News   Jul 12, 2024
 876     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 785     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 328     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Your problem are going to be the stations - I don't think there is room for more than 3 cars.
So you could do a 4-car HRT.

Hard to imagine that wouldn't be enough ... if it isn't enough in the year 2150, then build a subway/LRT, something along Lawrence or St. Clair to relieve it. Heck, build one along 401 that connects from SRT to Pearson ...

I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread; but is there an overall consensus about using an elevated Eglinton Crosstown between the valley and Kennedy?

Edit: Nvm. Read over the older pages. Looks like people have a similar idea of what's most optimal in the lower density sections. Shame our mayor is really limiting things to being tunneled.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread; but is there an overall consensus about using an elevated Eglinton Crosstown between the valley and Kennedy?

Edit: Nvm. Read over the older pages. Looks like people have a similar idea of what's most optimal in the lower density sections. Shame our mayor is really limiting things to being tunneled.

Good news is as soon as one of the PCs crosses the floor to the Libs then the opinion of Mayor McCheese means jack squat, as it's a Metrolinx funded and constructed line, they can tell him that they're doing elevated, and if he doesn't like it, TS.

I personally do favour an either elevated or trenched option. Something that gets grade separation, but isn't as expensive as tunnelling.

I see a bunch of spots on Eglinton with these trucks with tall metal scaffolding forming a vertical square column. Also I see trucks with well digging logos on them.

Are these the ones doing the soil sampling?

I also see small round holes in other spots on the roadway, which I'm presuming are drill holes for soil sampling.

It is because of the subway, not because of the lrt. Subway always has more impact.
Well, the development near Leslie has a picture of the LRT on it, and their website still has the old TC LRT map.

Both at-grade LRT and below-grade subway can stimulate development, but I agree that subway is more of an enticement. It is to me at least.

I see a bunch of spots on Eglinton with these trucks with tall metal scaffolding forming a vertical square column. Also I see trucks with well digging logos on them.

Are these the ones doing the soil sampling?
Yes, well-drilling contractors are often used for soil sampling. Same procedure, except you fill in the hole after, instead of installing a well.

Thx.

Nice to see all of this progressing. I think some were east of Leslie as well (in the area originally planned for at-grade LRT only).

Toronto's choice of using LRT, the most expensive option available between subway, SkyTrain, and monorail, had nothing to do with Toronto and everything to do with Thunder Bay.
Even Ford would love to be able to say Eglinton is getting a real subway as opposed to a tunneled LRT but Queen's Park would have none of it. Those LRT trains are being built in Thunder Bay and that meant real jobs for that depressed area. This was an election year and everyone knew that McGuinty wwould not get the cakewalk he did in the last 2 elections and he needed every seat available.
Now that the election is over Queen's Park may be willing to change their technology choice. As long as Bombardier gets the same size contract I can't imagine them bitching too much as no manufacturing of the LRT trains will begin for years.

Toronto's choice of using LRT, the most expensive option available between subway, SkyTrain, and monorail, had nothing to do with Toronto and everything to do with Thunder Bay.
Even Ford would love to be able to say Eglinton is getting a real subway as opposed to a tunneled LRT but Queen's Park would have none of it. Those LRT trains are being built in Thunder Bay and that meant real jobs for that depressed area. This was an election year and everyone knew that McGuinty wwould not get the cakewalk he did in the last 2 elections and he needed every seat available.
Now that the election is over Queen's Park may be willing to change their technology choice. As long as Bombardier gets the same size contract I can't imagine them bitching too much as no manufacturing of the LRT trains will begin for years.

It may be worth it to mention that our Subway trains are also built in Thunder Bay.

Dumb question perhaps... any mention of the upgradeability to HRT? is it still not upgradeable as in early bozo-tramsit-city-plans?

I think one of the other reasons is that the tunnels will be built to handle LRT grades and turns only. These will be steeper and tighter than anything HRT can handle. Once this is built, there is likely no upgrading to HRT.

I dont think it should be a concern if the crosstown can be converted into a subway. Leave it as it is withe same specs. 3 car LRT size stations. That is all we need. Automation can add capacity through increased frequencies.

If eglinton ever reaches capacity point (which btw we technically have yet to reach on the bloor/danforth line 50 years later) then we just build out Sheppard in the east and Finch LRT in the west. That plus improvements and electrification of go transit should be plenty. Add A DRL to that and your good to go. If bloor danforth numbers drop because of ghe crosstown, consider an eastern extension along eglinton to Markham road. Thats a super dense stretch there...and it connects to a go station as well.

Keeping the eglinton line lrt with 3 cars means we can build compact and more reasonable elevated stations between Leslie and Birchmount. There is so much open spaces of land we can use for transit atations. My favourite is the empty triangle at victoria park and eglinton. Its like that spot was made for an elevated transit hub....train above and multi bus bay station below.

Lets not forget the future eastern extension to malvern which is mostly elevated...smaller stations is key for the overall line. Stick to what is planned...3 lrt trains. No need to convert.

I don't see your point, I really don't.
Just because a tunneled line goes from LRT to subways doesn't mean you all of a sudden have to double the length of the stations....in fact quite the contrary.
100 meter {roughly 3 LRT trains} of subway has higher capacity than LRT as does 100 meter SkyTrain or monorail trains. If you are going to build 100 meter stations then why not build the systems with the highest capacity and get the most bang for your buck?
LRT is naturally more expensive to build {as confirmed by the Eglinton LRT office} than any other type of tunneled system due to the extra expense of the overhead power supply infrastructure. The whole advantage of LRT over other mass transit is that it can work along existing roadways and rail ROW where it does not need to be completely grade separated. This line is going to be completely grade separated so the advantage of LRT is completely gone. Toronto is building a system with lower capacity at a higher price with trains with shorter life expectancy than the other 3 major systems.
Add to that the fact that that because these are not compatible with the legacy streetcar replacement trains an entire new LRT garage, maintenance, and control centre must be built.
Using SkyTrain or subway cars would require expanded yards but that is still much cheaper than an entire new garage, maintenance, and support centre.
This is a ridiculous waste of funds and after it's all said and done it will be an expensive, lower capacity system.

100 meter {roughly 3 LRT trains} of subway has higher capacity than LRT as does 100 meter SkyTrain or monorail trains. If you are going to build 100 meter stations then why not build the systems with the highest capacity and get the most bang for your buck?
Because that capacity is not needed. It also limits future extensions. Imagine how much easier it would be to extend Sheppard if it wasn't HRT technology.

Yeah. I don't think Eglinton needs to be an HRT subway. If it ever reaches that capacity, non-local passengers can be diverted by building out Sheppard and Finch.

Back