News   Jul 12, 2024
 419     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 479     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It's near Black Creek.. what's the big deal? The station is between Black Creek and Weston.

It is a big deal. When people come and read these forums it does get confusing. I have heard it go back and forth so many time with some saying Black Creek and others Weston that i thought there was also a station at Black Creek You can't say there will be a station at Black Creek when its Weston station. Its like saying a station at West Side Mall instead of Caledonia

It also makes no sense that the LRT will surface and then go underground at Weston Rd to Jane. I agree it should go underground due to the overpass before Weston Rd and the homes on both north and south side of Eglinton which makes the area too narrow for above surface and 2 lanes of traffic.

Last edited:
Correct. If phase 2 is ever built, the only underground sections in that would likely be from Mt. Dennis to Jane, and on the run-in to and under the airport terminal.

I always thought that any future extension to the airport should have an underground station at the airport.

It is a big deal. When people come and read these forums it does get confusing. I have heard it go back and forth so many time with some saying Black Creek and others Weston that i thought there was also a station at Black Creek You can't say there will be a station at Black Creek when its Weston station. Its like saying a station at West Side Mall instead of Caledonia

It also makes no sense that the LRT will surface and then go underground at Weston Rd to Jane. I agree it should go underground due to the overpass before Weston Rd and the homes on both north and south side of Eglinton which makes the area too narrow for above surface and 2 lanes of traffic.

Alright I'm sorry for calling it Black Creek lol. It's Mt Dennis station http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/mount-dennis-station

I mean the bus terminal and secondary entrance are half way between Black Creek and Weston, but sure let's just call it Mt Dennis, I don't really care lol.

Calm down and take a minute. The LRT will cross Black Creek using a bridge, hence the overpass. This is because as Eglinton approaches Black Creek from the east it goes down a hill to a lower elevation before going back up a hill going west to meet Weston Road. Once the LRT passes Black Creek the train will dip down to go below the existing rail line and go underground. If you want, take some time and look at the metrolinx website to get a better understanding of the route with lots of visuals.

In phase 2, the LRT will continue underground until another portal on the side of the hill on the east side of Eglinton Flats approaching Jane Street.

Jane portal.jpg

Attachments

• Jane portal.jpg
    Jane portal.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 556
If the line is a huge success, no time should be wasted in planning phase 2 to Pearson. Hopefully the province will have finally recognized by then that getting to the airport is important not just for the high-flyers on the UPX.
Agreed. In fact, the best outcome would be a slightly re-purposed UPX (i.e., more like genuine transit) to YYZ along with this important crosstown option as well.

My dueling babies!

There's enough grass north of that section for it to emerge in a portal in the grass instead.

That may interfere with a future connection or tie in with a Jane LRT.

Jane Eglinton.jpg

While a legacy streetcar should handle a 11 m curve radius, the curves on the Transit City lines are to be built with a 25 m radius.

Attachments

• Jane Eglinton.jpg
    Jane Eglinton.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 444
Calm down and take a minute. The LRT will cross Black Creek using a bridge, hence the overpass. This is because as Eglinton approaches Black Creek from the east it goes down a hill to a lower elevation before going back up a hill going west to meet Weston Road. Once the LRT passes Black Creek the train will dip down to go below the existing rail line and go underground. If you want, take some time and look at the metrolinx website to get a better understanding of the route with lots of visuals.
This seems a contradiction. I am calm and am trying to understand. I know that stretch quiet well as I went by there every day for 9 years. So once LRT passes Black Creek it goes underground ( going below the existing rail line) is what you are saying and what it sounds like to me which means LRT is underground as it approaches Weston Road. I still do not understand why it has to re-emerge just to go underground again to Jane St. But before that, you say the LRT will cross Black Creek using a bridge. Are you saying bridge will be built along Eglinton Avenue east of Black Creek in the middle of Eglinton? Is that what I am seeing east of Black Creek in the middle of Eglinton?

This seems a contradiction. I am calm and am trying to understand. I know that stretch quiet well as I went by there every day for 9 years. So once LRT passes Black Creek it goes underground ( going below the existing rail line) is what you are saying and what it sounds like to me which means LRT is underground as it approaches Weston Road. I still do not understand why it has to re-emerge just to go underground again to Jane St. But before that, you say the LRT will cross Black Creek using a bridge. Are you saying bridge will be built along Eglinton Avenue east of Black Creek in the middle of Eglinton? Is that what I am seeing east of Black Creek in the middle of Eglinton?

The portal east of Black Creek is where the launch shaft is now and in use, in the middle of Eglinton Avenue West. The roadway will be shifted from the two lanes on the north side of the shaft to four lanes to the south side of the shaft.
attachment.php

Mount Dennis itself is a sandbar that was created by the ancient Lake Iroquois.
Ancient-Toronto-Map.gif
map_152.gif

The sand from Mt. Dennis was used for construction purposes. What is today Jane Park Plaza at Jane & Alliance (south of Jane & Eglinton) used to be a sand pit owned by the C. Smythe Ltd. (as in the original Maple Leaf Gardens). The park near that corner was named after him.
s1-4043a.jpg

I can see the sand from the excavation of the Mt. Dennis station and cut-and-cover tunnels being recycled to be used as concrete at that same site.

Last edited:

Back