altered through the approvals process and at various stages of the design process and should in no way remain static based on what some design firm or individual hired a couple years prior to construction drew in their basement based on initial project concepts.

Why would an outside consultant (firms drawing renderings) have any idea what alterations would be required by the planning department or the building department or due to some obscure issue like a turning radius requirement that forces the developer to change entrance locations etc... It is also ridiculous to assume that with each tiny change a new rendering should be put together (FYI there was a previous Crystal Blu rending when the exterior of the building was curved - Bazis commissioned a new rendering when significant changes to the design occurred) - there aren't even any units being marketed for Crystal Blu - so why should renderings be updated anyway...

I've heard complaints before when renderings differ in terms of exteriors colours and small details such as detailing on balconies occurs - the contracts for trades, sub-trades and material suppliers are not put out to tender years in advance of construction and many decisions on exterior colours, details and materials are not finalized in some cases even until after construction has commenced - so the suggestion that every detail should be finalized years in advance of construction and effectively communicated to the person drawing renderings is absurd.

A rendering is an artistic impression (that should be obvious when half the buildings drawn are sitting in a serene forest with a flock of birds overhead). It is a marketing document usually completed years in advance of actual blue-prints or working drawings. It's often completed prior to planning approvals being finalized or any specific permits issued. Lastly building materials and supplier contracts aren't yet even on the horizon when renderings are put together.

This whole debate on perfectly accurate renderings is pretty silly given the length and level of detail in the development process.

I don't have any problem with minor details being left out when it comes to the actual building being built, however large changes such as the podium being completely changed should result in a newer render depicting how the final outcome of the building would look. Although the real estate industry is just as shady as the movie/music business it seems.

The building was sold out nearly a year ago - there is no purpose in updating a rending to make adjustments for the podium. I don't think any developers care about making new renderings anytime something is adjusted to satisfy skyscraper fans on the internet.

For this project - I think Bazis has enough issues on their plate that updating renderings everytime something changes is probably at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of priorities.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that once 2 or 3 more odd shaped floors are completed (the loft levels), Blu should start flying up a floor a week given the small footprint.
I'm not defending a developer's artistic renderings but I noticed that the third & forth floor plan appears to have what may be those indentations for the trees on the west side as illustrated in the render. Of course we know that floor plans are also subject to alterations.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I agree with Mike, there is no need to update the rendering once the building is sold out, it's a waste of money. I would rather see the approved exterior elevation drawings!

June 3rd Update

Blu is winning the race...

June 5th Update

From Balmuto Street

Back