News   May 13, 2024
 172     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

wouldnt a JANE LRT down to Dundas West via rail lines then Underground to union and up to don mills Eglinton via pape and back to surface from don mills Eglinton to Steels make more sense...

The eastern part of that does, but why would you create an LRT that would need to be underground that would duplicate an express rail service? And I don't think that if GO-REX is implemented that another local transit line into Union is warranted, aside from the Waterfront West and East Bayfront LRTs.

I do agree with the eastern part of it though. Ideally what I'd like to see is two lines running through the central tunnel along Queen. One route would run from Long Branch to Neville Park (the 501 route), with the western part being in-median LRT. The second route would run in-median along Jane to Eglinton, then follow the rail tracks to Keele, and then down Keele/Parkside to the Queensway, where it would merge with the Queen route. At Broadview it would split, turn north, and run the standard DRL route via Pape and Don Mills up to the Science Centre, where it would run in-median north of Eglinton again.

PS: I would build the Jane and Don Mills in-median sections first, and interline them with the Eglinton LRT until the Queen LRT is built.

maybe what makes more sense is for jane to go from steeles to eglinton, then interline till don mills, then again north up to steeles...

The people on these two lines can transfer to various GO stations on the eglinton route or continue to university,yonge subway....

Extend Sheppard to Downsview

Then for Downtown ressurect TRZs DRL http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=670156

If GO-REX gets implemented, then the DRL should be an underground LRT (like Eglinton) under Queen. The express trips will be carried by GO, leaving the more local trips to the DRL. And since Queen would need really small stop spacing (Bloor distance or less), then LRT is the best option to go with. It can also run surface west of Roncesvalles as the WWLRT.
A great idea, except that the Metrolinx modelling for the Big Move included both the DRL and the GO Regional Express trains, and put the peak-point 2031 DRL ridership at 17,500 - which is higher than the Bloor-Danforth which they estimated would drop to 16,400. The daily ridership would be almost 400,000 people.

With those kind of numbers it only makes sense to build it as heavy rail. Wouldn't cost much more ... but not as flexible.

A great idea, except that the Metrolinx modelling for the Big Move included both the DRL and the GO Regional Express trains, and put the peak-point 2031 DRL ridership at 17,500 - which is higher than the Bloor-Danforth which they estimated would drop to 16,400. The daily ridership would be almost 400,000 people.

With those kind of numbers it only makes sense to build it as heavy rail. Wouldn't cost much more ... but not as flexible.

I knew of the 17,500 model, but I was assuming that that didn't include the electrified GO lines.

In my head, I'm still torn between LRT and HRT. I know that HRT has the higher capacity, but the thing is HRT is only really justifiable south of Eglinton. Anywhere north of there and it would be just as big of a money pit as extending Sheppard east of Agincourt. On the other hand, the LRT may not be able to handle the projected ridership, especially if in-median LRT vehicles are limited to 3 cars. And with a lot of the long-range riders being transferred to GO, a lot of that long-haul demand will be shifted off of the TTC completely, which completely changes the dynamic. However, the suburban areas that the two arms of an LRT DRL would serve are in desperate need of local rapid transit. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. It all depends on how much emphasis you place on certain needs.

This is why one of my earlier proposals included a 4-tracked LRT DRL. Handles the capacity, and still provides connectivity to the outer areas via in-median LRT.

I knew of the 17,500 model, but I was assuming that that didn't include the electrified GO lines.
The modelling wouldn't account for how the line was powered, but it did include ALL the lines in the 25-year Big Move plan. Including the Lakeshore West Express Rail, Brampton Express Rail, Lakeshore East Express Rail, Mississauga Express Rail, and the also the Richmond Hill Express Rail. Richmond Hill, BTW, had by far the lowest annual ridership.

The modelling wouldn't account for how the line was powered, but it did include ALL the lines in the 25-year Big Move plan. Including the Lakeshore West Express Rail, Brampton Express Rail, Lakeshore East Express Rail, Mississauga Express Rail, and the also the Richmond Hill Express Rail. Richmond Hill, BTW, had by far the lowest annual ridership.

I wasn't referring so much to the way it was powered, but more the idea that when electrified, they can run more trains closer together than they can with a non-electrifed network. Unless you're running really long non-electrified trains, electrified lines will usually have a higher capacity.

And thanks for that link. I was trying to find projection charts like that at one point, but couldn't find them. What really strikes me with that too is that most of the Transit City LRT routes have really low peak hour travel numbers. There are several BRT projects in the 905 that outmatch them.

In my head, I'm still torn between LRT and HRT. I know that HRT has the higher capacity, but the thing is HRT is only really justifiable south of Eglinton.

I don't think the TTC actually has any HRT. Pretty certain the subway system is LRT (light rail alloys are used).

