News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 408     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

But it was a good compromise
Not really. It relied on the city building Sheppard using TIF - which turned out to be not possible. Turned Finch West into a BRT (if I'm remembering correctly), and did nothing on Sheppard east of Agincourt. Freeing up the money for not building east of Laird underground, found the money for both the Finch and Sheppard East LRTs - though that all got screwed up again later on ...

But it was a good compromise
It was (at least in context of the Eglinton corridor, as nfitz points out in the post above it called for compromise on Sheppard and Finch), and entirely coincidental and a product of political manuevering at the time, rather than any attempt at good planning practice (except perhaps on part of the councillor's staffers).

The plan's demise was likewise, entirely coincidental and a product of political manuevering. (Council sought to overthrow Ford's control on the transit profile, while concurrently, Stintz mayoral aspirations were beginning. edit: And of course, a repositioning by Ontario Liberals for Scarborough by-election.)

I would definitely reject any praise on Rob Ford's part for the compromise plan. We all know about Ford's complete illiteracy on transit planning.

Last edited:
Not really. It relied on the city building Sheppard using TIF - which turned out to be not possible. Turned Finch West into a BRT (if I'm remembering correctly), and did nothing on Sheppard east of Agincourt. Freeing up the money for not building east of Laird underground, found the money for both the Finch and Sheppard East LRTs - though that all got screwed up again later on ...
Agreed about finch but nothing is being built on Sheppard anyways

So with the increased cost of the Scarborough subway extension, there's only $214M left in funding envelope for the Eglinton East LRT (estimated to cost $1.6B). Tory now hopes the province and feds will come up with cash. In other words, his winning strategy is to keep asking for more money like he's been doing for his entire term in office with nothing to show for it. Sounds like a plan.

So with the increased cost of the Scarborough subway extension, there's only $214M left in funding envelope for the Eglinton East LRT (estimated to cost $1.6B). Tory now hopes the province and feds will come up with cash. In other words, his winning strategy is to keep asking for more money like he's been doing for his entire term in office with nothing to show for it. Sounds like a plan.
listen scarborough dug it's own grave so I'm not concerned about their eglinton east expansion. What I'd like to hear about is eglinton west even if it's not supposed to draw the same numbers

listen scarborough dug it's own grave so I'm not concerned about their eglinton east expansion. What I'd like to hear about is eglinton west even if it's not supposed to draw the same numbers

I reject that thinking. I want all parts of the city to get the best possible transit. Today was not a good news day by any means, even if I don't live in Scarborough.

I reject that thinking. I want all parts of the city to get the best possible transit. Today was not a good news day by any means, even if I don't live in Scarborough.
Will you say that if eglinton west is sacrificed? I'm happy for people getting transit but no one group should use up all the funds especially when some of their requests can be debated as vanity projects

Will you say that if eglinton west is sacrificed? I'm happy for people getting transit but no one group should use up all the funds especially when some of their requests can be debated as vanity projects

Looking at it objectively (not politically or personal benefit wise), it would be a greater loss to the city to lose Eglinton East. But it shouldn't have to be a choice between one or the other.

Looking at it objectively (not politically or personal benefit wise), it would be a greater loss to the city to lose Eglinton East. But it shouldn't have to be a choice between one or the other.
Both can still be built, it will just taken more creative funding.

If we were looking at things objectively the drl would have been first and then we would decide what to do next with the left overs.

If we were looking at things objectively the drl would have been first and then we would decide what to do next with the left overs.

The drl was not originally part of this discussion. We're talking about Eglinton.

Both can still be built, it will just taken more creative funding.

"Creative funding" - preferably not more of the same pixie dust magic ideas like tax increment financing that pretends not to raise taxes.

But we're not talking about eglinton west. I haven't heard the mayor or a councillor advocate for it since smarttrack eglinton west was shown to not be viable. Somehow it seems the west should be satisfied with RER.

Back