News   Jul 15, 2024
 30     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The results felt like dog's breakfast - I am not sure if they are indicative of anything other than a general "more transit, good, but that's because I don't know the price tag of the different options on the offer".

AoD

It looks like they did mention the price tag in the polling question. Nevertheless, I’d agree that the public just wants something to be built. And I suspect the public doesn’t know any detailed information on the proposal.

Line 2 Bloor Danforth has a planned service speed of approximately 30.5 to 32 km/h

Line 1 has a planned service speed of about 28 to 31 km/h

Eglinton West LRT has a planned service speed of 28 to 31 km/h

https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/service_summary_2015_01_04.pdf

http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/defaul...l-design-options-sections-2.1-through-2-6.pdf

Curiously, the Line 2 night bus runs faster than the subway does. Amazing how fast buses can go when you don’t have pesky cars in their way.

Come 5 am December 13, riders are in for one rough ride for the rest of the week leaning how to use Kennedy Bus Terminal as well having POP ready to get on the buses from where the rider got on, not the station.

All riders using TTC 12, 21, 34E, 43, 57 and 131E must use the west end tunnel to get to the new bus bays for the next few years. All these routes as well the closure of the north entrance will be like this for the next few years to allow the building of the LRT station.

All these bus routes will turn left exiting the new area and will exit by Kennedy Rd exit only. All the rest of the routes will turn right onto Transit Way when exiting the current terminal, not like it is today. Even then, there is confusion on this change as some say it will happen on the 13th, while others say next year and this includes Metrolinx. The understanding I was told there today, once the new road is built off Eglinton, the current service road will be close.

Talk about confusion what is going to happen for the next 4 years is a understatement.

More than anything, I’m stunned by the low opposition to the project. Certain Etobicoke councillors seem to have greatly overestimated how much their constituents would oppose this project.

I feel like a decade ago, there would’ve been a lot more opposition.

While its nice to see, I really wouldn't take this poll too seriously.

This was done by the Nick Kouvalis polling company which if you know the history he has a personal vendetta against Ford, and has ties to the Tory campaign. So theres likely a keen interest to separate the moderate Tory on items that would favour Ford. I know Tory supported the review of the underground Eglinton West (he had to), but make no mistake this is a clear Ford agenda item in Ford country. While a few here don't believe pollsters are political tools that are used to try to subtly sway public opinion I firmly believe they are and have been for quite some time. Even Doug has found a more Ford friendly pollster here.

Keep on eye on the poll topics and the results from the different polling firms as the election rolls around. The reality is each candidate does their own internal polling to determine if their is real support, if most local politicians are campaigning on something which contradicts a certain poll, you likely can have a better idea of how people are likely to vote

Last edited:
While its nice to see, I really wouldn't take this poll too seriously.

This was done by the Nick Kouvalis polling company which if you know the history he has a personal vendetta against Ford,

Nick Kouvalis is one Principal of Campaign Research. The other is Richard Ciano, who served as the VP of the Conservative Party of Canada, and President of the Progressive Conservative party of Ontario.

Does this mean that they both don't hate Ford? Nope. But it's just something to keep in mind whenever Campaign Research releases a poll, and people inevitably claim they favour the Liberals/Conservatives because Nick Kouvalis/Richard Ciano serve as the Principals.

Nick Kouvalis is one Principal of Campaign Research. The other is Richard Ciano, who served as the VP of the Conservative Party of Canada, and President of the Progressive Conservative party of Ontario.

Does this mean that they both don't hate Ford? Nope. But it's just something to keep in mind whenever Campaign Research releases a poll, and people inevitably claim they favour the Liberals/Conservatives because Nick Kouvalis/Richard Ciano serve as the Principals.

Im sure they want to bury him just for the new polling firm promotion alone on top of the bad blood, and alignment with Tory. I just wouldn't put too much weight in their polls yet as the ones showing Ford losing by such a large margin seem hard to believe considering the importance of transit in this City and what has changed since Tory barely snuck by him on a short election.

Back then Tory had an amazing 3 stop subway and 20+ stop Smarttrack plan. There is now a one stop subway, no secured funding for Eglinton East LRT which was a cornerstone of the one stop, and a neutered 6 stop Smartrack There is no way this has gained him support in Scarborough, and there is no way those who voted for him on the Left to avoid Ford are all that thrilled either. Interesting to see such a favorable gap in the polls. Tory has been a great ambassador, and has the keep moving vote but I believe its much closer than some want and are led to believe when head to head with Ford.

Last edited:
Im sure they want to bury him just for aligning with a new polling firm alone on top of the bad blood, and alignment with Tory. I just wouldn't put too much weight in their polls yet as the ones showing Ford losing by such a large margin seem hard to believe considering the importance of transit in this City and what has changed since Tory barley snick by him on a short election.

Back then Tory had an amazing 3 stop subway and 20+ stop Smarttrack plan. There is now a one stop subway, no secured funding for Eglinton East LRT, and a neutered 6 stop Smartrack There is no way this has gained him support in Scarborough, and there is no way those who voted for him on the Left to avoid Ford are all that thrilled either. Interesting to see such a favorable gap. I believe its much closer than some want and are led to believe

I'm not sure if voters remember, or particularly care about the details of Tory's original transit plan. With the number of proposals we've had over the years, I can't blame the electorate for suffering from a severe case of transit-plan amnesia. At this point, I'm sure a lot of people just want something to be built.

More than anything, I’m stunned by the low opposition to the project. Certain Etobicoke councillors seem to have greatly overestimated how much their constituents would oppose this project.

I feel like a decade ago, there would’ve been a lot more opposition.

I'm not sure if voters remember, or particularly care about the details of Tory's original transit plan. With the number of proposals we've had over the years, I can't blame the electorate for suffering from a severe case of transit-plan amnesia. At this point, I'm sure a lot of people just want something to be built.

Yeah I think this is what I'd take away - both from the current general situation and the poll. The time for changing or looking to upgrade are long over, and people are kinda exhausted. Best to just get on with it, maybe one or two grade-separations. But just continue with the line as is, which is a huuuge upgrade and people will love.

Ditto with the night streetcars.

Mm, night streetcars. Best ride in town.

Torontonians Strongly Support Eglinton West LRT

Across Toronto:
At-grade LRT: 60% support, 13% oppose
Subway: 49% support, 23% oppose
Targeted separations: 59% support, 14% oppose

In Etobicoke-York:
At-grade LRT: 67% support, 8% oppose
Subway: 48% support, 22% oppose
Targeted separations: 59% support, 12% oppose
I think we need to pin this to the thread for Yvan Baker and Michael Ford who seem to think people only want subways and underground transit.

Back