Anyway, in street median doesn't allow for as long of a vehicle due to the distance between lights. Otherwise you can make a 20 car long LRT train run every 60 seconds if you build the track in a loop.

Although I think the fares should be closer to TTC which would cause people to use the service. I do think at the same time there should be a slight premium to ride the GO. Emphesis on SLIGHT! The reason is that essentially GO would become the most desired service because it would be the quickest even over greater distances. For instance right now as a TTC supporter my list of transit modes from top to bottom is 1. SUBWAY 2. Streetcar 3. BUS (actually if I can walk Id prefer walking over the BUS)... In the future I always anticipated 1. SUBWAY 2. LRT 3. Streetcar 4. BUS/WALK.... In your system which sounds good on paper 1. GO 2. SUBWAY 3. LRT 4. STreetcar 5. BUS/WALK. I guess what Im suggesting is not only distance should be considered in price but also the quality of service. Example, if I ride a bus to ottawa its cheaper then a train which is also cheaper then a plane.

You are talking about pricing speed rather than distance directly. I would agree with that to a point. For example, if I could ride the Yonge bus from Union to Finch, why should I pay as much as a subway rider? This is why I have suggested that there be a flat fare for buses. And then a distance based add-on over the base fare for the rail network. That said, I would not want premiums for GO over the subway. Let people take whatever is fastest to get to where they are going.

As for GO becoming the primary system...Why should it matter? What's the big deal if GO becomes the primary system? Our goal should be to move people to where they want to go, not to defend one system as primary and the other as secondary.

Here's what would happen. The closer you get to the core the less things will change. If you're out in Scarborough or North York or Etobicoke however it's a different story. Out here, instead of a long bus ride to an East-West line to a North-South line, your commute will now be bus to GO station to Union or Summerhill (Crosstown GO hub) to Yonge subway.

This would cause the houses in walking proximity of GO lines to at least double in value... Im not saying thats a bad thing but let me know before implimenting this magical formula so I can buy some investment property.

There'd be plenty of warning. And several GO lines are already heading in this direction (Georgetown and Lakeshore for example). Aside from that, why should this be a big deal? Transit projects are announced all the time. Transit City would have raised property values a lot more than say a few areas around stations seeing larger property value increases.

Think the GTA's version of Berlin's S-Bahn system. It wasn't me who came up with GO-REX, someone on here mentioned it a long time ago. I just like the name because it's both catchy, and it describes it well.

I do believe Metrolinx themselves referred to such frequent heavy rail services as "regional express". The REX acronym maybe a UT thing though.

As for the pricing, I'd like to see it be $2.50 for subway or bus, and $3.00 for GO (token/Presto fare, cash would be higher).

I'd like to see $2 for bus if possible. But realistically without the subway network to draw on, bus fares would have to be recalibrated. I could see $3. There will have to be a debate on base fares for the subway (should they even be tied to bus fares at all?) The whole point of fare by distance is so that somebody downtown doesn't end up paying $3 to ride 4 stops. So either we set a very low base fare and a very high mileage rate or a higher base fare and a low mileage rate.

As far as I know there isn't a station at Sheppard West yet. But the adult fare from York University station to Union is $4.35. From Long Branch it's $4.30. So there is a small premium for GO Transit, but it isn't a huge difference.

I'd like to see fares based on real distances. So if from Sheppard West you went to Union, it shouldn't matter if you took GO or took the subway. This is the way to promote transit use. Make it easier for people to travel quickly.

If GO-REX gets implemented, then the DRL should be an underground LRT (like Eglinton) under Queen. The express trips will be carried by GO, leaving the more local trips to the DRL. And since Queen would need really small stop spacing (Bloor distance or less), then LRT is the best option to go with. It can also run surface west of Roncesvalles as the WWLRT.

In reality, GO enhancements will always play a catch-up game with the growing demand from 905, and that won't leave much room to serve 416. At best we can hope that some remote areas of 416 (southern and eastern Scarborough, southern Etobicoke, Rexdale) that currently don't have viable rapid transit, will get GO service frequent enough to be viable.

But GO won't divert enough riders from the core subway system to eliminate the need for a new HRT subway line through downtown. Given that such line will cost about as much as a fully tunneled LRT, it is better to choose HRT for the southern / downtown segment (even if that necessitates an extra transfer to LRT at Bloor or Eglinton).

The term predates the 70s. For example, the Light Railway act was passed in British Parliament in 1898.

Light rail and heavy rail have become better-defined terms that refer to specific things. But if you look into the history, it actually refers to the weight to the rail.

AFAIK.

I just came back from a drive east along Eglinton. The LRT will greatly benefit the area from Bathurst to Leslie. The Eglinton/Yonge intersection could have the potential to rival Yonge and Bloor as a destination if the Crosstown proves to be as popular as we think/are hoping it will be.

Back